Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Retro-fitting HEPA filter in Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

LargeHamCollider

Battery cells != scalable
Jan 10, 2015
United States
This thread is to explore the feasibility of retro-fitting HEPA filters to Model Ys that were manufactured without HEPA filters standard. I don't own a Model Y but my parents have one that was manufactured in December 2020. My mom is quite sensitive to pollen and other particulate and I'd like to retro-fit the HEPA filter if feasible.

Some issues that could prevent this from working.

1. Space. The HEPA filtration system of filters will be larger, is there sufficient space for the new filters in the older build Model Ys?

2. Fan motor/electronic. Bio weapon defense mode implies moving a lot of air at significant back pressure. If the fan/motor was upgraded this might be a significant barrier if space constraints prevent the new module from being installed or if new software is needed to make it work. Likely you could just leave the fan motor the same and accept slightly reduced airflow.

3. Obtaining the proper filter housing, it's likely a COTS part but that is by no means certain.

4. Obtaining the filter elements. Again, likely COTS but not certain.

Anyone who takes delivery of a new Y, pictures of the system and part numbers if possible would be greatly appreciated!

I ask the tesla service about the retrofit for bio weapon defense filter for model Y they said soon

Attachments

• B7723E79-B159-4C39-A25F-905F6CE43AD3.png
    B7723E79-B159-4C39-A25F-905F6CE43AD3.png
    271.8 KB · Views: 1,022
Im excited for this... so based on this thread, the retrofit doesnt replace the cabin filters, so Im guessing its still fine to replace those with batter HEPA filters.....
No! The standard cabin filter needs to be the same as OEM filtration. Increasing filtration by going to hepa will restrict air flow and cause issues in the long run.

Reactions: SageBrush