Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Retro-fitting HEPA filter in Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not really. They are 6mm hex head (not Torx) bolts from the factory but I don’t know what size socket you need.

If your car doesn’t have the captive nuts then you need to use rivet nuts which reduces the bolt size to M5x20 and who knows what head people are buying.
Thank you, after further review after it was towed to the Service Center it was determined my 5 day old Y has a “crimped ground strap“. So the cars error messages were incorrect.

Installed HEPA filter today. Took maybe 30 minutes to remove old duct and install HEPA filter. However, apron that I had in the car is exactly the same that I've bought - is says 1619812-00-B on the packaging, but it has 1492605-00-B molded on the plastic itself (same number on the original apron I took from the car)
Did Tesla sell me the wrong part or aprons are really the same? They have vent cuts only on left half.

Attachments

• photo_2022-09-05_22-24-59.jpg
    photo_2022-09-05_22-24-59.jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 117
  • photo_2022-09-05_22-23-37.jpg
    photo_2022-09-05_22-23-37.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 80
  • photo_2022-09-05_22-22-40.jpg
    photo_2022-09-05_22-22-40.jpg
    219.2 KB · Views: 82
Installed HEPA filter today. Took maybe 30 minutes to remove old duct and install HEPA filter. However, apron that I had in the car is exactly the same that I've bought - is says 1619812-00-B on the packaging, but it has 1492605-00-B molded on the plastic itself (same number on the original apron I took from the car)
Did Tesla sell me the wrong part or aprons are really the same? They have vent cuts only on left half.
Sounds like they have you the wrong part. 1619812-00-B is the correct HEPA part. Vents should go all the way across, not just the left side.

agreed. i just got mine 2 weeks ago and it went all the way across. they were about to give me the wrong one but i told them for the hepa and they took it back and gave me the vents.

Sounds like they have you the wrong part. 1619812-00-B is the correct HEPA part. Vents should go all the way across, not just the left side.
At this point the question for @KirillK is: do the additional/updated apron vents really make that much of a difference?

In hindsight I think would have preferred to just use my old apron so I wouldn't have a spare sitting around taking up space.

They did not ccome for me they did the update over the air. They told me they connected to.my car remothly and it took like a few minutes
Was it a mobile service appointment, or technical support request? These are two different paths through the app - first goes to the closest service center (and they don't want to enable biodefense mode), second goes to the main contact center.

Quick update - went to the service center to swap the apron. Got the right one. But they still don't want to enable biodefense mode. Instead of arguing on explaining, service center manager sent me directly to NCDS to file a dispute. Sad...

Quick update - went to the service center to swap the apron. Got the right one. But they still don't want to enable biodefense mode. Instead of arguing on explaining, service center manager sent me directly to NCDS to file a dispute. Sad...
It's not their job to enable it. Until there is an official upgrade path you are asking them to do something that isn't approved. Honestly I'm surprised they're still allowing these parts to be sold, be happy with that and don't hassle them or all our nice things disappear.

Reactions: jd007 and KirillK
It's not their job to enable it. Until there is an official upgrade path you are asking them to do something that isn't approved. Honestly I'm surprised they're still allowing these parts to be sold, be happy with that and don't hassle them or all our nice things disappear.
I understand what you are saying. I don't want to say that their response was wrong.
Do they have an ability to make customer happy just by connecting with a computer and changing air filter setting from "standard" to "HEPA"? Yes. I showed the technical that I have HEPA filter in the car by popping the trunk and removing the apron. He agreed that there is no hardware difference between my 2021 Model Y and new Model Y with HEPA filter from the factory. But since his system shows that my car didn't have HEPA filter from the factory, he will not change that setting for me. He confirmed that there is no guidance from HQ about that - it is purely technician's discretion.

Usually when such retrofits start to happen massively, manufactures release a TSB for their dealerships explaining what to tell customers. I assume that at some point of time Tesla HQ will release some guidance what do with customers like us and how to react to requests to enable biodefense mode.

Was it a mobile service appointment, or technical support request? These are two different paths through the app - first goes to the closest service center (and they don't want to enable biodefense mode), second goes to the main contact center.
It was a mobile appointement and once the estimate was approuve then they did it over the air. After have the button for almost 2 weeks I can say that there is not much difference by not having it. On manual speed is a bit faster maybe 1 or 2 notch and automatic not noticeable. When you press the BWM it does put the fan at speed 8 and that is about it. So by not having it there is not a lot missing except a button that you think air is passing thru Hepa but it is already passing there without a button

they had to create a new one because the tech didn't have a cable to plug into the vehicle
so this friday.. we shall see. I didn't get any no we can't do it though. IT was more like so you have the hepa filter installed but the air flow is bad. ok
funny why they are not able for air update or remotely like they did for me. Maybe that was a test to do it that way in the futur. that way no cable no travel. They just text me close your sentry mode for 30 minutes and after it was done took about 15 minutes