Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Retro-fitting HEPA filter in Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reporting back. Today I was waiting in the car and the fan felt extra strong. I went to turn down the Fan and saw the Biohazard button! Yes! Tesla did it remotely and free of charge. There is also a message in my Tesla app from a nice technician explaining that the work has been done and no need for an appointment. If you haven’t got the button, now it is time to message Tesla.
What is the build date of your MY?

Thanks - I have a build date of 6/20, but I retrofitted a while back. Hopefully they are good with enabling for my early build.
Same here with 6/20 build date and retrofitted a while back. If you have any luck with getting Tesla to update your software to reflect the retrofit, please report back. I haven't tried recently, but I bombarded them with this request a while back so I'm hesitant to annoy them again.

02/21 Build date here reporting back for folks in a similar vein for just trying to get the button enabled after a DIY install.

I purchased parts OTC in September/October for roughly $255 after tax and such and did the installation myself.
The HEPA assembly is $200 bucks now.

For the software portion this week, I was able to submit a request for mobile service, but the local SC closed it out, mentioning a retrofit was not available. (Old info on the SC side)
I had to ask them to verify if they had checked the latest service bulletins, and I attached a screenshot of a previous person's service statement posted on the forums here that showed Tesla having an official retrofit line-item. This helped the local Service Center realize this is now official, as it seems to be newly rolling out.
Because the first one was closed, I opened a second request, and mobile service came out a few days later to validate the install, and enable the button
(was the next available appointment)

Mobile tech came out this morning, enabled the button, and within 15-20 minutes, he was all said and done.
Most of the issue was needing to do a 12V reset and then the button appeared. - What is weird is that even though my appointment was slated for the button, he also arrived with HEPA retrofit parts to install, even when I had the request mentioned the part was installed. (included a picture of my installation) - may have just been a 8 am coffee brain fluke.

All in all - It was $30.75 bucks to enable the button for a DIY install.

(sorry for all the info, but hopefully helps someone else going through a similar process.)

Oh Noooo. looks like bad news for ALL. I just received this from Tesla.
SmartSelect_20231110_081732_Tesla.jpg

Oh Noooo. looks like bad news for ALL. I just received this from Tesla.
View attachment 989488

Checking my vehicle config, my button is still there.
My request was originally with the Virtual service team as well, too, and they were the ones who actually got me set up with the appointment after my local service center kept closing it.

It may have helped that when I submitted my request from the previous Reddit post that someone linked a few updates ago, it showed that there is a Retrofit for Y's after Jan 8th 2021, so that might have be the delineation.

Will be keeping an eye on my vehicle config if it changes.

(Note, image originally from This reddit post)
lvtr3q6o26yb1.jpg

Just wondering if this helps with car fume smell when in not recirculating mode. One of my bigger issues with this car is when i press that recirculating button and the weather is somewhat damp, then my whole windshield will fog up in an instant. Been in a few instances where it got quite dangerous