Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Retro-fitting HEPA filter in Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m curious, what are the benefits to the HEPA, aside from the awesomeness of having a “bio-defense button”?
For people who drive I-5 up between south and north passing the cow farm, live in an area with cows, drive on the 710 daily with diesel trucks, live in the ghetto where people remove their cats and straight pipe for a grand 5HP boost with the loudest sounding fart can known to man to compensate their insignificant manhood. But mainly, laugh at the raised trucks coal rolling us and not having to breathe it in.

Overall, there are many reasons, but it does make a roadtrip/commute somewhat pleasurable not smelling the stink of CA.

Reactions: kishkaru
Agree - I still am in the dark why this won't work. I have a later heated steering wheel, and the pins line up, wires are there, and part numbers for the left control unit are the same for the 20 and 21 MYs, and the heated steering wheel module is in the wheel itself.
Maybe removing a steering wheel is a higher liability for the service personnel than a HEPA airbox?
They might have only offered the HEPA upgrade as it can be easily done by mobile service. (e.g. very little impact on service load)
Removing a steering wheel might need service center equipment

For people who drive I-5 up between south and north passing the cow farm
There's actually TWO CAFO's between SF and LA now along I-5... Both stink for miles.

Reactions: secprotocol
None really except if you live in California and are dealing with brush fires on a regular basis however once one gets out of the car, your lungs deal with whatever is there anyway. It's not like people are dying because their 20 minute commute to work does not have filtered hospital quality air in it. Your entire day out of the car not to mention while sleeping, does not have bio defence mode unless you have some really elaborate clean air system in your home or you decide to sleep in your car. :)

That being said, the S did come with it, hit the bio button once to see what it does and never used it again in the 2 years I have owned the car.
We had Canadian wildfires blow down to Chicagoland for weeks this past summer. You could see and smell the burning wood and it affected some people. Would have been nice to have this then and try it out. Agree with you on your points.

Does this retrofit help resolve the issue of the smelly A/C especially in the summer time?
Yes it will since the earlier models had a poorly engineered intake which would allow water to enter causing the cabin filter to get wet causing the smell. Does not happen with the bio defence style. There was a good video regarding this however I cannot seem to find it.

Reactions: terraform
What a great video, kudos for finding it. Hope Tesla engineering sees it!
This engineering screwup only applies to 2020 and some 2021 model Y's since later in 2021 they all got the Bio defence style which also fixed the water issue. Personally we have never had the smell so many complain about then again its not like we are drivng in the rain constantly either. I still have ordered the upgrade to be installed in the near future.

This engineering screwup only applies to 2020 and some 2021 model Y's since later in 2021 they all got the Bio defence style which also fixed the water issue. Personally we have never had the smell so many complain about then again its not like we are drivng in the rain constantly either. I still have ordered the upgrade to be installed in the near future.
I have early 2021 MY and the odor issue is real. Thank goodness for this retrofit!

Maybe removing a steering wheel is a higher liability for the service personnel than a HEPA airbox?
They might have only offered the HEPA upgrade as it can be easily done by mobile service. (e.g. very little impact on service load)
Removing a steering wheel might need service center equipment

There's actually TWO CAFO's between SF and LA now along I-5... Both stink for miles.

Just FYI, I had my '21 heated steering wheel replaced by mobile service while I was at work (the "leather" was bubbling).

Retrofit is scheduled for December 22nd.

Reactions: kishkaru
fingers crossed. Let's hope they not gonna charge me $326.63. Charging me full amount and I already have HEPA installed just not right.

Maybe if they charge you, you will have a good case for having it included in your warranty... This is why I've waited for the retrofit, just like I did with the power trunk on my 3.

If they don't charge you, I can see an argument for them voiding any part of the warranty they can say was a result of the self retrofit...

So, if they do charge you, maybe there will be something good that comes of it?