Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Retrofit CCS compatibility onto earlier (NA) Model 3 - DIY approach

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Folks we have liftoff! CCS enabled!

Installing the new ECU was relatively simple. The worst part was removing the trim pieces and then reinstalling them. Also those clips that go into the ECU were a royal PITA to get out of the old ECU. Sure enough I had the crappy GEN4 "80-B" variant. Charging did not work after installing the new GEN4 "00-B" ECU (I tried just for fun) and error codes popped up. I figured I would be getting software update soon by looking at TeslaFi, but lucky me got it this afternoon shortly after my new ECU arrived. When installing the software update I heard a lot of weird noises that I hadn't heard before on previous software updates; the screen showed the ECU was being updated during that time.

Did you" power down" the car before swapping the connectors from the old ECU to the new ECU?

So, after powering down and back up both 12V and HV, the vehicle will remain in Service Mode? Assuming you got it in Service Mode prior.
No idea as I did not use service mode at all as I do not live near a service center. I waited for a software update before proceeding. The service mode thing is to avoid having to wait for a software update.

Reactions: android04
As luck would have it, my September 2021 Model 3 has a software update available today and I have service scheduled today.

So what I would need to do is buy a 1537264-00-B ECU while I'm at the service center (what did you all pay?), perform the swap then run the software update and I should be all good?

So, after powering down and back up both 12V and HV, the vehicle will remain in Service Mode? Assuming you got it in Service Mode prior.
Yes, it stays in Service Mode through a power-off and restart. You're not really disconnecting HV there though - you're disabling the contactors so it opens the HV inside the battery (which is powering the 12v - both before and after disconnecting the battery - any time the car is awake, it's living on the HV battery, not the 12v battery :) ).

How are you able to precondition the battery in order to get that high of a speed?
Add a Supercharger after your CCS destination - so you're actually navigating to the CCS station to charge, but the car thinks you're going to a Supercharger next, so it heats just like it would to a SC. This is how I always do it when navigating to a CCS station -- navigate to the CCS station, then insert any nearby Supercharger after it with "edit trip".

See here for deets:
Well, it's more nuanced than "if under 11% then sad battery". I've watched internal behaviors on CAN while road tripping :)

The default temperature is 87f (or 86f? keep getting the two twisted in memory). This is the target it will try to maintain by isolating the battery loop, adding the motor(s) to the loop to absorb waste heat, or using the radiator to dump heat. That's the standard "passive" target.

It'll bump up the passive levels if navigation enters a "supercharging mindset". The logic behind that is unreliable beyond just navigating to the next SC. If your active navigation destination is a Supercharger, it will be in "supercharging mindset". The unreliable part is that, sometimes, you can have a Supercharger ahead of your immediate next destination, and it'll still precondition for the upcoming SC. If the SC is >1 stop ahead (not the next stop), it won't run, normally - but similarly, sometimes for no discernable reason, it'll stop preconditioning or not start at all - so it's somewhat unreliable.

The text on the screen saying "preconditioning battery" ONLY seems to appear when ActiveHeat is active - when it's actively heating the battery.

If there are other cases where it IS preserving heat (supercharging mindset) but not actively heating, it won't say "preconditioning battery" - nothing will be shown, but the behavior is still preserving heat.

When preconditioning, it seems to target 100-110f, maybe higher - but depends on SOC% as to what temp it goes for.

Supercharging itself also heats up the battery pretty quickly, so if it's 250kW, you really don't even need preconditioning if you're arriving at like 5%.

The worst thing you can do is have no navigation destination set. Then, it'll target 87f, and dump any preconditioning heat energy on the ground as you drive!

Yes, it stays in Service Mode through a power-off and restart. You're not really disconnecting HV there though - you're disabling the contactors so it opens the HV inside the battery (which is powering the 12v - both before and after disconnecting the battery - any time the car is awake, it's living on the HV battery, not the 12v battery :) ).

Thanks. After powering everything back up, do you click the 'Install Software' button in the Service Mode menu or will it then detect and prompt to install it normally?

Was the $0.48 per kWhr rate CAD or USD? I may have missed the charging location. I initially assumed CAD due to your location. But the mix of Electrify America and Electrify Canada stations threw me off a bit.
I was in Bellingham, WA. $0.43 USD plus taxes. Here in Canada we are stuck with per minute billing until the Canadian Government allows for billing by kWh. It should be kWh everywhere. Imagine paying for filling your car with gasoline and charged differently because the pump was slower or faster. No one would stand for that. It's time for a change in Canada.

I was in Bellingham, WA. $0.43 USD plus taxes. Here in Canada we are stuck with per minute billing until the Canadian Government allows for billing by kWh. It should be kWh everywhere. Imagine paying for filling your car with gasoline and charged differently because the pump was slower or faster. No one would stand for that. It's time for a change in Canada.

Thanks for the clarification. That is about unfathomable to charge only on time and not the amount consumed.

Thanks for the clarification. That is about unfathomable to charge only on time and not the amount consumed.

Here is an example in Quebec:

6091B282-6F85-4A4A-ACC8-2CD2163F062C.png

Thanks. After powering everything back up, do you click the 'Install Software' button in the Service Mode menu or will it then detect and prompt to install it normally?
"Yes". 🙃 (don't ya love it when you ask an either/or question and someone responds with just "yes" :) )

You tap the button to install (it doesn't offer doing so on its own), but it also does pop up to say "software update required" or "incompatible software versions" (depending on if your new ECU had already been installed/flashed in a car, or if it's virgin/brand new).

Have you tried pre-conditioning your car before charging? A cold not pre-conditioned battery will charge much slower.
I had precondition the battery before changing for about 30 minutes. It should not the problem of my car this time as this supercharger is newly opened just for a week and still under turning. So it is okay for me, since the supercharger is in front of a 7-11 convenient store and I can spend my time on eating meal inside the store for maybe 40 minutes, no hurry. I am so happy I can use so many new CCS superchargers while other Tesla owner still need to wait on Supercharger lines.

Reactions: DoubleDD
Status
Not open for further replies.