Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Retrofit to matrix (global) headlights?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Following @Daytonaviolet I originally planned on DIY but ended it getting it fully installed at a shop in the Sacramento area. However, it seems that the outer bumper clips has changed from non-matrix to matrix headlight and no longer clips to my mid-2022 bumper leaving ~1/8" gap. I'm a bit concerned about water intrusion so am contemplating putting some foam tape to narrow the gap.

@Daytonaviolet Did you encounter this issue? My bumper still has the ultrasonic sensors so perhaps this isn't an issue for bumpers without parking sensors.

MatrixBumperGap.jpeg

Bumper to Headlight Gap

Matrix Headlight Clip
MatrixClip.png

Non-Matrix Headlight Clip
NonMatrixClip.png

Last edited:
I didn’t encounter any fitment issues. I can take closer pics when my wife returns.

Questions:
1. The matrix light has a new lower bracket system attached to the light. Did your shop retain this ?

2. From looking at the pic, seems the shop didn’t align/seat bumper lip correctly to the lower/side portion of the bracket system.

IMG_5178.jpeg
IMG_5177.jpeg
IMG_5133.jpeg

Last edited:
@Rover8

Just to confirm, this is the top view of the passenger side matrix light ? I do remember encountering something like this. It’s like the red area needs to seat first before the green area. I think your shop seated the green area first, which does not allow the red area to seat.

View attachment 1028665
Yeah, photo is passenger side top view. I was able to get the driver's side flush somehow but still struggling on passenger side. The order is seating front side clip, then the red area clip (this is the part that isn't latching well), then the clip toward the wheel arch (above the green area). There's no clip in the green circle.

I didn’t encounter any fitment issues. I can take closer pics when my wife returns.

Questions:
1. The matrix light has a new lower bracket system attached to the light. Did your shop retain this ?

2. From looking at the pic, seems the shop didn’t align/seat bumper lip correctly to the lower/side portion of the bracket system.

View attachment 1028659View attachment 1028660View attachment 1028661

The new bracket system is there (I don't think it's removable like the non-matrix). The shape of the side clip is different than that of the screwed on side bracket/clip of the non-matrix which is probably causing the fitment challenges.

Matrix_vs_NonMatrix Bracket.png

@terranx What was damaged with the matrix headlights you received?

Attachments

• MatrixHeadlight.jpeg
    MatrixHeadlight.jpeg
    302.7 KB · Views: 10
Yeah needs to be gigabit mode. And from what I'm reading in the documenation of other media converters, it also needs to be set to "legacy" mode instead of IEEE mode (presumably whatever chip Tesla was using was produced before the spec was finalized).

With gigabit mode, the status LEDs will be blinking green. You could switch between gigabit and 100mbit by holding any button for a ~3 seconds.

For legacy mode, the LED on Master / Slave / Auto will be blinking purple (instead of blue). To set legacy mode, hold the slave button as you power on the device.

The settings should be remembered, so you shouldn't have to set all that every time.

Also if you're able to get samples from TE, it might be worth grabbing some of their GEMNet connectors. They look like they're made to be compatible with H-MTD, though it isn't outright stated. Crimping one of those on to one end of the matenet wire would probably do the trick. Looks like they only recently launched so Mouser et al don't quite have stuff in stock yet.
Thanks for all the info, switching from 100 to 1000 / yellow to green works. I then put in legacy mode too. When I power up each time now, the center slave button blink purple, and the two led lights below it blink green. I tested turning off and back on and it remembers the settings as well. I was getting the run around w TE, so at this point, just need to wait another week or two for my china cable I guess....

Ugh, two attempts to get a ****ing driver headlight from ebay, both arrived with undisclosed damage

Anyone know how much these things cost direct from Tesla?
One of mine, of the pair, had a one inch cut (like a blade ran crossed it) across the front glass. I guess I'm just going to deal with it and just keep though. Zapaska was the ebay seller I got them from....wondering if yours was from the same guy?

One of mine, of the pair, had a one inch cut (like a blade ran crossed it) across the front glass. I guess I'm just going to deal with it and just keep though. Zapaska was the ebay seller I got them from....wondering if yours was from the same guy?
No I tried two different vendors. 1st one was advertised used and would have been in decent shape had he not packed it idiotically. Tabs broke in transit. Second one was advertised as new, but clearly wasn't. The lateral screw mount is broken and minor damage to one of the mounting tabs. This one I *could* fix without much effort, but for the money and the fact that it was advertised as new, I can't accept unless he gives me a hefty discount.

I was tempted to try Zapaska next, but the cut isn't ideal.

Funny enough the passenger headlight I ordered was the cheapest and from the sketchiest seeming ebay vendor.. yet arrives in perfect condition. I would have beleived this one was new if advertised as such.

No I tried two different vendors. 1st one was advertised used and would have been in decent shape had he not packed it idiotically. Tabs broke in transit. Second one was advertised as new, but clearly wasn't. The lateral screw mount is broken and minor damage to one of the mounting tabs. This one I *could* fix without much effort, but for the money and the fact that it was advertised as new, I can't accept unless he gives me a hefty discount.

I was tempted to try Zapaska next, but the cut isn't ideal.

Funny enough the passenger headlight I ordered was the cheapest and from the sketchiest seeming ebay vendor.. yet arrives in perfect condition. I would have beleived this one was new if advertised as such.
What does cut isn’t ideal mean ?

The guy I quoted said his light from Zapaska has a long cut in the lens.
I purchased two sets of matrix lights (msp and mxp) and both sets were new and flawless from the same seller. I have about a dozen other folks who also purchase from same seller. Unless stated otherwise, these lights are new.

My lights came with many layers of bubble wrap and took 15min to carefully remove it. Is it possible the other guy used a utility knife and accidentally cut the lens ?

@Rover8

Here’s the passenger side of my mxp matrix
View attachment 1028736
I attempted to loosen the headlights thinking it might help but still not able to fully clip on the passenger side. Driver's side looks perfect so at least it shouldn't be hard to convince the shop that it's possible. It's just a bit of a drive for something that may only take a few minutes to fix.
@Rover other then the fitment issue, how’s the matrix ?
It doesn't disappoint for sure and I'm also excited hear that adaptive high beam may be enabled for US soon. I do feel the MY Matrix Headlights are a tad brighter and it seems that the adpative feature (AFS) is no longer available. The matrix lights do swivel so hopefully they can activate AFS in future software update.

Reactions: Daytonaviolet
I purchased two sets of matrix lights (msp and mxp) and both sets were new and flawless from the same seller. I have about a dozen other folks who also purchase from same seller. Unless stated otherwise, these lights are new.

My lights came with many layers of bubble wrap and took 15min to carefully remove it. Is it possible the other guy used a utility knife and accidentally cut the lens ?
I also purchased the MXP matrix lights from Zapaska and they looked new (2024.1 production date). The set @Daytonaviolet received had plastic protective film on the lens which I didn't have but maybe it was because I picked it up directly.