Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Return of phantom 16 amp charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have also had the dreaded 4kw charge today. First time (on 2020.20.17) and at work. Weird thing is yesterday & last Friday it charged fine.

Luckily i could stop/start via the app to get back to 7/8kw but happened 3 times during my charge

First charge on 28.2 last night, from 38% to 90% (M3 LR AWD)

The fact that it was complete by early this morning implies that it didn't suffer the 16A issue - don't have any other way to tell but it's a positive sign on the first attempt.
A good solution to that is to use TeslaFi - useful info about charging, driving, performance, cost etc.
I’ll send you a referral code if you’re interested.

A good solution to that is to use TeslaFi - useful info about charging, driving, performance, cost etc.
I’ll send you a referral code if you’re interested.
Thanks, not too interested tbh - feels like a rabbit hole to obsession about all of those things and I'm happy just seeing the battery % on the screen / app :)

(it's a lease so not worried about battery degradation as I'll only have the car for 3 years, and my charging is free in my flat's underground car park except for the monthly membership with Polar)

Hi Guys.

First post. I bought a December 2014 Tesla s 85 on Monday this week. Charged it at a hotel until I got my home charger installed yesterday. The hotel charger was not a supercharger but charged it at 30 miles per hour. First time using new Tesla wall charger and I am only getting 8 Miles per hour, max 16 amps. Can I assume this is the new software glitch and this will be resolved soon.

Cheers.

Hi Guys.

First post. I bought a December 2014 Tesla s 85 on Monday this week. Charged it at a hotel until I got my home charger installed yesterday. The hotel charger was not a supercharger but charged it at 30 miles per hour. First time using new Tesla wall charger and I am only getting 8 Miles per hour, max 16 amps. Can I assume this is the new software glitch and this will be resolved soon.

Cheers.
S/w 2020.20.12, 20.17 & 24.6 all seem to have the fairly random 16 amp charging problem.
28.1 and or 28.2 have apparently fixed it
See what you’ve got installed

Hi Guys.

Cheers.

In the car, if the charge speed is 16/16 it’s probably settings in your TWC. If it’s 16/32 it’s probably the bug.

Charge a few times and if you never get 32A
contact your installer.

The hotel charger was not a supercharger but charged it at 30 miles per hour. First time using new Tesla wall charger and I am only getting 8 Miles per hour, max 16 amps. Can I assume this is the new software glitch and this will be resolved soon.

Welcome. Are you sure that the wall connector was setup to do 32A? Also depending on your electricity supply, 16A may not be wrong. You don't mention how electrically your charger is connected to the house (fuse supply would tell you that), but it sounds like single phase 16 or 32A. Presumably the wall connector was set up to match? There is an internal rotary switch that needs to be configured. The only way to know for sure is to look at the charge info and the second of the 2 digits. If you have 16/16 then the car is drawing what it should be (but wall connector may not be setup properly), if it says 16/32, then there could be other reasons for that, one of which is the charge bug.

Sounds like your 30mph charge was 3 phase at 11kW, so that would be 3 x 16A.
Your 8mph at 16A sounds a little low, but its very much dependent on the car. With current Model S', looks like you would expect 11mph at 16A and 7mph at 10A.

[edit] above came in mid post

Reactions: CMc1
There is an internal rotary switch that needs to be configured.
I believe someone ages ago had this problem and the rotary switch was set incorrectly. Might be the cause why the charger will only give 16amps (Worth a check - Nr 6 seems to indicate 32amps)

Of course you need to work back to the cause. Start with the car to make sure no settings are incorrect as @VanillaAir_UK & @NewbieT mentions above.

Also if the cable you use is 16amps that can also cause the issue? - i did this once using a volvo hybrid cable that was only 16amps and wondered why i was not getting 32amps

Also before you dive in - Safety First! - Power the lot off at the mains

Switch Charger1.JPG
Switch Charger2.JPG

• Informative
Worth remembering that it may be at a non 32A setting for a reason, ie limited by cable (not so obvious), fuse (a bit more obvious), something else (even less obvious)

Also worth noting that there is a fragile ribbon cable that needs to be disconnected before getting to the switch. So don't just go taking the front off otherwise you could well damage something.

Also, the chart above looks wrong for UK Gen 2. No mention of < 12A setting which there definitely is. iirc the definitive list is on the inside of the lid.