Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Return of phantom 16 amp charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And I'm still stuck on 2020.20.17 where the problem definitely isn't fixed - had a 2.5 hour charge today and it dropped after an hour. Come on Elon - give me the new firmware!

Attachments

• charge-details.png
    charge-details.png
    74 KB · Views: 51
Some bad news ... for me anyway. My first charge since updating to 24.6.4 was a disaster. Previously if the reduced charge affected me at all it was only a partial "hit" and the car would tend to recover its charge rate without intervention. However the charge in the early hours today has given me a full dose of what other people have described ... sad evidence attached:
charge1207x.jpg

Car was plugged in to kick off charging at 00:30.

Charge starts at 7/8kw, then after just 10 minutes drops down to 4kw, found out this morning when the charge hadn't completed when I woke up!

It's a Tesla charger, no issues before the .12 release. You can see in the graph it goes to 7kw again this morning, that was me after I rebooted it and kicked off the charge again to get it to 90%.

Screenshot 2020-07-12 at 10.26.46.png

• Helpful
Reactions: CMc1 and Roy W.
Tesla won’t get away with this type of mass-impact for much longer, they need to learn how to ring fence / regression test their code properly.

Bunch of staffers sipping cool-aid doing software releases is the impression given. It doesn’t matter of the product is funky or not, people base their lives around travel and flexibility. It’s not like home charging points are provided FOC by Tesla either - everyone is investing money in creating a home petrol station to make the cars a success in the real world ....

They also have to stop this nonsense of “when we get round to it you’ll find out” for certain categories of issue. Otherwise they may find vehicle parked straight through service centre doors on quite a large scale.

Behaviours will only change as the user community decides they don’t want to be end user testers any more, that will come with bigger numbers.

... and I never thought it was a hardware issue ... I certainly hope not!

They told me that this is caused by this charger begining to fail and not pushing enough amperage. Would've been $1500 if it wasn't covered by warranty. It is under the battery warranty, so 8 yrs 120k miles for LR vehicles.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200712-122205~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20200712-122205~2.jpg
    252.8 KB · Views: 39
Just to contribute on this one. While i was on 2020.20.12 it started happening about a month ago. Quite erratic. One night no issues and then the next one after an hour of charge down to 4kw. I am doing 115 miles per day and when you have the overnight charge set to start at 1:00 which usually finishes at 5:30 it can lead to quite an unpleasant surprise. Since updating to 2020.24.6.4 on the 7th of this month I had 5 full charges with no issue. 7kw steady charge rate.

2020.24.6.4 seems to be better, but experienced the 16a reduction this morning. 2 previous charges with 2020.24 had been steady at 32a. Tesla service have today confirmed to me …“We have been told that the fix will be in a near future firmware release not 20.24.Engineering have confirmed the concern, so we no longer require more data to assist them find the root cause”

2020.24.6.4 seems to be better, but experienced the 16a reduction this morning. 2 previous charges with 2020.24 had been steady at 32a. Tesla service have today confirmed to me …“We have been told that the fix will be in a near future firmware release not 20.24.Engineering have confirmed the concern, so we no longer require more data to assist them find the root cause”

This appears to be quite right. After 5 successful charges since updating to 2020.24.6.4 last night my charge rate went back to 4kw. Oh well...