Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Return of phantom 16 amp charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is this problem not charger specific?

I've never had a problem with my Andersen A2 charging the car. Always been a solid 32A. I did a 4.5 hour charge last night, and kept checking it to see if it dropped but it stayed at 32A.

For what it's worth (not much really) this has been the case on all software versions I've been on. Currently on 2020.28.2.

Screenshot 2020-07-17 10.45.16.png

Is this problem not charger specific?

No it's not charger specific. The charge points all continue to offer 32amps (including Tesla's own brand charge points) it's just the car that chooses to lower the rate it is taking. I only rarely saw the issue myself and only after the 24.6.4 update. Anyway, it has been confirmed that 28.2 finally clears the issue.

Reactions: Durzel and Roy W.
Not sure if related or I have a worse issue.

I plug my car in and select 32a on the display. It ramps up and gets to 16amps but then reduces down to 0amps.
Tries to ramp up again and the same thing happens on loop. Tops out at 16amps then resets itself.

If I limit in the car to 16amps it will stay there fine but not 32amps.

Anyone had this? I suspect my cars charging equipment has developed a fault. Twin scroll button reset doesn’t help.

This is on mutliple chargers.

I seem to have software version 10.02 2020.20.17 I think.

The charge screen has 16/16 amps on it with 16 amps below with the + grayed out.
While it's plugged in?
If that's the case then one of the two will apply:
1 - You have three phase power, which will only give you 16A per phase
2 - You charger is only advertising 16A on single phase and therefore that's all the car can pull

Bear in mind that if the charging cable is not plugged in, the charging screen does indeed default to 16A and won't allow you to select any higher, but once you plug the charger in the car will pull as much juice as the charger advertises (when the software is working normally).

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: Roy W. and Durzel