Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Return of phantom 16 amp charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just caught this bug in the act, stop/start in the app and back to 8kw/32amps

Hurry up and fix this tesla cmon!
It’s fixed in 2020.28.x.

Change to accept Advanced Software Updates to speed up getting that, or raise a Service Request and they’ll likely push it to you earlier. I did both and got it installed two weeks ago.

Haven’t had a 16A charge since :)

• Informative
Reactions: ACarneiro
Unfortunately I think that was probably just coincidence your car being scheduled for 2020.28 - I’ve had a service request in for a while and eventually got a text back to tell me 2020.17 was the latest available for my car. Despite a couple of two and fros on the text where I said I had seen 2020.28 fixed the issue all they could do was redownload the same 2020.17 firmware. A few days later I got 2020.24.6.9 along with lots of other people which was clearly unrelated and I’m still waiting for 2020.28. I’ve been on advanced since I got the car in January.

Reactions: Roy W.
I had this issue happen to me for the first time. No issues back home on my Zappi but up here on one of the free Charge Scotland plugs it’s dropped form 32 to 16 Amps after about an hour. I just left it for longer but that’s not always an option.

I’m on 20.24.9 So might connect up to the accommodation WiFi and see if that prompts the 28 download.

lots of free 7 and 22 kW charging in Scotland :)

I had this issue happen to me for the first time. No issues back home on my Zappi but up here on one of the free Charge Scotland plugs it’s dropped form 32 to 16 Amps after about an hour. I just left it for longer but that’s not always an option.

I’m on 20.24.9 So might connect up to the accommodation WiFi and see if that prompts the 28 download.

lots of free 7 and 22 kW charging in Scotland :)

... and usually 50kW CCS ... (DC charging isn't affected by the speed drop issue so worth looking out for them)

• Informative
Reactions: Gatsojon
And also here for the first charge since my holiday. I noticed it was charging at 4kW a few minutes after starting at 2030. I stopped and restarted the charge, and it ramped up to 7kW. TeslaMate showed that it dropped back down to 4kW around midnight, but luckily it still finished before 0130.

We should all be getting 2020.28 within a week or two.

We should all be getting 2020.28 within a week or two.

The 2020.28 versions still seem to be very slow in coming out and they appear to be mostly pushing 24.6.x in preference ... :(. I'm hoping it doesn't mean there are still some unresolved issues with 28 that make it unwise to go for full distribution. I did go beyond my 4 hour cheap rate a couple of times. Strangely my car wasn't noticeably affected by the bug until the more recent software updates.

After about 4 or 5 charges on 2020.28 I can at least reassure you that the issue is fixed...!

Hopefully you all get the update soon!
How many times have you charged on .28? as i thought mine had fixed itself as was ok for a while and now back again, 6hrs to charge just under 50% SR+ !

i have now managed to log a service request which i was unable to do initially an few weeks back.

How many times have you charged on .28? as i thought mine had fixed itself as was ok for a while and now back again, 6hrs to charge just under 50% SR+ !

i have now managed to log a service request which i was unable to do initially an few weeks back.

As I said in the post you quoted... 4 or 5 times! Charged at stable 32amps every time.

I seem to have a separate issue of the charging being interrupted somewhat randomly. But that might be the charge unit, I'm not sure.

There's a couple of people on one of the facebook groups claiming that they are on 28.x and the charge dropped for them last night.. I'm hoping they are wrong and that isn't the case.
The most likely explanation anyone has come up with for this problem is that Tesla changed the code that monitors charging and it was tripping down to 16 amps due to something it was seeing during charging like small fluctuations in the input voltage.
That being the case the "fix" may simply be a tweek to the threshold which means that either:
a) the people reporting still having problems on 28.x may genuinely have had a significant event during charging and this is intended behaviour
b) Its is now less sensitive but still too sensitive for the stability of UK voltage so we are still going to see this just less often.

Until most of us are on 2020.28x and can build up a pattern of behaviour we will not be able to tell.

Reactions: Adopado and dan223