Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reuters: "Tesla readies revamped Model 3 with project 'Highland' -sources" [projected 3rd quarter 2023]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought a new inventory model at end of 2Q. I knew that the new M3 was coming out, but I also knew that Tesla's changes are often to save money so the changes are not necessarily better for the consumer. Although it was all based on rumors, I decided to buy an existing M3 because driving without a stalk for turn signals seemed hard to imagine. HW4 seems better but HW3 seemed good enough.

Watching the inventory drop of the obsolete M3 when the new M3 coming soon. Who is actually buying these things?
We bought one
Love it, needed it
Customizing it
Best sedan we’ve ever owned

Highland is going to take what’s amazing and make it even better

Is the question, should you wait?
Definitely
This new vehicle should be available before the end of the year
If you need a vehicle now, get it now, the obsolete one because it’s great
Then subscribe to FSD for a month and experience automation

Can't really know if the new M3 will be desirable changes. It could just be casting and other cost improvements. Stalks could be going away, less powerful drive units, etc.
More desirable rumored changes include the nose camera, the standard range 66kWh battery, and lower price. Less desirable rumored changes include loss of the stalks.

Of course, we won't know which of the rumored changes are true until the actual car is available.

Acceleration is the one area they don’t need to improve upon. They’re already by far the fastest in the class, especially for comparable price.

If someone needs more speed, then pony up for MSLR or MSP.
An M3P is certainly the fastest for the price, but assuming that you consider a Model 3 to be in the same class as a BMW 3 series, the M3P is no longer fastest in class. A BMW M3 Competition xDrive can take it 0-60 although it's close, but in the 1/4 mile and at higher speeds, it walks an M3P.

I'd like to see Tesla apply some of the new motor tech from the Model S and X where the motor keeps pulling the same out to higher speeds. Now, the Model 3 Performance definitely tails off at higher speeds.

Reactions: T3SLAROD
An M3P is certainly the fastest for the price, but assuming that you consider a Model 3 to be in the same class as a BMW 3 series, the M3P is no longer fastest in class. A BMW M3 Competition xDrive can take it 0-60 although it's close, but in the 1/4 mile and at higher speeds, it walks an M3P.

I'd like to see Tesla apply some of the new motor tech from the Model S and X where the motor keeps pulling the same out to higher speeds. Now, the Model 3 Performance definitely tails off at higher speeds.

With launch control, and a perfect launch, and likely on a track. In actual "usable" speed that anyone can use, all the time, even at a stop light, not so much at all.

Reactions: E90alex
those like me who bought last year and got burned by the deep price cuts have learned their lesson. Not going to jump on the highland band wagon until a test drive proves it is more fun than current model. And if it is indeed worth the upgrade in spite of the drive by wire and what not then we will wait till the deep price cut happens again guessing sometime late next year when the $25k M2 will come and piss on the highland bonfire..

I’m talking amongst comparable EV competition.

An M3 comp is like $90k so it’s in a whole different league price wise despite being similar size wise to Model 3.

Yes the M3 will pull ahead at the top end well into the triple digits, but in real world conditions on the street the Model 3 Performance will easily take it and feel faster when you just punch the pedal. The M3 needs launch control to get those 0-60 times and at any moving speed above 0 it will have to deal with turbo lag and downshifting while the Model 3 will be far gone in the distance.

But my point is, no one right now is saying “I don’t want the Tesla because it’s too slow” when shopping for an EV. They have many other things they need to invest money in before making the car faster.

Reactions: Dayreg and kpanda17
With launch control, and a perfect launch, and likely on a track. In actual "usable" speed that anyone can use, all the time, even at a stop light, not so much at all.
For the BMW to take the Model 3 0-60 does take pretty much a perfect launch, but the difference in the 1/4 mile is enough that the BMW will win unless the driver totally hoses up the start. For the BMW, the 1/4 mile is typically 11.1, while it's typically 11.7 for an M3P. Of course, the BMW does cost 50%+ more. I think if Tesla just changed the M3P's motors to not tail off at higher speeds, it would be comparable to the BMW's speed for a LOT less money, hopefully even a little better. I want to see Tesla taking the competition out like they did back in 2018.

For the stoplight gran prix, EVs are king.

Reactions: T3SLAROD
I’m talking amongst comparable EV competition.

An M3 comp is like $90k so it’s in a whole different league price wise despite being similar size wise to Model 3.

Yes the M3 will pull ahead at the top end well into the triple digits, but in real world conditions on the street the Model 3 Performance will easily take it and feel faster when you just punch the pedal. The M3 needs launch control to get those 0-60 times and at any moving speed above 0 it will have to deal with turbo lag and downshifting while the Model 3 will be far gone in the distance.

But my point is, no one right now is saying “I don’t want the Tesla because it’s too slow” when shopping for an EV. They have many other things they need to invest money in before making the car faster.
He’s right
We love rhe current M3

Reactions: pipestem
Many of us here like to think people who buy Teslas are enlightened in some way - early adopters, open to changing the world etc..
I think some people are finally accepting of the whole "EV thing" but don't fall into that "enlightened" category and just want to blend in;Tesla is the market leader. Just in the past month, I know 3 people who were die hard "HEMI" people. Well, their 2008 "HEMI"s repair bills started racking up and they looked around their neighborhood and it was suddenly more fashionable to have a Tesla - the price drop of the MY and M3 was all it took for them to convert - claiming they only did it because of the "good deal" they got - great way of saving face I suppose. They all have that sh1t eating "wow this car is fun" grin on their faces that we are all accustomed to - but if you ask them why they are smiling they'll tell you it's because they got a good price.

Reactions: rpiotro
those like me who bought last year and got burned by the deep price cuts have learned their lesson. Not going to jump on the highland band wagon until a test drive proves it is more fun than current model. And if it is indeed worth the upgrade in spite of the drive by wire and what not then we will wait till the deep price cut happens again guessing sometime late next year when the $25k M2 will come and piss on the highland bonfire..
I'm in that group. I've had the car a year now and have been happy with it. But I would not have been happy to keep my old car another year, it needed to go. Even after Highland comes out I would have waited a year for issues to be worked out with the updates. So I would have needed to wait 2 years to get the new M3. Had to pull the trigger on the M3 RWD when I did, just the timing was the worse.

At some point I may upgrade to the Highland, or to another brand once they support the Tesla charger if I don't care for the Highland. We'll see.

My wife is waiting for the M2, but I don't think her ICE car will make it.