Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reuters: "Tesla readies revamped Model 3 with project 'Highland' -sources" [projected 3rd quarter 2023]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am the first one on this forum to see a Highland in the wild…
IMG_7576.jpeg

IMG_7575.jpeg

IMG_7574.jpeg

Another nice "safety" feature on the HW4 equipped Highland is the fact that Elon recently tweeted that Hw4 will lag hw3 by at least 6 months. After any feature is solid/tested on hw3 only then it will come to hw4. So basically use hw3 owners as guinea pigs. :)
HW3 will be a stepping stone to full self driving. I’m not even sure HW4 will crack it.

Another nice "safety" feature on the HW4 equipped Highland is the fact that Elon recently tweeted that Hw4 will lag hw3 by at least 6 months. After any feature is solid/tested on hw3 only then it will come to hw4. So basically use hw3 owners as guinea pigs. :)
Not quite. The problem is that the neural network emulation which is their basic computing model for FSD is Hardware specific. So in that sense, you can't simply take what you've learned from your neural network and dump it in any hardware. It's a whole new emulation in other words. So it will take them time to get hardware 4 up to speed. Rather than being used as guinea pigs we're going to get the best possible simulation that our Hardware is capable of. Hw4 has additional capabilities and in that sense is probably going to take significantly more training to get it to work to the the same level and then additional training to exceed the level of legacy hardware.

• Informative
Reactions: FreqFlyer
Not quite. The problem is that the neural network emulation which is their basic computing model for FSD is Hardware specific. So in that sense, you can't simply take what you've learned from your neural network and dump it in any hardware. It's a whole new emulation in other words. So it will take them time to get hardware 4 up to speed. Rather than being used as guinea pigs we're going to get the best possible simulation that our Hardware is capable of. Hw4 has additional capabilities and in that sense is probably going to take significantly more training to get it to work to the the same level and then additional training to exceed the level of legacy hardware.
I will remember to say that when I try to sell my car👍🏻😀

Why does it seem that other automakers like Hyundai, Kia, Honda, etc. find a way to implement life cycle updates and exterior refreshes almost every year while Tesla lags behind with a life cycle update like project Highland that takes almost 8 years. Even the Model S, Tesla's oldest design has undergone a couple of "subtle" refreshes over 10 years, but the overall exterior look has not dramatically changed. Of course, Tesla vehicles continuously improve via OTA updates which add many cool features. Perhaps the same can be said for BMW and Mercedes, who historically held onto a design for roughly 6-7 years, however changes appear to be coming with increased frequency.

• Disagree
Reactions: superflyrolla