Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reuters: "Tesla readies revamped Model 3 with project 'Highland' -sources" [projected 3rd quarter 2023]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Next thing you know it’ll be a joystick like Airbus.
I beg to differ.
I’ve had a yoke in my M3 from the first week and I absolutely love it. Having a yoke with existing stalks is to me the sweet spot.

I’ve since removed the dash screen as my wife found it too busy. But the yoke remains :)
Funny in longer drives it’s actually more comfortable than a round lower resting spot.
Also gripping at 9/3 o’clock is better/safer than my former lazy tendency to hold the wheel at 12 with my left hand.

Just my opinion…I know it’s a love hate thing lol
AB0A1A6A-BFBB-4426-AE0C-3D69A9C280FF.jpeg
1E3D7E30-BD27-4DBE-B0B0-AD2DA7745CB2.jpeg

It's a matter of taste so really no right or wrong answer on the aesthetics of a yoke. In daily casual driving there is probably not too much functional difference either. However, I think it is a disadvantage on a tight track or worse in an emergency maneuver situation - missing the top half of the steering wheel likely has an impact for emergency control. I don't mind the look but would never install one myself...even for free.

Thanks. That’s precisely what I was trying to achieve…subtle sportiness..not over the top but just enough to add to the overall aggressive tone of the rear.

It’s a company out of Montreal, Quebec. $259 Cnd. So $200 US. Installer was relatively easy but I had it done from my local ppf guy. Charged me $80 as there is some light drilling into the lower bumper under the car for the clips. View attachment 886015View attachment 886016
Not directed at you....it's the entire 2 pages preceding this. .WTF...I thought this thread was about the revamped M3.

Back to the Revamped M3. I believe Tesla is going to try to bring the costs down in order to get more models to qualify for the $7500 tax credit. You can expect more features being removed or perhaps available as options, but Tesla usually tries to keep things simple in order to reduce manufacturing costs. The exception might be software related items since those don't affect the manufacturing process. I agree that the 3 is already sparse. If they take out any more features or cheapen the material quality further, they'll be selling go-karts.

Reactions: GSP and DocHolliday
In the twisted reality of today, where ICE econoboxes retail for $30-40K, and many common pickup trucks retail closer to $50K, a $60 car dated EV isn't that 'premium' - try $150K... and even there, build and material quality are meh with plenty of planned obsolescence and replace instead of repair appliance grade design.

In the twisted reality of today, where ICE econoboxes retail for $30-40K, and many common pickup trucks retail closer to $50K, a $60 car dated EV isn't that 'premium' - try $150K... and even there, build and material quality are meh with plenty of planned obsolescence and replace instead of repair appliance grade design.
A Kia Forte (ICEV econobox) is about $21k, and a Kia Rio (ICEV even cheaper econobox) is about $18k, while a Kia Niro EV is about $41k. The cheapest reasonable new EV these days is the Chevrolet Bolt EV at $27k, although Chevrolet has discontinued all of its ICEV econoboxes, though you may find a leftover $15k Spark.

Yes, you can load up any car with options to get a considerably higher price.

Here's another disadvantage of the yoke, discovered by YouTuber Tech Geek Tesla:

When I'm in AP or FSDb, I rest my hand on my right knee and grip the wheel gently. When it turns, I let it slip through my hand, and that's enough to prevent nags.

You can't do that with a yoke.
Not sure I understand. I do this with my yoke steering all the time 🤷🏽‍♂️

I rest my right or left hand on my knee/leg and my hand is either gripping the side or actually …resting on the flat bottom which one cannot do with a wheel lol 😂 It’s quite comfortable and relaxing. I just aoply some pressure on the flat bottom and voila.

Not sure I understand. I do this with my yoke steering all the time 🤷🏽‍♂️

I rest my right or left hand on my knee/leg and my hand is either gripping the side or actually …resting on the flat bottom which one cannot do with a wheel lol 😂 It’s quite comfortable and relaxing. I just aoply some pressure on the flat bottom and voila.
Interesting. I'm talking about letting the round wheel slide through your fingers like a $20 being slid from your hand by your wife.

my hope is that with demand slowing and we are likely heading into a recession ... Tesla engineers and designers are forcing Elon to make the facelift Model 3 more appealing and not just another round of brutal cost cutting (no stalks, yoke, etc)

Or, the facelift model 3 will not come with a steering wheel.
”Some features will be temporarily unavailable but added later in a series of software updates”

20230104_084654.jpg

Here is what I think we can expect for the Revamped M3 according to:
  1. What I have heard from Elon
  2. What is currently happening with the other Tesla Models (S,X),
  3. What I can take from the Original M3 design from Franz.

I am anticipating:
  • Single cast Front and Rear body (Production Simplicity)
  • Unibody design with 4680 cells (Production Simplicity)
  • Yoke Steering Wheel (Franz design & MS, MX have it)
  • Stalks Removed (Franz design & MS, MX don't have it)
  • Front Facelift (Like MX and MS)
  • USS removed
  • High Def Cameras
  • New AP Computer
Please tell me what you think.

View attachment 892208
Here is what I think we can expect for the Revamped M3 according to:
  1. What I have heard from Elon
  2. What is currently happening with the other Tesla Models (S,X),
  3. What I can take from the Original M3 design from Franz.

I am anticipating:
  • Single cast Front and Rear body (Production Simplicity)
  • Unibody design with 4680 cells (Production Simplicity)
  • Yoke Steering Wheel (Franz design & MS, MX have it)
  • Stalks Removed (Franz design & MS, MX don't have it)
  • Front Facelift (Like MX and MS)
  • USS removed
  • High Def Cameras
  • New AP Computer
Please tell me what you think.
so cost cutting without benefit to the costumer,,,

good luck introducing a yoke and switching gears by touch / touch screen only and signaling lights on the steering wheel into a mass produced vehicle...
Absolutely, Consumers are always concerned about the feel of the vehicle and the ability to use it, effectively and comfortably. This is even more important when dealing with a mass market vehicle and not a niche car. I don't believe Tesla has done a great job in realizing this given the recent trends I have seen from them.