Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reuters: "Tesla readies revamped Model 3 with project 'Highland' -sources" [projected 3rd quarter 2023]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s really hard to compare Tesla with any other automaker. They are just different on so many levels.

I’ve noticed a lot people just like to vent/complain here. I guess it’s cathartic. Teslas aren’t for everyone. If the car isn’t bringing you joy, there are plenty of other great cars to choose from. Perks of living in a free, market-based society.

I have some gripes with the company, but on-balance, I still would pick them over the competition.

It’s really hard to compare Tesla with any other automaker. They are just different on so many levels.
We're getting off topic, but I'd say yes-and-no. Very roughly speaking, Tesla is different in:
  • 100% EV product line (*)
  • Direct-to-consumer sales and service
  • Owns and operates the Supercharger network
  • Glass cockpit with tight integration of infotainment
That doesn't excuse other areas that traditional car makers solved a long time ago:
  • Fit and finish
  • Features with dubious benefits (Falcon wing doors, yoke without physical controls, etc.)
  • CEO who manages multiple unrelated companies, and is outspoken far beyond his core business
(* Yes there are others like Lucid and Rivian, but Tesla is the only 100% EV manufacturer at scale today).

I’ve noticed a lot people just like to vent/complain here. I guess it’s cathartic. Teslas aren’t for everyone. If the car isn’t bringing you joy, there are plenty of other great cars to choose from. Perks of living in a free, market-based society.

I have some gripes with the company, but on-balance, I still would pick them over the competition.
So true. At the end of the day there is no perfect car. I always tell people you need to look at the pros and cons. If a car has more cons than pros, don't buy it. If it has more pros than cons, consider it. For me the pros outweigh the cons and there was no other car that checked off more boxes on my list when I purchased it. That's not to say there isn't room for improvement...there's a lot.

So true. At the end of the day there is no perfect car. I always tell people you need to look at the pros and cons. If a car has more cons than pros, don't buy it. If it has more pros than cons, consider it. For me the pros outweigh the cons and there was no other car that checked off more boxes on my list when I purchased it. That's not to say there isn't room for improvement...there's a lot.

My bigger point is, if one is so unsatisfied or unhappy with Tesla and/or their cars, why bloviate on forums with negativity and complaints. If the car isn't making your life better, get a different one. There are many great options. Teslas aren't for everyone.

m3hl.jpg

Reactions: phishphan
We're getting off topic, but I'd say yes-and-no. Very roughly speaking, Tesla is different in:
  • 100% EV product line (*)
  • Direct-to-consumer sales and service
  • Owns and operates the Supercharger network
  • Glass cockpit with tight integration of infotainment
That doesn't excuse other areas that traditional car makers solved a long time ago:
  • Fit and finish
  • Features with dubious benefits (Falcon wing doors, yoke without physical controls, etc.)
  • CEO who manages multiple unrelated companies, and is outspoken far beyond his core business
(* Yes there are others like Lucid and Rivian, but Tesla is the only 100% EV manufacturer at scale today).
you list three things under "That doesn't excuse other areas that traditional car makers solved a long time ago"

the 2nd point is not correct. i cannot think of one traditional car maker that doesn't make "Features with dubious benefits". i can't agree with this at all.

as for the 3rd, "CEO who manages multiple unrelated companies, and is outspoken far beyond his core business", see no excuse necessary. i've met and talked with many CEOs of multi-national - every single one is a jerk and outspoken in real life. none owe me an "excuse".

Last edited:
Reactions: Kevy Baby