Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reuters: "Tesla readies revamped Model 3 with project 'Highland' -sources" [projected 3rd quarter 2023]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If a refreshed Model 3 bumps it's sales and Model Y then drops a bit that's maybe not a bad thing. They'll have to stop making the Y when they retool like they are doing with the 3 now. Some lower demand for a short while will help with that, especially if the 3 is picking up some of that sales slack.

I do think though a lot of the changes can go into the Y very quickly as they share a lot of parts. Also they could likely change bumper and lights without a massive headache. I think the changes to the 3 here are more serious as it's getting the advancements they made to the Y backported.

It's even mentioned that the car could be a bit longer. Maybe room to fit in the filter for Bioweapon Defence Mode? What about a slightly larger battery capacity or just the same capacity with cheaper, lower density batteries?

I'm hoping this is like the Model S and X refresh and it's pretty substantial.

Reactions: NCDAG's M3P
If a refreshed Model 3 bumps it's sales and Model Y then drops a bit that's maybe not a bad thing. They'll have to stop making the Y when they retool like they are doing with the 3 now. Some lower demand for a short while will help with that, especially if the 3 is picking up some of that sales slack.

I do think though a lot of the changes can go into the Y very quickly as they share a lot of parts. Also they could likely change bumper and lights without a massive headache. I think the changes to the 3 here are more serious as it's getting the advancements they made to the Y backported.

It's even mentioned that the car could be a bit longer. Maybe room to fit in the filter for Bioweapon Defence Mode? What about a slightly larger battery capacity or just the same capacity with cheaper, lower density batteries?

I'm hoping this is like the Model S and X refresh and it's pretty substantial.
Tesla is all about getting costs down. Look at the "new" Model 3 AWD which is rated 333 miles EPA instead of 358 miles EPA of the prior version ... they ain't adding "bioweapon defence mode" or larger battery capacity while deleting USS / stalks to cut costs at the same time...

Tesla is all about getting costs down. Look at the "new" Model 3 AWD which is rated 333 miles EPA instead of 358 miles EPA of the prior version ... they ain't adding "bioweapon defence mode" or larger battery capacity while deleting USS / stalks to cut costs at the same time...
Well I think actually their meme is consolidating and streamlining production and design to cut costs and yes that goal is not about money per se but to create a larger addressable Market while improving function. I don't think they're just about cutting costs. A good example is actually the deletion of uss. Initially our brand new Long Range Model 3 did not do proximity sensing when parking. Now it does using the cameras and it's just as good as the old ultrasonics. Or at least it seems just as accurate so far. Haven't got out to measure if their distances are as accurate as they were under the old ultrasonic system which were accurate to the inch but I think they're pretty close. In any case, Tesla believes that they do not have to sacrifice functionality to streamline production and design. The deletion of rare earth metals in their next generation of motors, and moving towards a low and then no Cobalt chemistry are also examples.

Well I think actually their meme is consolidating and streamlining production and design to cut costs and yes that goal is not about money per se but to create a larger addressable Market while improving function. I don't think they're just about cutting costs. A good example is actually the deletion of uss. Initially our brand new Long Range Model 3 did not do proximity sensing when parking. Now it does using the cameras and it's just as good as the old ultrasonics. Or at least it seems just as accurate so far. Haven't got out to measure if their distances are as accurate as they were under the old ultrasonic system which were accurate to the inch but I think they're pretty close
Except that it would have been more customer friendly to have the replacement functionality working before deleting the ultrasonic sensors. Similar with the cruise control radar deletion.

Or just replaced the ultrasonic sensors with a nose camera so that they can have a top-down view that will make everyone forget about the ultrasonic sensors.

Reactions: texas_star_TM3
Which one is the new one? The matrix “global” headlights have been used since 2021 in the model 3. It is the same light used in the model Y. Are you saying Tesla will revert all Model 3 and Model Y back to the reflectors?
The new one is the "Matrix" one. During the chip shortage the LED chips needed for that one was in short supply, so Tesla switched back to using the older reflectors. Presumably as the supply chain improves, they'll switch fully to the "Matrix" version.

Reactions: ZenRockGarden
Which one is the new one? The matrix “global” headlights have been used since 2021 in the model 3. It is the same light used in the model Y. Are you saying Tesla will revert all Model 3 and Model Y back to the reflectors?

Matrix is the new one, since it was developed and introduced after the existing. At various times supplies have been short and Model Y (for example) had either old or new headlamps depending on supply. I'm sorry that upsets you, but the reality is simple that Tesla is headed to using all-matrix, yes it's taking a long time, yes supply chains have been rather tricky in the covid 2021 to 2023 timeframe, but none of that changes the culture of how Tesla likes to develop and produce things. Changes roll when ready, sometimes before supplies are fully there. They explore new tech in subsets of their lineup and once proven it goes across everything because that's simpler and cheaper.

Matrix is the new one, since it was developed and introduced after the existing. At various times supplies have been short and Model Y (for example) had either old or new headlamps depending on supply. I'm sorry that upsets you, but the reality is simple that Tesla is headed to using all-matrix, yes it's taking a long time, yes supply chains have been rather tricky in the covid 2021 to 2023 timeframe, but none of that changes the culture of how Tesla likes to develop and produce things. Changes roll when ready, sometimes before supplies are fully there. They explore new tech in subsets of their lineup and once proven it goes across everything because that's simpler and cheaper.

Yup it upsets me. Have to pick up the car 300
Miles away to try to guarantee a Fremont build with matrix lights. With the highland launch imminent and the Y refresh at least 1 year away, now they will have 3 different versions of the headlights. Isn’t that just accomplishing the opposite?

Yup it upsets me. Have to pick up the car 300
Miles away to try to guarantee a Fremont build with matrix lights. With the highland launch imminent and the Y refresh at least 1 year away, now they will have 3 different versions of the headlights. Isn’t that just accomplishing the opposite?
If you're getting a Model 3, all of the ones sold in the United States are made in Fremont. I don't think picking it up at the factory would make any difference in the headlights you get.

I think it's a mixture. They save cost where they can but also markets like China like to have features on their cars. They also have bad air pollution, as does parts of the USA for instance from wild fires even right now. It's probably not a massive cost to add this in if they have the space and I suspect would help with sales.

As for extra length to the car. It means they can have less energy dense LFP batteries but more of them to then match the range they got with NMC. And of course they could do a longer range LR or just for the Performance. A slightly more premium model still, more battery could mean a jump up in power also. Volvo EX30, Fisker Ocean and so on all seem to be catching up to Tesla performance and hp numbers.

Finally RHD markets now no longer get Model S and X. The 3 and Y are both the bottom and top end of Tesla's cars. There's still plenty of people that would pay for a bit more expensive Model 3 with more performance, range, features if they made one. Cannot just move up to a Model S or X, have to go to a different brand currently.

Reactions: randompixel
I think it's a mixture. They save cost where they can but also markets like China like to have features on their cars. They also have bad air pollution, as does parts of the USA for instance from wild fires even right now. It's probably not a massive cost to add this in if they have the space and I suspect would help with sales.

As for extra length to the car. It means they can have less energy dense LFP batteries but more of them to then match the range they got with NMC. And of course they could do a longer range LR or just for the Performance. A slightly more premium model still, more battery could mean a jump up in power also. Volvo EX30, Fisker Ocean and so on all seem to be catching up to Tesla performance and hp numbers.

Finally RHD markets now no longer get Model S and X. The 3 and Y are both the bottom and top end of Tesla's cars. There's still plenty of people that would pay for a bit more expensive Model 3 with more performance, range, features if they made one. Cannot just move up to a Model S or X, have to go to a different brand currently.
yup. that's me. I would happily pay for a "top trim" level which then rivals BMW / Cadillac. The Lyriq runs circles around the Y interior and the i4 is a lot nicer inside than the 3. Tesla should do a "premium" trim and charge $6k-$10k more

yup. that's me. I would happily pay for a "top trim" level which then rivals BMW / Cadillac. The Lyriq runs circles around the Y interior and the i4 is a lot nicer inside than the 3. Tesla should do a "premium" trim and charge $6k-$10k more
Tesla's mission is to accelerate the world's transition to sustainable energy , not to please those "luxury people". =)

• Funny
Just my opinion here. As long as the charging infrastructure of other car manufacturer doesn’t comes close to Tesla, Tesla will still be the choice. It’s like Apple and android phone. Android phones are great but Apple is still on top of the food chain. What’s the difference can be seen there, they have their own OS and other manufacturer relies on android. Other manufacturer for sure build better cars but in real world, the convenience of the having multiple supercharger availability is hard to beat.

Just my opinion here. As long as the charging infrastructure of other car manufacturer doesn’t comes close to Tesla, Tesla will still be the choice. It’s like Apple and android phone. Android phones are great but Apple is still on top of the food chain. What’s the difference can be seen there, they have their own OS and other manufacturer relies on android. Other manufacturer for sure build better cars but in real world, the convenience of the having multiple supercharger availability is hard to beat.
Well it's just not true that Apple's phones are always regarded as the best. The Samsung Galaxy s23 has been independently reviewed as the best phone you can buy right now. Apple has parlayed their premium reputation into a lot of cash, but it's a reputation not a fact.

Tesla knows that they have to keep moving the goal posts, so rather than trying to produce some kind of super luxury premium interior which is not really their thing I think they're going to continue to offer the best range and performance at a particular price point. Although competition has narrowed that gap, there is nothing with the room of a Model Y with its performance in its premium trim at $55,000 prior to incentives. Everybody in the industry would love to have Tesla's problem of its low quality poor interior Model Y. And in terms of charging Network and infrastructure, that game is over,

Reactions: jabloomf1230
i guess you missed Fords and GMs announcement... their EVs will roll off the assembly line with a tesla connector starting next year...

Reactions: travis3000