Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reuters: "Tesla readies revamped Model 3 with project 'Highland' -sources" [projected 3rd quarter 2023]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So is the Car Wow video of a Shanghai Model 3 ?...I suspect it is...with the LG battery. So for America (not Canada) the car will have different specs.. as per usual. Although the European M3P update might be made in America also. So many permutations that it’s difficult to know what to be excited about !
But as the Car Wow guy said, this is a refresh not a new model...so as desirable as all these updates look, it’s probably best to keep the old M3 until a new model comes in a few years.
As a personal opinion, these updates make the Model S less desirable (not the Plaid)...so it will be very interesting to see if the MS gets tarted up to compete

Reactions: JBT66
Where is CarWow getting those range figures though??? Any region that has Highland up on the configurator is giving 513/629 km WLTP for RWD and LR respectively. That's 319/391 miles - only 4.5% increase on the previous model. Nothing wrong with that, and all I would have expected, but not the 13% CarWow figures suggest. No EPA figures yet.

Where is CarWow getting those range figures though??? Any region that has Highland up on the configurator is giving 513/629 km WLTP for RWD and LR respectively. That's 319/391 miles - only 4.5% increase on the previous model. Nothing wrong with that, and all I would have expected, but not the 13% CarWow figures suggest. No EPA figures yet.

At the rim selector option you see the higher range variant if you go 18”.

Is the new 3 even legal in the USA? I thought you had to have lights visible in the rear with the trunk open?

https://www.autotrader.com/car-news/buick-cascada-has-two-sets-taillights-275667#:~:text=Here's%20something%20you%20probably%20didn,%2C%20but%20I'm%20not.

The Lucid Air also has a second set of lights when the trunk is open. Project Highland doesn’t appear to…

1693557060400.png

Reactions: EVolv3d and SO16
At the rim selector option you see the higher range variant if you go 18”.

Ah yeah that's it. Interesting the 18" wheels seem to make much more of a difference this time around. Comparing apples to apples it's a 4.5% range increase with 19" wheels, but 8% increase with 18" wheels! I wonder if the 18" wheels are significantly lighter this time around and/or 19" heavier, or if the 18" 'estimated' range figures are just not to be trusted?

Is the new 3 even legal in the USA? I thought you had to have lights visible in the rear with the trunk open?

https://www.autotrader.com/car-news/buick-cascada-has-two-sets-taillights-275667#:~:text=Here's%20something%20you%20probably%20didn,%2C%20but%20I'm%20not.

The Lucid Air also has a second set of lights when the trunk is open. Project Highland doesn’t appear to…

View attachment 970038
There are lights in the reflectors on the bumper. So the tought about it. 👍🏻

Reactions: zoomer0056
They’ve not only destroyed the resale value on my 2022 model s, they’ve added insult to injury and given the 3 all of the comforts the s has.

I’ll never buy another Tesla again.
You liked your car yesterday, but today you don't. That always happens when the new thing comes out. Just wait, the next new thing will turn the Highland into a heap. We always want new things.

I wasn't expecting anything but would have been nice to have bi-directional charging. Tesla is going to start losing sales over this as more of their competition includes it and the industry in general supports it. Will they purposely not include this for fear of cannibalizing Powerwall sales?

I don't think it's really about cannibalization. For separate reasons PV + battery is likely to be huge, and it's already growing fast in countries that don't suck at residential solar the way the USA does. That is rapidly diminishing the potential value of V2H, just as grid storage is diminishing the potential value of V2G (which has seen a lot of talk but very little action).

For much frequent use there's a simple alternative of having regular power sockets, just as many vehicles already have, and I'm sure the Cybertruck will have.

I think Tesla will ultimately do bidirectional, but I think it'll come after they get any results from their next gen power electronics project that's part of effort in cost reduction.