Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Review: Hankook iON evo AS vs Pirelli AS+ Elect vs Michelin PS 4S vs Michelin PS AS 4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tested all these tires back to back on either a Tesla Model 3 or Y. I have both a Model 3 and a Model Y (wife’s).

My goal was to have a great handling tire (makes me happy) that can handle the occasional snow, is quiet, and has good range.

For context, I have the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires on both the 3 and Y. This is by far the best handling tire, really amazing, our benchmark for handling, and is just a joy to drive. I’m in Colorado though and for nov/dec/apr, we can see temps below 40, which is a no-no for driving the PS4S, so I wanted something more cold tolerant during the shoulder seasons. We have winter wheels (Pirelli Sottozero 3, which we love) for ski season.

Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4:
I drove this on a Performance Model Y (Tesla test drive). Handling is very good, and I hear it’s also very good in the snow. Negatives is that it’s loud and it’s not great for range, the former being more important to me.

Pirelli All Season Plus Elect:
We bought these for our Model Y. Handling is good if not great. And it’s quiet and comfortable, and of course it’s tuned for EVs and has good range. We really really like these tires. I would give the edge to the PS AS 4 for handling, but it is slight and totally not enough to justify the range hit or how loud they are.

Hankook iON evo AS ih01:
I just bought these for my 3. It was a gamble because I couldn’t find any reviews on them. They are brand new to the market. Overall, I definitively do not like them. The handling is terrible for a car like the model 3 w/ AB. It feels super floaty and squirrelly when cornering. The noise level is not great either surprisingly. Strangely enough, it’s relatively louder at slower speeds, but does seem to be quiet on the highway. The Pirelli’s have way better handling and seem quieter all around. Aside from noise and handling, there is one thing the evos does really well. It feels like a bat out if hell when accelerating in a straight line. You can tell the engineering is optimized for that trait. I do like that a lot, and I’m sure it has great range, and I would accept the noise level too, but the handling is just too awful, I can’t accept it. That said, if you’re not a spirited driver, I think the evos are a great value. They’re just not for me.

Overall, I think the Pirelli AS PE hit all the cords I’m looking for. The Michelin PS AS 4’s are a close second and might also be better in snow, but we’re not optimizing for snow since we have winter tires. And the quiet ride and good range is also very much appreciated.

I hope this review helps others out there!

All these new EV tires are very exciting. I’m a huge Michelin fan, but they need to up their game on EV tires. For now, Pirelli is winning my business.

The_tire_wheel_of_TESLA_MODEL_3.jpg

"File:The tire wheel of TESLA MODEL 3.jpg" by Tokumeigakarinoaoshima is licensed under CC BY-SA 4.0.
Admin note: Image added for Blog Feed thumbnail

I bought the PS4AS and they were so much better than the stock MXM4s, I pretty much fell in love with them immediately. Very quiet, cornered well, just an overall great tire. However, they ate so much range that it was a dealbreaker.
What sort of range hit?
Ended up returning them to Discount Tire and swapping them for Hankook Ion Evos instead. Not a bad tire at all and the efficiency is great.
What is efficiency like vs MXM4, and what is handling like vs MXM4?

I bought the PS4AS and they were so much better than the stock MXM4s, I pretty much fell in love with them immediately. Very quiet, cornered well, just an overall great tire. However, they ate so much range that it was a dealbreaker.

Ended up returning them to Discount Tire and swapping them for Hankook Ion Evos instead. Not a bad tire at all and the efficiency is great.
How bad of a range hit was it? I have 2023 model 3 performance and i have put about 1500 miles on the ps4as. I see about 240/250watt/hr. Life time for the tires is at 251. Just let every one know they are on 235/45/18.

Reactions: awokeinthelbc
How bad of a range hit was it? I have 2023 model 3 performance and i have put about 1500 miles on the ps4as. I see about 240/250watt/hr. Life time for the tires is at 251. Just let every one know they are on 235/45/18.

I'm pretty impressed that you're pulling that kind of efficiency in the M3P. I estimate that the Michelins had a range hit of 15-20%. It was a very noticeable hit in range.

What sort of range hit?

What is efficiency like vs MXM4, and what is handling like vs MXM4?

I think the Hankooks are very close in efficiency to the (almost bald) MXM4s. The most noticeable improvement I've seen is that the Hankooks are a good bit quieter than the MXM4. Though this could be attributed to the Michelins being nearly bald. Honestly I probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the two in a blind test, they both feel like eco tires.

The other day I was searching for iONs and out of all places Walmart had them for $200 a pop, which is insanely cheap for EV focused tires. (Note: DiscountTire has them way over priced compared to what the iONs could purchase for ~$200.)

FWIW, Discount Tire will match prices if you order them online. Also, Hankook recently extended their $100 rebate until June 30.

One thing I will say - the 2023 model M3P Pirellis are simply utter garbage.
After 6 months and 13k miles, each developed side wall bubbles, one burst already ( driving on a spare till new tires arrive)

I have NEVER experienced such thing in the last 30 years of owning cars with mostly low profile tires.

One thing I will say - the 2023 model M3P Pirellis are simply utter garbage.
After 6 months and 13k miles, each developed side wall bubbles, one burst already ( driving on a spare till new tires arrive)

I have NEVER experienced such thing in the last 30 years of owning cars with mostly low profile tires.

Bulges are growing bigger - i just hope i'll make it another two days till my new tires arrive - obviously only have one spare and it is already on *facepalm

To tag along, any thoughts on the ExtremeContact DWS06 Plus?
That's what I have been running for about 7K miles. They are solid performers, a little noisier than the foam-lined models and really sure-footed in the wet. I find they slip a bit more than i would have thought when pushed hard in dry conditions. They seem to be wearing really well so far. When they are worn out I'll probably replace them with a max performance summer tire since I'm in CA and don't plan to do much/any driving in cold/snow/ice.

Reactions: m3p-ev
Very typical of eco focused tires. The compound and construction to reduce rolling resistance often make the tires quite terrible in damp and wet conditions.
The Hankook iON evo (summer version in EU) seems to do very well in the wet surprisingly.

The Hankook iON evo (summer version in EU) seems to do very well in the wet surprisingly.

yeah, really wish they'd sell that tire here. Here in So Cal we don't need all seasons! All the EV focused tires are all seasons in North America right now other than the Michelin PS4 foam lined I think, and that one isn't particularly efficient.

and yet, based on my somewhat extensive research, any tire other than those pirellis will actually improve efficiency.
I purchased Falken Azenis FK460 based on reviews.
Will see how those fare
I'm very interested in your long term review of the FK460s! They very well rated, but I do wonder about their efficiency and noise. In terms of grip and driving feel they seem to be some of the best for high performance all seasons.