Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RFID in a watch band

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Congrats on getting that to work
Definitely seems better than the key card for personal use when entering the car .....

But still far less convenient than the phone solution.
And you don't exactly want to hand off your watch to the Valet.

I have never used my key cards other than for a valet.
Am I missing something?

Reactions: Nerdy_Engineer
I don’t like the walk away lock. It takes too long and I feel like I walk slower because I'm waiting to hear the honk. With this I get out, stick my arm on the pillar, it locks and I go on my way. Probably wont use it for anything else

I agree with you on the walk away lock. I'm always turning around and checking if it's actually locking or not.. Nice job on the watchband BTW !

So in order for one to DRIVE the car - one has to have the watch band where (or only good for locking car when walking away?)?

You don’t actually have to hold the card in a specific place to drive.if you touch it to the center console you can put the car into drive for several minutes. This would work the same. Although since I wear my watch on my left hand it's a bit awkward.

I mainly use it for locking. In fact it's been working well enough I'm going to disable to walk away lock feature. That way my car will only be locked when I want it to be, and I wont have to grab my phone every time I need to grab something out of it. (If there were geofencing like sentry mode this wouldn’t be an issue)

so let the card soak in acetone say overnight and pull out chip?

Just use a glass vase or jar. (don't melt the cup too) And when you're done you'll have sort of a soup of the RFID chip, which has a long wire attached to it, the TESLA letters which are also metal, and some plastic goop. I just used a slotted spoon to grab the chip, then poured the acetone down the drain using the spoon as a strainer, then through the plastic goop in the garbage and washed out the vase.

• Disagree
Reactions: lardog
You don’t actually have to hold the card in a specific place to drive.if you touch it to the center console you can put the car into drive for several minutes. This would work the same. Although since I wear my watch on my left hand it's a bit awkward.

I mainly use it for locking. In fact it's been working well enough I'm going to disable to walk away lock feature. That way my car will only be locked when I want it to be, and I wont have to grab my phone every time I need to grab something out of it. (If there were geofencing like sentry mode this wouldn’t be an issue)
so do you have the Tesla app open and bluetooth on for your apple watch?