Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rimetrix Laminars are here

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mounted...

Packed real well. Each cover in its own protective bag. I used the bags to store the Gemini's.

Construction and fit are excellent. Install requires lining the inside of each rim edge with 7 cushion strip segments. Nice touch.

Tip: if you buy these wipe the inside edge with an alcohol pad. Some "dust" from manufacturing is present.
Rock solid on the rim.

Tough sun angle this morning. The better photos are in my garage. More later.
😎

Attachments

• 20211115_083451.jpg
    20211115_083451.jpg
    382.2 KB · Views: 730
  • 20211115_052949.jpg
    20211115_052949.jpg
    393.8 KB · Views: 512
  • 20211115_083328.jpg
    20211115_083328.jpg
    678.2 KB · Views: 486
  • 20211115_052809.jpg
    20211115_052809.jpg
    335.7 KB · Views: 525
  • 20211115_083244.jpg
    20211115_083244.jpg
    758.3 KB · Views: 529
So for $300 you get the range and the look and pocket $1700 over the 20' option and rim protection is a bonus.

Yes sir.
My biggest concern was the look. Its notable that they went all-in on making as good a looking product from plastic as possible.

Not at all shabby for the price and half as much as the one other I've seen.

Mounted...

Packed real well. Each cover in its own protective bag. I used the bags to store the Gemini's.

Construction and fit are excellent. Install requires lining the inside of each rim edge with 7 cushion strip segments. Nice touch.

Tip: if you buy these wipe the inside edge with an alcohol pad. Some "dust" from manufacturing is present.
Rock solid on the rim.

Tough sun angle this morning. The better photos are in my garage. More later.
😎
Thanks for the photos. Can't wait to get mine. Ordered it a couple of weeks ago.... now i just gotta be patient

I wonder if any of the aftermarket Tesla center caps fit on this? Would be a nice touch.
They do not. I wondered the same and asked Rimetrix's customer support and standard caps won't work.

The other option is to buy a sticker decal and put that on top of the Rimetrix logo. I thought about doing this, but eh... It's already black and you don't notice it unless you're up close and looking for it. If someone can find me an all black Tesla center cap sticker decals to buy, let me know - i mostly see silver ones.

• Informative
Reactions: cusetownusa
Kind of a dumb question, but looking at the pics I noticed the design of the "spokes" have sort of a directional twist (like a propellor or turbine blade) so I'm wondering if a set of 4 are all the same? Or do they have two that have a reversed twist to the spokes or blades? Just wondering since I figured Tesla designed wheels to extract air for aero purposes.

Kind of a dumb question, but looking at the pics I noticed the design of the "spokes" have sort of a directional twist (like a propellor or turbine blade) so I'm wondering if a set of 4 are all the same? Or do they have two that have a reversed twist to the spokes or blades? Just wondering since I figured Tesla designed wheels to extract air for aero purposes.

@Huladog I'm not sure how to answer about the direction/uniformity. However, Rimetrix are actually claiming that in their testing they got slightly better efficiency than the stock Gemini covers. They have a table and bar chart near the bottom of the product page Laminar Black - Set of 4 Wheel Covers that claims the Gemini get 3.5% better efficiency vs. no cover installed (just the Apollo rim underneath), and their Laminars get 3.61% better efficiency vs. no cover installed. While this is only a minor improvement over the Gemini covers, if true/typical, it means that you are at least not losing any efficiency vs. the Gemini and at best getting slightly better efficiency. [Where better efficiency means a lower Wh/mi and therefore more range on a given charge and under the same conditions, though we do not know how well conditions were controlled (to the extent that they can be) and how typical these results will be for others.]

The majority of Model Y’s I see on the road have either Induction or Uberturbines. Very few are Gemini’s. I’m pretty sure Tesla designed the covers to look terrible on purpose-$2000 is $2000 per car, which in the hundreds of thousands, is a lot of money!
Paying the $2000 for the inductions is a complete waste of money but most people don't realize this. For that price or even less, you can get an aftermarket set of wheels and tires, either 19 inch or even 20 inch and more than likely have a nicer looking option than the induction wheels and sell the geminis with tires for probably $1500 or so and make out in the end. I knew i wanted black wheels on my car but i opted for the included geminis and spent that $2k towards an aftermarket set of wheels and tires and put my geminis aside. I'm not selling them but at least now I have a nicer looking set of wheels and tires (22 inch set) and my geminis as a spare set.

• Disagree
Reactions: Noflash and RocDeef
Kind of a dumb question, but looking at the pics I noticed the design of the "spokes" have sort of a directional twist (like a propellor or turbine blade) so I'm wondering if a set of 4 are all the same?
It looks like all four Rimetrix Laminar hubcaps are the same design, which means the charging port side (left) has hubcaps that look like they are spinning backwards to their direction.

Probably increase the cost if they made a left and right side, plus including instructions for people to (not) read.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
I don't understand the need for something like this. Most people regularly carry their phones on them nowadays which works as your key. From that video, you need to touch the door with the actual ring....this seems like an unnecessary extra step vs. walking up with your phone in your pocket and simply opening the door.

I wonder if any of the aftermarket Tesla center caps fit on this? Would be a nice touch.
This video is for the M3 covers, but I would think the cap he used will work on a Y -

The cap set he used is OUT OF STOCK, but I found these - https://www.amazon.com/Circular-Alu...l+Hub+Caps+Centre+Cover,automotive,179&sr=8-3

• Informative
Reactions: cusetownusa