Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rivian apparently building their own charging network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And CCS is now absolutely the standard, so much so that Teslas in EU are all CCS since 2014. But for North America not only do Teslas have a proprietary plug, but the only adapter is made by a 3rd party and not particularly reliable. Tesla could make adapters to go from the Tesla plug to CCS, and from CCS to Tesla. They could also start migrating the cars and Superchargers to be CCS plugs.
Teslas using the CCS plug in Europe was not something they volunteered to do, it was mandated by the EU.

• Informative
  • Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike and GreenT
Teslas using the CCS plug in Europe was not something they volunteered to do, it was mandated by the EU.
It's not mandated in Australia, New Zealand, Middle East, Hong Kong/Macau, Central Asia, or any other jurisdiction I may have missed where Tesla also use CCS.

And if you talk to owners in those countries, they are much happier at having free reign of both superchargers and public charging networks. In my state there aren't any superchargers at all - but there are 3 conveniently located ultra-rapid (350 kW) stations. Model 3 owners can use these natively and get >190 kW charge rates.

And CCS is now absolutely the standard, so much so that Teslas in EU are all CCS since 2014.

No, they haven't been. The S&X still come with a slightly custom Type 2 port, and a CCS adapter. (The CCS adapter didn't even come out until mid 2019 if I recall correctly.)

Maybe the refreshed S&X, that they haven't started delivering yet, will come with a native CCS port. We will have to wait and see.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
It was never mandated that a vehicle come with a CCS port. (The Leaf still comes with CHAdeMO after all.) There was a mandate that new "public" chargers installs offer CCS plugs, but there can still be other types of plugs installed as well. There was debate on if Tesla chargers even qualified as "public" and were subject to the mandate. (Especially since they were installing Superchargers with no CCS plugs after the mandate started.)

Reactions: pilotSteve and Chuq
Why is Rivian trying to reinvent the wheel? They could simply license the Supercharger standard and save a ton of money by getting support from the only company that has managed to make a successful North American charging network.
because the CCS system that rivian is employing is the defacto industry standard, the tesla system is a proprietary tesla system

Huzzah!

I wish the Arkansas State Parks and Entergy could put together a plan for charging locations at our state parks' visitors center and select trailheads that have power nearby. Make a few slam dunks to show good faith and then roll out the harder to get installations over the next decade. The 50A campsites are neat, but they're usually full unless you have a reservation weeks in advance.

• Informative
Reactions: Janus
Sounds good, but in practice it won’t work.
You going mountain biking for 30 minutes or 3 hrs? You’ll just tie up chargers. Places that offer hiking, mountain biking etc are packed in NH in the summer. I’m sure it’s popular in other places too. And if it’s off the beaten path it won’t be utilized enough.

• Disagree
Reactions: LoudMusic and mk677