Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rivian vs Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Rivian might have the new look/feel goodies but until they start getting drivers feedback on their cars, they will still be behind Tesla in terms of software. Magically if Rivian got some awesome operations folks that can streamline the changes/updates then I'll eat my words.

Reactions: nate704
Rivians are amazing vehicles. The interior is fantastic and the build quality is outstanding. They hit it out of the park with bespoke level engineering and quality. I wish I could afford it, I would buy both the RT1 and RTS. They are actually a great value for what they are offering.

Rivian is the real deal. The product is outstanding.

Reactions: bobbyjae
Rivians are amazing vehicles. The interior is fantastic and the build quality is outstanding. They hit it out of the park with bespoke level engineering and quality. I wish I could afford it, I would buy both the RT1 and RTS. They are actually a great value for what they are offering.

Rivian is the real deal. The product is outstanding.
Which department do you work at Rivian? Marketing? :cool:

Reactions: Yelobird
Sounds like I’m not the only one watching Rivian. I’d like a three row I can put people in all three rows with, also haul gear and use a roof rack. Tesla doesn’t have that car, at least yet, though you can do something with the hitch. I do wonder what will happen with all of these EV upstarts (Canoo, Lucid, etc).

Sounds like I’m not the only one watching Rivian. I’d like a three row I can put people in all three rows with, also haul gear and use a roof rack. Tesla doesn’t have that car, at least yet, though you can do something with the hitch. I do wonder what will happen with all of these EV upstarts (Canoo, Lucid, etc).

The Model X comes in 5, 6 (well used to) and 7 seat versions, and it's probably the best comparison for what Rivian is shipping at the current time in both size and price. Yes, Rivian has a roadmap to make stuff down closer to the Model Y's price... but those really don't exist yet and Rivian is running a loss on even the expensive ones it's actually shipping.

I like the Rivian products - but they have to be compared on what's actually being shipped, not future plans.

I've looked at and driven the RT1. It's impressive all around. Build quality, they really sweat the details. Solid construction, and very impressive fabrication. I don't know how they afford to make such elaborate interiors, and they are beautifully screwed together.

*Btw, the X is not in the same market as the Rivian Suv. The Riv is more in line with a Escalade or Navigator.
@ZenRockGarden you're right, the price of the Rivians is into X territory. It's not a Y competitor. Wish it was! What a hell of deal that would be!LOL

I was very skeptical of Lucid but seems like they have enough backing to grow... i'm not so impressed with it, but it certainly looks fantastic.

Canoo has made at least a few Walmart last mile delivery vehicles. I had high hopes because I love the design. They genuinely took advantage of the freedom of ev skateboard design. But I just don't see them surviving. They seem like the eternal hype machine with no product. Hope I'm proven wrong.

Tesla has several major benefits:
patented technology
proven long term ev experience
supercharger network
Tesla is also the innovator in the EV space. EVERYTHING is benchmarking Tesla. From giant center screens, panorama roofs, flush door handles, app owner experience... there is no doubt they have shaped the EV space into what it is.

I've looked at and driven the RT1. It's impressive all around. Build quality, they really sweat the details. Solid construction, and very impressive fabrication. I don't know how they afford to make such elaborate interiors, and they are beautifully screwed together.
I think that’s the long term issue. Even after the price increases and removal of standard features (auto bed cover) they are still loosing money on every car built! IF they find a method to scale this issue will grow massively unfortunately. Yes they are loved, but that typically happens when you make a few thousand vs Millions of cars. Then it gets real.

I would seriously consider buying a Rivian if it cost around $50-$60k, but not at $100k plus as well as software/hardware that need huge improvement.

I would consider buying a Model X at $85K but not at current prices. Any more and I’d pick a BMW iX at the same price point.

The reality is that Tesla doesn’t have a practical three row SUV. The Y is too small and the X is just a weird design.

R1S is a great value at the old pricing and an okay value at the newer prices.

I think that’s the long term issue. Even after the price increases and removal of standard features (auto bed cover) they are still loosing money on every car built! IF they find a method to scale this issue will grow massively unfortunately. Yes they are loved, but that typically happens when you make a few thousand vs Millions of cars. Then it gets real.
I feel like even starting at $100k and quickly going up they'll have great demand. There's no alternative options and I don't see any pumping out huge competing quanities soon.

Be great for the original reservation holders like me if they continue to honor pricing at time of order.

The thing is even if you reserve one now it doesn't say anything about pricing as older reservations did. They're leaving theyre options open to increase prices much more.

I hope they succeed, it's a great design, and I can't stand the established brands that force you to dealerships.

Reactions: nate704
Personally after just driving 2500 mile trip in a Tesla and testing a few CCS electrify america stops my main concern with owning a rivian is horrible ccs charging options.

Even on i10 it's not great and that connects huge Texas cities with Phoenix and LA. I don't know how I'll do any long trips in my rivian, or consider any of the remote locations they market the vehicle for. I'd probably pay $10k or more to be able to use it with full price superchargers.

Personally after just driving 2500 mile trip in a Tesla and testing a few CCS electrify america stops my main concern with owning a rivian is horrible ccs charging options.

Even on i10 it's not great and that connects huge Texas cities with Phoenix and LA. I don't know how I'll do any long trips in my rivian, or consider any of the remote locations they market the vehicle for. I'd probably pay $10k or more to be able to use it with full price superchargers.
Since Tesla is opening up superchargers to everyone, this may be a moot point in a short time.
It would make a lot of sense for Rivian (and others like Lucid) to adapt Tesla's charger. When that happens, it's really equalizing this benefit across brands that adapt.

Regarding range and efficiency, keep in mind that the R1 owners easily match or beat the EPA range in real-world driving.
A Model Y might get close to the EPA range but only if driving downhill with a tailwind.

But… Rivian apparently hasn’t completely solved their phantom drain issue either, which also plagued Tesla early on. Rivians are known for being a sizable portion of monthly power bills even when the trucks are sitting in the garage unused.