Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rivian vs Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Watch this video of Rich traveling to Florida and back in Rivian.
Charging for 2+ hours behind Walmart if you find a working fast charger for $75 and 200 range.
I love Rivian, Rich loves it too. If you plan to drive locally and charge at home fine spend $100k. But thinking of driving even 300 miles or towing you are better off buying gasser.

Reactions: nate704 and MacO512
Since Tesla is opening up superchargers to everyone, this may be a moot point in a short time.
It would make a lot of sense for Rivian (and others like Lucid) to adapt Tesla's charger. When that happens, it's really equalizing this benefit across brands that adapt.
I agree that would be amazing for non Tesla EVs.

I'll believe it when I see it. Musk says many things are happing soon that don't.

Tesla for certain will get one or a couple brands in their superchargers, that'll release huge federal funds to them. I'm not sure its in their interest to open superchargers to every EV.

Who knows though. Maybe they can get a monopoly on chargers and with the massive barriers to entry others may not catch up for many decades.

That's literally the same with any ev. I can drive my ICE car non-stop from LA to San Fran at 85mph and still have over a 1/4 tank at the end.
No EV can match that.
Charging infrastructure is a temporary problem.
I regularly drive 600 miles in one day on Tesla. it takes me hour and a half longer than on gas car because I have to stop 3 times at superchargers. But I enjoy the trip because autopilot is the bomb. It doesn’t take me 2 hours or $75 to charge to get 200 miles in range. But that is exactly the problem with Rivian - it is inefficient and charging infrastructure is not there. It is a Home Depot weekend warrior truck.
Rivian sells it as fun trip vehicle with camping gear.
Picking Rivian or MY - MY all they long for efficiency, technology, and infrastructure
Rivian is nice but don’t plan to drive far from your house.

I agree that would be amazing for non Tesla EVs.

I'll believe it when I see it. Musk says many things are happing soon that don't.

Tesla for certain will get one or a couple brands in their superchargers, that'll release huge federal funds to them. I'm not sure its in their interest to open superchargers to every EV.

Who knows though. Maybe they can get a monopoly on chargers and with the massive barriers to entry others may not catch up for many decades.
I actually was hoping he opens it but now I don’t want him to. Before I was driving long distance and superchargers were 50% full and you could charge fast. Last trip every stall was taken and I was sitting for 20 min in line and took me 40 min to charge instead of 20 min. I can only imagine what will happened if he opens it up to others. I would never take Tesla on these trips. Last trip with packed chargers was not fun. Now I understand those line in California. Crazy frustrating.

I'm still waffling on this decision... I have a late 2018 stealth P3D, the 4-year warranty ended a few weeks ago but the car is holding up well.

If I reserve an R1T now, I probably won't get it until 2024 but that's more time for Rivian to sort out issues and improve the software+app. And it would be better to lock in a quad-motor order before the dual-motor comes out, which will surely result in significant price increases for the quad.

I also have a Cybertruck reservation (the morning after reveal) which could in theory come around the same time, but it has no hope of fitting in my garage where the R1T would fit (a bit tight with 2 cars though). It would be cool to have the mind-blowing next-level tech but it's the least practical option for sure.

Or I could just say screw it and get a new MYP next year. The extra storage and hatchback are what I could really use.

But then back to my current car... it's a bit noisy and rough compared to the latest versions, but it's got FSD beta enabled, lifetime premium internet, low miles (24k) and the unicorn combination of P3 performance with 18" aero efficiency. All the more reason to keep it another year but that's how far you have to plan ahead for new EV models.

Reactions: MacO512
I actually was hoping he opens it but now I don’t want him to. Before I was driving long distance and superchargers were 50% full and you could charge fast. Last trip every stall was taken and I was sitting for 20 min in line and took me 40 min to charge instead of 20 min. I can only imagine what will happened if he opens it up to others. I would never take Tesla on these trips. Last trip with packed chargers was not fun. Now I understand those line in California. Crazy frustrating.

Agreed with your concerns and I've seen that to. However Tesla has the means to overcome this.

They've opened it in Europe but slowly and making sure there are enough chargers.

Maybe it starts with only 10-20% of spots available to non Tesla. Rivian driver would gladly wait his turn if other option is level 2. Tesla is making 300%+ markup on electricity, so these packed chargers give them the cash flow to build more chargers and do it faster than any group out there.

Reactions: zpaul
Since Tesla is opening up superchargers to everyone, this may be a moot point in a short time.
It would make a lot of sense for Rivian (and others like Lucid) to adapt Tesla's charger. When that happens, it's really equalizing this benefit across brands that adapt.
Yeah that’s a great hope but I would bet that’s a Long bet and only IF the government heavily steps up to chip in on the investment cost. Nothing is free.

Yeah that’s a great hope but I would bet that’s a Long bet and only IF the government heavily steps up to chip in on the investment cost. Nothing is free.
This is not new info- There is no "if", it's going to happen soon. They just started it first in Europe.

Tesla has already applied for federal monies regarding non-tesla supercharging use.
per the White House
Tesla will begin production of new Supercharger equipment that will enable non-Tesla EV drivers in North America to use Tesla Superchargers.

Tesla accidentally released this in their app:
Supercharger membership packages for Non-Tesla EV owners. There are two plans: • Pay Per Use: Pay as you go, access to Supercharger network • Membership: $0.99/month (in the US), access to Supercharger network, lower price per kWh

Likely Tesla will add CCS leads or adapters at superchargers, and add non-tesla membership pkgs to the app
Tesla has already published open-patent agreements to any manufacturer that wants to use Tesla's plug (Tesla calls their plug the "North American Charging Standard")

Reactions: cusetownusa
R1S is much bigger vehicle and in different size class as well as the different price point/target customers, so comparing the interior volume/size of R1S and MY doesn't provide any useful information.
but if you put in your Rivian reservation before March 1st, the R1S Adventurer with the probably tax credit gives a 67500 base price, which is just over what the MYP was that same month. But for the 2+ year delay in delivery.

but if you put in your Rivian reservation before March 1st, the R1S Adventurer with the probably tax credit gives a 67500 base price, which is just over what the MYP was that same month. But for the 2+ year delay in delivery.
This tax credit thing is very clear as mud, but as far as I know no car qualifies for the full credit due to the battery material source/origin (even Tesla), and the Tax credit is non-refundable, which means average American people who gets tax refund will not see a dime.
Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

Rivian will never see this any time soon. :cool:

Charging from 9% to 95%
IMG_2512.jpg

This tax credit thing is very clear as mud, but as far as I know no car qualifies for the full credit due to the battery material source/origin (even Tesla), and the Tax credit is non-refundable, which means average American people who gets tax refund will not see a dime.
Going forward yes. If you already had a reservation as the post you replied to said, and opted to make a portion non refundable you can receive the old tax credit that was basically a simple 7500 regardless of when delivery takes place (2024+)

Nobody ordering today can get that old tax credit though.

Going forward yes. If you already had a reservation as the post you replied to said, and opted to make a portion non refundable you can receive the old tax credit that was basically a simple 7500 regardless of when delivery takes place (2024+)

Nobody ordering today can get that old tax credit though.
that's at least the game being played. I'm far enough back in line that I may be able to see if that is successful for 2023 deliveries. Rivian isn't the only one that tried to do this, so the IRS would likely issue a finding if they disagree.

You are wrong on the tax refund part, just because it is a non refundable credit doesn't mean it is based on your tax due with the return. It is based on your total tax liability before withholding, credits, etc. Ln 16 of 1040.

Reactions: voxel
And Elon has "had plans" to make a $30k model 3 for half a decade. That's about as real as the low-price versions of the Rivian.
Yeah - the ‘affordable model 3’ went out the window last year when the price of cars was going up faster than the price of real estate.

As a public corporation, Tesla has an obligation to maximize profits, so I can’t begrudge them for raising prices, but as an EV fan it would’ve been nice for them to keep the entry price more accessible