TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Roadster 1.5 Owners Wanting 3.0 Upgrade

Discussion in 'Roadster 2008-2012' started by asgard, Sep 19, 2015.

Tags:
  1. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

#61 ecarfan, Sep 27, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2015
    I am not going to set a timeline on how long I am going to wait for a new 1.5 battery, but I can say that I won't be threatening Tesla with any action over the issue.
    All Tesla has to do is continue to repair and support the original 1.5 battery. While I am of course very disappointed that there is so far no new and better 1.5 battery, Tesla is under no obligation legal or otherwise to offer me one m

2. nsxpert

nsxpert Member

#62 nsxpert, Sep 27, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2015
    This is all highly disappointing, but makes sense that tesla can't support the 1.5's and rest of the roadster models equally.
    You can put me on the list for 100% wanting to buy a 3.0 battery if they ever make it technically possible.

3. Zak

Zak Member

Most definitely yes. I do wonder why they can't tell us by how much the weight has increased though.

4. stevejust

stevejust T E S L A x (≡)

Frankly, I think this as a tweet might have the most chance of getting response, sometime after the launch of the Model X tomorrow. Maybe late next week?

@elonmusk: what is the plan for the longevity of Roadster 1.5s given no 3.0 availability? Sincerely, @500 worried early adopters.

It won't come from me, because I'm not the original owner. They don't care about me. But if some of the original signature or founder's series owners sent a tweet like this, there could be a response.

5. jeremyz

jeremyz Member

elon-straubel.jpg
    These guys are both enthusiastic original Roadster 1.5 owners. If only they had some sway over deciding how well Tesla supports the Roadster 1.5.

6. ecarfan

Wow, great photo, haven't seen that one before. 2008-era? It isn't often that we see photos of Elon with a huge grin. JB looks his usual somewhat reserved self.

7. Strib

Strib Member

Thinking about mentioning this high level of angst if E.M. speaks to us tomorrow night at the gala Model X Launch event...

8. asgard

asgard Member

We might get more attention if we deliver one letter with a lot of signatures. We may have to water down some of the text to be acceptable to everyone in this thread.

9. Zak

Zak Member

The pic is from my blog ;-) Re: P1 Arriving Now! :) | Tesla Motors

Elon and JB do both have early Roadsters. I'm not sure that Elon is still driving his though. I had heard it is now on display, rather than on the road. I could be wrong here.

I'm not sure what components JB's car has inside. His is a very early prototype that has been modified many times over the years. If I had to guess, I would say that his has been upgrade to at least 2.0 spec.

10. ViperDoc

ViperDoc Roadster 1305

I am a 2.5 owner, and you can add me to the list of Roadster owners who think that Tesla should support a similar battery upgrade to the 1.5. However, as others have said, I wonder whether adding our names to that list, when we aren't necessarily buying a battery for a 1.5 makes a difference. If the development cost to overcome the issue that has led to no 1.5 battery upgrade to date costs a lot of money, I wonder how many 2.0 and 2.5 owners would be willing to shoulder a portion of those development costs spread across all battery upgrades (not just the 1.5's but increase the cost of 2.0 and 2.5 so all upgrades were the same price to keep Tesla "breaking even")? Then there'd be some skin in the game, but without that, I am not sure Tesla would really care.

11. asgard

asgard Member

I might be wrong, but there is no upgrade path from a 1.5 to a 2.0 (i.e. everything is incompatible, from the PEM to the lack of switch pack to an entirely new firmware). Hence it would make sense that the 1.5 is dead-ended.

12. Zak

Zak Member

asgard - you are generally correct, though Tesla upgraded a few prototypes from 1.0, or 1.5, to 2.0 spec. It requires a serious overhaul of the car, but it can be done. For purposes of a 3.0 battery upgrade though, they would need to develop it for the 1.5 car. I'm not sure what the exact issue is. I wish Tesla would tell us so we didn't have to speculate. It would also be nice if they could tell us if they are considering an upgrade path for 1.5 cars.

13. asgard

asgard Member

Forum user "roadster22" posted in the 3.0 thread that his internal contact at Tesla informed him of a battery upgrade for the 1.5 possibly in the works.

14. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

I remember that blog entry but forgot about the specific picture. Pity Tesla's web people couldn't be bothered to transfer the high res images when they redid the site a few years back. Many important images (such as the useful Roadster range and speed blog) were lost during that transition.

15. slcasner

slcasner Active Member

OK, now that Tesla has made the 3.0 battery upgrade available for 1.5 cars we'll find out how many of the 1.5 owners really meant it! :cool:

I put down my deposit today. I look forward to being able to drive to Santa Barbara without a charging stop.

16. ecarfan

I put down my deposit yesterday for a 3.0 battery. [emoji2]

17. AEdennis

AEdennis Active Member

I'm consistent... We still have pretty good capacity on ours and will wait until we have greater degradation.

Glad to see Tesla offer this to us though.

18. bobinfla

bobinfla S-Vin 4086 Rdstr-Vin 0019

My deposit went in yesterday. :smile:

19. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

I am saving in earnest. Hopefully will have the fund before next summer.

20. asgard

asgard Member

I splurged! I just received a replacement battery under warranty but I went ahead with the upgrade anyway :)