Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster 3.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Scott, the Tesla field people have had incorrect info before. Nothing new there. Manny Soto is incorrect. The latest text Tesla website page for the 3.0 battery disagrees with him. Quote: "Now available for all Roadster models.". See Tesla Accessories and Charging Adapters Roadster 3.0 Battery Upgrade
That is so odd. First significant discrepancy within the Tesla organization I have experienced. I inquired from the 3.0 department but have not heard back from them yet. But take a look at this email from the Tesla representative I asked in Orlando.

Hello Mr. Ales,

The Roadster Battery Upgrade is only available for US Roadsters 2.0 and later. If you require additional information or assistance, please feel free to contact me directly. Hope all is well!

Thanks,
Manny Soto | Service Concierge

Last edited:
This Reuters article contains a quote from the CEO of LG Chem that appears to confirm that LG Chem is the source of the cells for the 3.0 battery.
http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSL3N12T35M20151029
"Tesla has told us that LG Chem is only providing replacement batteries for the automaker's out-of-production Roadster models," Tsuga told a news conference.

I feel something like weaker than expected demand may have made this more economically viable. Perhaps even the $29k price required ordering 500 on the full contract and they were not at that pace.

I think they just desired to do the right thing for early customers. There wasn't an easy solution, they continued working on it, and came up with a creative solution that didn't require complicated rearchitecture. It wasn't announced sooner because they truly didn't know if there was a solution.

This Reuters article contains a quote from the CEO of LG Chem that appears to confirm that LG Chem is the source of the cells for the 3.0 battery.
http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSL3N12T35M20151029
"Tesla has told us that LG Chem is only providing replacement batteries for the automaker's out-of-production Roadster models," Tsuga told a news conference.
According to InsideEVs and WSJ, Tesla confirmed that the LG Chem contract is for Roadster 3.0 batteries.

On the German TFF forum, I saw a post that mentions the price of the new battery € 30000 (nothing new), but also a REFUND for the old battery: € 5000. There are 3 roadsters in the Düsseldorf SeC now for the upgrade, I will try to follow the progression there..

Is it a good cell? If so, what is good about it?

My thoughts exactly - before I invest $29K, I want to know if these cells will hold up the way our current ones have. I expressed this and other related questions (such as the actual weight difference of the new pack, how long it would be available, etc.) when I spoke with Laura. Hopefully, as more specific information comes to light, some of the more tech savvy members of this forum will enlighten us all.

Since the original LiCoO2 cells were an older less durable chemistry than what is available today and since I can't imagine Tesla using a cell less durable than that I think it's safe to say the new pack will be more durable than the original. Plus the fact that the larger pack size means it will see less stress over all.

Since the original LiCoO2 cells were an older less durable chemistry than what is available today and since I can't imagine Tesla using a cell less durable than that I think it's safe to say the new pack will be more durable than the original. Plus the fact that the larger pack size means it will see less stress over all.
As someone who just placed an order for a 3.0 battery, I agree with you and really do not have concerns about the reliability and durability of the new 3.0 cell type, whatever specific cell Tesla has chosen. I expect it to be about as robust as the current Model S cells, which would be a tremendous improvement over the original Roadster cells m

LG Chem must be doing something right with their batteries. They've been stacking up battery wins with tons of upcoming electric cars (prismatic cells).

Here's a review of the LG HG2 cell (assuming this is the cell they would use)
LG HG2 Review (20A, 3000mAh) 18650 Battery | BATTERY BRO

In small lots, you can buy the cells for $4.50 a piece
LG 18650 Hg2 3000mah 18650 50 Pack (wholesale) - Luna Cycle

I would guess that Tesla would get a much cheaper price than that due to their buying in large volumes directly from LG. If you assume Tesla gets the cells for $3 a piece, that would be $20493 for a fresh set of cells. That would give Tesla $8500 to remove the pack and PEM, ship tnem someplace, modify the PEM, take the battery apart, remove 6831 cells, install 6831 cells, put the battery pack together, ship it back and re-install it in the car.

Roadster 3.0 News: no Aero, Brakes, or Bearings

I got an email from Tesla yesterday confirming my battery upgrade pricing with the BatteryReplacement Agreement.

In that email was a link to the updated Roadster 3.0 FAQ which, among other things, reveals that there will be no upgrade for aerodynamics, brakes, or bearings.

Worth a read, as well as tracking for future changes.

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]What kind of upgrade is done to the PEM and since it will be altered, does it get any kind of warranty?[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]There is only a small circuitry change done within the PEM to allow for a higher maximum charging voltage. We will warranty the work done on this small upgrade for the same duration as the new battery pack but we will not be able to extend the warranty on other functions and hardware in the PEM since that hardware will not be replaced.[/FONT]
[/FONT]

I'm quite surprised this couldn't be handled in software. I think the LG cells are capable of 4.35V, though I'd assume Tesla slightly undercharges them.

I got an email from Tesla yesterday confirming my battery upgrade pricing with the BatteryReplacement Agreement.

In that email was a link to the updated Roadster 3.0 FAQ which, among other things, reveals that there will be no upgrade for aerodynamics, brakes, or bearings.

Worth a read, as well as tracking for future changes.

This is quite a revelation !!! (however the link doesn't work, at least not for me).
Maybe we should all look to @Wiztecy for bearing upgrade specs and @PV4EV for Aero and low rolling tyre modification info :) ... and even in this sharing community, that info has value.