Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster on Top Gear

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What was supplied in the second vid that we didn't get in the first?

I'd think these Tomtoms would be collectors items since they've effectively been banned. Also, I don't really see what the big deal is. Clarkson's voice on a satnav is better than Mr. T's. "Turn left, Fool!!" Ok, I take that last part back.

Not a big deal really Doug... just fufilling a desire to smack a lying, smarmy w*nker for pure childish pleasure...that's all! :biggrin:

What was supplied in the second vid that we didn't get in the first?

I'd think these Tomtoms would be collectors items since they've effectively been banned. Also, I don't really see what the big deal is. Clarkson's voice on a satnav is better than Mr. T's. "Turn left, Fool!!" Ok, I take that last part back.

Looks like Tesla lost on the libel claim lawsuit:

Tugendhat said: "In my judgment, the words complained of are wholly incapable of conveying any meaning at all to the effect that the claimant [Tesla] misled anyone.

"This is because there is a contrast between the style of driving and the nature of the track as compared with the conditions on a public road […] are so great that no reasonable person could understand that the performance on the [Top Gear] track is capable of a direct comparison with a public road."

Tesla also sued for "malicious falsehood" and that verdict will be given in a few weeks, according to the guardian.

I disagree with the judge in this matter. I believe that the statement "This is because there is a contrast between the style of driving and the nature of the track as compared with the conditions on a public road […] are so great that no reasonable person could understand that the performance on the [Top Gear] track is capable of a direct comparison with a public road." is simply wrong. I don't believe that people do understand that there is a difference. I imagine that, because there is no stop-start traffic on a track, some would assume even better fuel efficiency! This is evidenced by countless incidents of people asking me if I would get anxious about range if I were stuck in traffic; they don't understand that at EV is at a very low power state in traffic. And, in addition, as many cars achieve better mpg on the EPA test cycle than on the road, there is an expectation that cars on "test tracks" do better than on the road.

So, in summary: Wrong wrong wrong.

...This is because there is a contrast between the style of driving and the nature of the track as compared with the conditions on a public road […] are so great that no reasonable person could understand that the performance on the [Top Gear] track is capable of a direct comparison with a public road...

The judge is clueless here. Most people barely know that how you drive a car affects MPG.

Yes but it was one guy's word against another. He said he'd seen it, I'm not sure they had a copy.

What's interesting is that under English libel law, the defendant has to prove that their libelous statement(s) are true to mount a succesful defence. So to get this judgement the BBC must have convinced the court how they arrived at 55 miles range, for example, unless that isn't in dispute.

What's the strike rate now on EM's court cases?

Agree completely mpt!
I disagree with the judge in this matter. I believe that the statement "This is because there is a contrast between the style of driving and the nature of the track as compared with the conditions on a public road […] are so great that no reasonable person could understand that the performance on the [Top Gear] track is capable of a direct comparison with a public road." is simply wrong. I don't believe that people do understand that there is a difference. I imagine that, because there is no stop-start traffic on a track, some would assume even better fuel efficiency! This is evidenced by countless incidents of people asking me if I would get anxious about range if I were stuck in traffic; they don't understand that at EV is at a very low power state in traffic. And, in addition, as many cars achieve better mpg on the EPA test cycle than on the road, there is an expectation that cars on "test tracks" do better than on the road.