TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Roadster VIN list

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by DanielFriederich, Oct 8, 2015.

Tags:
  1. ATC@LWSK

TEG,

Could you please share some info about Roadsters in the Middle East? I can only find about one 2.5 (I believe) in blue color that was used as a rental car in Dubai few years ago. Any other Roadster that made their way in the land of oil? Thanks

2. MileHighMotoring

Thanks for the background info, TEG. And thanks for doing the work.

3. supersnoop

supersnoop Tesla Roadster #334

I was thinking specifically about CarFAX and AutoCheck which typically prohibit automated access (or deem it "commercial use") and restrict reproduction or distribution of content attained from their websites. But I am not a lawyer.

4. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Typing in VINs by hand, one at a time, and seeing if it says they have any records on file seems "fair game" to me...
    Doing this as a non-registered, non-paying guest. They basically offer number of records returned as a "teaser" to let you know there is more info you could buy.

Also, I have never made any money in any way from any of this.

• Like x 3
  5. Carl W

Carl W 2008, #311 thunder gray 1.5

Hi TEG. I just parked my gray #311 next to a blue validation prototype 31 at Top of the World in Laguna Beach. Went for a run with my daughter and when i got back, it was gone. Wanted to ask some questions about it. do you happen to know who the owner is? Perhaps they are on this board or you've run across them in the past? Thanks!

6. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

VP31 has been around...
    Here was me driving it when it was "new"...
    VP31-1.jpg
    It has been in Seattle, Delaware, Denver, ...
    VP31-2.jpg
    VP31-3.JPG
    VP31-4.jpg

I don't know who owns it now.

7. tvuolo

tvuolo Supporting Member

Was this the one in the Park Meadows showroom for a while? Circa March 2013.

8. MrRandyB

MrRandyB Member

5YJRE11BX81V00031 looks to be continuously registered in Colorado to the same person since 10/2009

9. tvuolo

tvuolo Supporting Member

Stump the TEG:
    OK, @TEG, here's another VIN for you to work on. This was my very first Roadster siting. August 26, 2008, 3pm, heading west toward Boulder, CO, on Highway 36. By the time it registered in my brain, and I got my phone going, it was quite a ways away. :) It had to be one of the first in Colorado. IMG_0100.JPG

10. Carl W

Carl W 2008, #311 thunder gray 1.5

It's amazing that I asked you about a specific Roadster and you happen to have actually driven it and with lots of pictures. If it's still registered in Colorado as Mr RandyB said, it's interesting that it was in Laguna Beach, CA on Sunday.

Also, the VIN tag that you pictured shows that it was manufactured in January of 09, but that seems late to me for a validation prototype. That sounds later than some of actual production cars.

Anyway, thanks for turning up the info.

11. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Many of the VPs were made after production had started. Sometimes they wanted to try out a new update, and sometimes they just needed another 'marketing car' to loan to press, etc.

There is a black Roadster "VP201" which I find somewhat of a mystery since the number is way out of the regular sequence... When was it made? For what purpose?
    Anyways, I think it got sold to someone in the SF bay area...

12. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Was that Orange or Yellow? Surprisingly it can sometimes be hard to tell from distant pictures.

If it was Yellow, it might have been Kimbal's founders'... Perhaps the first in Colorado.
    I ([email protected]#$%^&*()(*&^%$#@) touched a Tesla Roadster yesterday.

• Like x 2
  13. tvuolo

tvuolo Supporting Member

That's amazing! It was indeed yellow, and heading toward Boulder fits the Kimbal theory. I'm guessing you are correct. Seeing my first roadster was as memorable as my first kiss, or the first time I held a girl's hand. My wife just rolls her eyes when I tell her things like that. :)

• Love x 2
  14. Jonathanm

Jonathanm Member

Well as of today I have paid a deposit on this car:

SFZRE2B19B3000510

2.5 Red with Carbon hard top, soft top never been used - runs beautifully. I should have it by next weekend :)

Would have rather had a less "look at me" colour but the car had been beautifully looked after by the first (original) owner... He had to trade up to an S as children were coming....

15. ggr

ggr Roadster R80 537, SigS P85 29

That VIN is before ours, and ours is a 2.0. In fact, 500/501 was the first 2.0. What makes you think it's a 2.5? (Note: it's possible to retrofit the 2.5 dashboard with half-moon vents.)

16. Jonathanm

Jonathanm Member

Good question - it has been advertised as a 2.5...it does have the 2.5 dash with the half moon vents and Alpine Stereo with Nav etc...I just wonder if there is any difference with the VIN numbers between EU and US?
    If it is a 2.0 its not the end of the world but maybe some discussion will be had on final payment....it is not yet done...

17. Jonathanm

Jonathanm Member

#37 Jonathanm, Dec 30, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
    Further research reveals the following: Front badge and bumper is 2.5 style, rear diffuseur is 2.5 style, wheels are black "turbine" 2.5 style. I am even more confused. I will get to the bottom of this...

18. ggr

ggr Roadster R80 537, SigS P85 29

Trust the @TEG. I'm sure he'll sort it out.

Actually, even easier. I didn't realize you were in Europe (just hadn't looked), and also didn't realize that there were separate VIN sequences for different regions. Your VIN is from Europe, so it probably is a 2.5. There's a whole thread about Roadster VINs: Decoding Tesla Roadster VINs

19. slcasner

slcasner Member

I think the confusion in this case might be between USA and EU VIN sequences?

20. supersnoop

supersnoop Tesla Roadster #334

It's European. They have their own sequence numbers.

• Informative x 1