Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roll Call: Who Ordered a P-AWD without Performance Upgrade?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I opted in to the Performance + Performance Package. It is likely I'll take this car to the track during my ownership of it. I would actually prefer the aero 18s and sleeper look, but feel a bit forced into the Performance Upgrade Package because of the upgraded brakes. I prefer having the factory added "big brakes" over an aftermaket install just for warranty and service purposes. Since I'm locked into the 20 inch wheels; I was hoping to use the 20s in the summer and still be able to drop the 18" aero winter package on it during the winter season, but looks like the consensus is the 18s most likely won't fit. (Although I'm holding out hope that they actually still might) Probably not the most popular opinion, but I love the look of Midnight Silver with aero wheels, but I might not be able to actually have that :( First World Problems.

It is best to do a hard brake 60-15 and then floor it to 45 or so to get the most acceleration motion. + add a twist of the steering wheel if you want. we are auto crossing no?

..I'd get the P w/out the added performance package if I ordered today.
Better wheel, brake + suspension upgrades cost less than that package. you can you put 17"s on a 3 right?
Acceleration presses you against the seat. It's like Mom's loving hug.

Braking throws you towards the dash. It's like that time Mom got mad and pushed you down the stairs.

Last edited:
I ordered the performance 3 without the performance upgrade at first, then with and now finally decided to go without. Probably lost a month in line due to it but it works out in the long run. I wanted the upgrade for the upgraded brakes (calipers/rotors) but did not want the rest of the stick on accessories. I figured with $5k "saved" I can put that towards what I was going to get anyway: winter tire set, full car protection film and tint. If I decided I wanted a big brake kit, I can add that later on.

I felt like gambling $11k on getting my $7500 rebate lol , and 2) I prefer the white seats, and any Easter eggs Elon May drop on P models... coming from a Hellcat I Was desirous of similar performance without going sideways off the line.

Plain AWD looks safe for 2018 delivery.

How are you married guys hiding the $11K upgrade from the spouse? "Honey, I know it's $11K, but its really not after the tax credit"?

• Funny
Reactions: SageBrush

How are you married guys hiding the $11K upgrade from the spouse? "Honey, I know it's $11K, but its really not after the tax credit"?

As much as the thought may have crossed my mind, and while it may have been possible I could have initially, I decided that it wasn't worth hiding. I explained that I wanted the performance upgrades and the white interior, and let her chew on that for a few days (15 to be exact). I think she was mostly tired of debating it with me, and gave in. I mean, there were some concessions I had to make, and my "honey-do list" grew considerably, but as of now, it seemed to be a fair deal (I'm coming out ahead though).

• Love

For the 1 second improvement , and definite $3750 more than getting it in 2019(if tax credit was 1/2ed by January delivery )...it was worth it.

As far as My wife, she doesn’t bother looking at the car costs anymore lol- I think
She got Tired Of arguing on it years ago ...in a galaxy far far away

Why would I need to hide it? It's my money. Long as we each have our share of joint bills we can do whatever we want with the extra.

Today, I showed her a list of cars that are under 4 seconds 0-60....and she asked me where mine would be.

I told her ADVERTISED, tied for 5th, but if it's just .2 seconds faster, 3rd on the list I found.

She was excited to see it as fast, or faster, than Bentleys, Benzes, Trackhawks, Hellcats, Aston Martins, etc etc etc.

Can't wait.

Reactions: F_T_K and SageBrush
I'm just being funny. Or rather trying to be funny.

The P packages are a poor value and but I completely understand why some people will order the option. I was tempted. The white is particularly nice looking.

$11k for 1 second drop in 0-60 mph is pretty impressive from an OEM. BMW does .5 second drop for about $16k. Plus the assurance of the $7500 rebate makes it even better.

Reactions: SageBrush and Sg911
Today, I showed her a list of cars that are under 4 seconds 0-60....and she asked me where mine would be.

I told her ADVERTISED, tied for 5th, but if it's just .2 seconds faster, 3rd on the list I found.

She was excited to see it as fast, or faster, than Bentleys, Benzes, Trackhawks, Hellcats, Aston Martins, etc etc etc.

Can't wait.

I'd love it if my wife understood this. She has no care for fast cars. My son, BIL, and nephews on the other hand...

I think I was able to help her understand by letting her know that this effectively replaces my future desires for a GTR or 911 at a fraction of the cost, and in a much more environmentally friendly way (air quality-wise). So there's that.

I'd love it if my wife understood this. She has no care for fast cars. My son, BIL, and nephews on the other hand...

I think I was able to help her understand by letting her know that this effectively replaces my future desires for a GTR or 911 at a fraction of the cost, and in a much more environmentally friendly way (air quality-wise). So there's that.
Both of our fathers are muscle car era gear heads in their 60s, who both had "green" environmentally conscious career paths. Can't wait to blow their minds when I tell them it's faster than anything they ever had in their youth.

• Love
Reactions: F_T_K and SD_Engnr

Well, my plan was to "keep the receipts", so I didn't need to hide it. Electrek reporting Tesla opening up orders to all US and Canada reservations

I ultimately settled on the D. Of course she was still....taken aback when I later told here the order I chose was $59K, so "keep the receipts" paid off in the end anyway.

In retrospect it would have been epic to tell her she'd agreed to $70K. I have to live with that opportunity missed, I guess. :p

• Funny
I think the worst part of the "negotiations" and "debates" with my wife was that she has held on to the thought that this was supposed to be a "$35k car", and suddenly I'm springing for twice that amount. In fact, quite a few of my colleagues still ask me if I'm getting the $35k version, or the $50k version. To which I respond - yes. Yes, I am...

Reactions: electracity