Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rumor: P85D firmware update to increase 0-60 performance to 2.8s

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All intuitive guessing on my part:

I think slip based traction measurement used to be cruder in other vehicle designs. With electric motor you have ability to software control torque more accurately than mechanical. Edit: no, that might not be true. Anyway, perhaps the rest still applies: This allows you to effectively use wheel spin measurements that are not as gross and still measure relative traction. Think of turning radius fast vs slow in a regular car, or better tracking around curves at higher speeds by the trailers of tractor trailer combos: the wheels don't lose all traction, but do slide more. I'm sure this is electronically measurable.

Last edited:
Every electrical motor is essentially only bounded by heat removal i.e. how "fast" you are able to take away the heat generated in the coils and rotor.
One applies voltage which causes current that causes magnetic fields that cause torque.
More voltage, more current, stronger field, higher torque.
Every (normal) electrical conduit has some resistance that causes heating. Higher current, stronger heating.
When temperatures rises too high materials in the motor can break up. Insulation being the first on this list, lubricants in gearings the second. Somewhere on this list is also rotor integrity.

In the end, the whole system is limited by its brains - they must decide how much is too much for HW to take and keep taking years after year and still be alive to tell the tale. FW 'optimizations' come from many different things amongst which are also:
- they gather more knowledge about HW behavior and decide some parameter can be risen a notch without compromising some other thing too much
- they gather more knowledge about interaction of different parameters and find a combination of them that behave better

For every EV it holds
battery max power output > inverter max power output > motor max power output > EV max power output

Last edited:
I don't know that I agree with the last statement. It is true that the power be pulled from the battery will always be more than the power delivered at the wheels, but I think that any one of those components can set the maximum output the system is capable of.

Case in point, the S85. The same battery pack and motor deliver more power in the P85, but the inverter limits the overall system power.
Walter

I could have sworn only the rear was performance. If you look at the power calculations between the P85D and the 85D (which actually has two "front" motors) the main difference is the rear motor's "P" rating inverter pack.

The 85D has 188 hp motors front and rear. The P85D has a 221 hp motor front and a 470 hp motor rear.
I assume the difference between 188 and 221 is due to a performance inverter in the P85D.

Since JB stated that we'd get the torque sleep by today; I'll be watching my iphone for my software notification! :rolleyes:

I posted this question in another thread... I was told by the Toronto Service Centre that there is NOT a "torque sleep" update coming for the P85D's, only the launch speed increase update. I just looked at the Blog on the Tesla site and can no longer find where JB said this range increasing update was coming. Does anyone have recent information from Tesla?

I posted this question in another thread... I was told by the Toronto Service Centre that there is NOT a "torque sleep" update coming for the P85D's, only the launch speed increase update. I just looked at the Blog on the Tesla site and can no longer find where JB said this range increasing update was coming. Does anyone have recent information from Tesla?

Footnote 2 in the second table from Driving Range for the Model S Family | Tesla Motors says:

Using new torque sleep control software available end of January 2015.

The Toronto service center is misinformed.