Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rumored 130 kWh Model S in light of Roadster announcement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m really holding out for a new battery pack for the S but it seems highly unlikely given the steady supply of 18650 cells until the end of the year and Tesla’s focus on Model 3 battery production at the gigafactory
Same here. I got a 70D and it doesn't make sense to get 75. 90 is no longer and 100 is too expensive.

If this 130 is true, hopefully they can lower the 100 or drop 100 and do like 95.

Odd timing with the “factory shut down for retooling” for a couple weeks only on s and x line. The model 3 has same range as 100kw model s and charges quicker all while using a 30kw smaller pack. I’d say if they want the “latest and greatest” in x and s which they’ve claimed then they may already be behind.

My guess is we see updated motors and battery sooner than later.

Odd timing with the “factory shut down for retooling” for a couple weeks only on s and x line. The model 3 has same range as 100kw model s and charges quicker all while using a 30kw smaller pack. I’d say if they want the “latest and greatest” in x and s which they’ve claimed then they may already be behind.

My guess is we see updated motors and battery sooner than later.

When has the factory been shut down for S/X retooling? My impression was the recent 4 day shutdown in February was for the Model 3.

They have delivered very few s and x cars during this end of quarter push especially compared to normal, 70% of the cars showing up at the DC and SC in Orange County were model 3’s.

We will soon when we get end of 1/4 numbers but for sure retooling was going on.

And yes they figured out how to make model 3’s come out quicker:)

For the foreseeable future based on the facts a) it would require extensive redesign of the vehicles (also per the ER call) which they said they weren’t going to do as it didn’t make sense based on, b) Tesla is holding production of S and X to 100k total vehicles per year (also per the ER call).

Fact c) there isn’t a chance there will be excess 2170’s by the end of this year - every single one will be going into a 3 this year for sure.

So yeah, I’ll take the other side of your bet all day long.

• Informative
Reactions: JPUConn
For the foreseeable future based on the facts a) it would require extensive redesign of the vehicles (also per the ER call) which they said they weren’t going to do as it didn’t make sense based on, b) Tesla is holding production of S and X to 100k total vehicles per year (also per the ER call).

Fact c) there isn’t a chance there will be excess 2170’s by the end of this year - every single one will be going into a 3 this year for sure.

So yeah, I’ll take the other side of your bet all day long.

But how do you reconcile all that with the Tesla flagship being promised Tesla's latest/best technology. At the moment if you want Tesla's newest battery technology, you have to buy a M3.

But how do you reconcile all that with the Tesla flagship being promised Tesla's latest/best technology. At the moment if you want Tesla's newest battery technology, you have to buy a M3.

The battery format is irrelevant to 95% of buyers.

It’s actually irrelevant to 100% of buyers, but 5% twist themselves into mental knots because something out there might be bigger/newer/denser than what they have.

I can’t imagine how cell size has anything to do with a product being a “flagship” or not.

I don’t reconcile it and yes that is correct.

I have taken Tesla at face value, assuming that what they said most recently (last ER) is the most up to date data and plans. They were clear in that ER about which batteries were going in what cars and why. They may change their minds at a later date (perhaps when they can actually make enough batteries for 3 demand - which we know they can’t until beyond 10k/wk cars) but until something contrary comes out of JB’s or Elon’s mouth, it’s 100k S and X per year with smaller battery cells. That doesn’t mean they can’t or won’t change the *chemistry*, but that’s got nothing to do with battery cell size.

Some could care less about the battery pack size, ultimately it’s the range they seek. I hope MS & MX join the M3 in simply marketing for example Standard (220 mile range) and Long Range (310 mile range) option. Battery density, motor tech, weight, etc all put together determin the range. So the battery capacity is just one ingredient, albeit considerable, of the mix. Range is king, think I’ve read that before

Range was king when we did not have it. Once we went over 300 MI, range matters less and less. 70 -75 MPH for 4 hours is pretty much time for a break and we can get another 300 Mi in the time it takes us to eat and stretch. Much over 300 is not all that valuable to most people.