TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

[Rumors] Spoke to an Insider Yesterday...

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by MrJones390, Feb 28, 2016.

1. MrJones390

MrJones390 Space Boat

And he said the following:

-Model 3 looks very similar to Model S, just smaller and without luxury features like leather seats
    -Cost saving is due to Gigafactory, smaller battery and economy features
    -Possible release of smaller, stripped down Model X at same time (not sure if name is Model Y)

We'll see if this is true next month!

2. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Note that the Base S does not have leather seats. They are an option.
    I am sure they will also be an option for the 3. How "similar" the 3 will look compared to the S is of course a subjective judgement. I for one will bet that the 3 front end will look very different. Rear may well be similar, and side profile will likely be similar except for a higher rear deck to give the second row passengers more headroom. That is necessary because of the shorter wheelbase and the fact that the motor/inverter is just behind the rear seats.

• Like x 1
  3. Bimbels

Bimbels GoldMember

Hmm. When the media speculated there would be 2 reveals that was immediately shot down by Tesla. They reiterated only 1 car would be revealed.

Cost savings statements aren't exactly rumor- they were addressed by Elon on the earnings report call.

I would be very happy with a smaller MS (with X nose) but we'll see...

4. Brad_NC

Brad_NC Member

I would love it if the Model ≡ and Model Y were released at the same time. Though I don't think it would be in Tesla's best interest to do so. Also, yes, Tesla has said that the releases would separate (but, maybe they are just gearing up for a big surprise for us?).

Leather Seats not being an option is ridiculous. But I don't think that any of us expect them to be standard.

Hard to guess the appearance, I won't even speculate the overall appearance, because the options are too vast.

Model S and Model X both look very nice IMO. I'd be very happy with a "small" version of either one of them. Though, I believe that we'll see a mix of their styling, with something fresh added in.

It will be great to see what really happens!

5. MiamiNole

MiamiNole Member

I'd be extremely happy with a smaller Model S, although I'd definitely be disappointed if leather were not even an option. Can't see how they'd consider themselves a 3 series competitor if they are that bare bones.

6. GoTslaGo

GoTslaGo Learning Member

Leather is no longer an option on the S. Base textile seats and Next Gen seats only. Not sure of the material for Next Gen seats.

7. tga

tga Active Member

Next Gen is leather, leather is Next Gen...

8. rnelsonee

rnelsonee Member

Next Gen seats are leather

Next Gen seats are leather, so leather is an option, but it's just not called that :)

9. GoTslaGo

GoTslaGo Learning Member

Good to know! I recalled there was some Vegan uprising that Elon succumbed to. Thought it was ALL the seats!

10. ratsbew

ratsbew Member

The model S is a beautiful car (it's my dream car after all), but I'm hoping for something a bit different. Who knows if this is good intel or not.

11. 1208

1208 Active Member

Never thought leather to be luxury. All my friends in council houses (state owned) had them when I was growing up. With the problems of creases, sweat etc always thought it was lame and prefer cloth.

Good to hear about the Y and 3 at same time. If true.

12. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

We discussed this at length on the forums in the past. The preoccupation with leather for seats seams to be a somewhat USA centric thing.
    If you get a high end luxury car here (like BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, etc.) they tend to all have leather, and cloth is only for their entry level vehicles.

I think some Americans are surprised when they travel to Europe and find cloth seats in a high end vehicle.

I once custom ordered a Lexus with cloth seats normally only available in Japan on that trim level. The dealer tried hard to talk me out of it saying it would kill the resale value...

• Like x 1
  13. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

I'm with ratsbew. Hoping for something a bit different, but then since Model3 is all about driving down costs and Tesla knows every issue with making the S then this makes sense.

Hope they can keep the same size battery pack and passenger cell and just shrink the frunk.

14. Brad_NC

Brad_NC Member

I would love to see a super sporty version offered with neoprene or something similar, instead of leather.

15. Fallenone

Fallenone Active Member

I still don't believe there will be a different car unveiled. But for the other two points, I thought those are most people expecting already?

16. chance1117

chance1117 Member

I would love a smaller Model X simply for more headroom. I'm not a SVU fan but Tesla's style and all electronic eliminates a lot of the issue I have with them. I don't know how I'm going to wait another month!

17. Lex

Lex Member

Hmm... a leak designed to spur discussion maybe... towards the all-vegan interior concept ?

I don't splurge for premium manufacturer seats (though I've considered aftermarket) but I am absolutely sure some sort of "Premium" seat will be offered in the Model 3.

As for the general love of leather I bet more than anything it is the smell of leather which lasts much longer than the "new car smell" giving the sign of wealth in the Cadlillac / New Yorker (with ahem Corinthian Leather) set :cool:

18. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

I've never liked leather myself. Not a vegan. Had a couple of hotdogs for lunch. I just don't like the feel of it.

19. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

Personally I don't care, but I think not even having it as an option would kill a lot of sales in the US.

20. Krugerrand

Krugerrand Active Member

You don't actually think there was any real meat in those hotdogs, do you? :tongue: