Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Russia/Ukraine conflict

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bizarre saga continues. Apparently this guy's now in the Russian navy up in the Arctic Circle.

Bizarre saga continues. Apparently this guy's now in the Russian navy up in the Arctic Circle.

At least they aren't putting him on the front lines. They might not want to risk his potential future earnings and tax revenue. NHL draft starts tomorrow and Russian players are not expected to get much interest.

Nope, it failed on my iPad half a dozen times, so I switched to my laptop.
Same here. I downloaded the new iOS app and that works, but tbh I like web view better. Maybe it will grow on me over time. Am thinking it’s probably not coincidence that we are having issues with web page renderings now that the iOS clients are available. Not knowledgeable enough to understand the technical reason for the issue.

An unbelievable discrepancy….how long can RU keep it up (partivularly with arms Depots
being destroyed):

Looks like Russia has no shortage of artillery shells. I have read about the rifling in the barrels of their artillery probably wearing out, which will reduce accuracy, but I guess they are making up for it in volume.

• Informative
Reactions: SwedishAdvocate
For those who think sanctions are not affecting Russia

Russia launches total budget cuts. The government of the Russian Federation will “put under the knife” spending on science, industry and roads.

As writes moscowtimes.eu, in the next three years, the Ministry of Finance proposes to reduce the costs of the federal treasury by 1.6 trillion rubles. In particular:

the infrastructure construction plan is reduced by 390 billion,
the industrial development program will be cut by 200 billion,
150 billion will be saved on science,
agriculture will be deprived of 25 billion from the budget,
they will spend less on space by 21.4 billion,
15.8 billion will be saved to the state program for the development of the occupied Crimea,
11.5 billion will lose state programs for the development of an innovative economy.

Anther Oligarch suicide in 'the land' of Putler. Or was it?...

.../ Preliminary information suggested the gun was fired at point-blank range /...

reminds me of a recent show I saw, Moscow Noir. A bunch of powerful oligarchs met their demise along the way (I won't give away The Who/why)......

There is something political with this. Historically white Russians are able to get out of the draft quite easily. Sometimes they pay a bribe and that's it.

Looks like Russia has no shortage of artillery shells. I have read about the rifling in the barrels of their artillery probably wearing out, which will reduce accuracy, but I guess they are making up for it in volume.

I think they are running low now. They have been firing, on average 70,000 shells and rockets a day since the war started. That's vastly more than the entire world's production capacity by a large margin. They might be able to make 70,000 a month, but I doubt they even have that capacity.

A few weeks ago they completely stripped Belerus of all its artillery ammunition and they have been buying up all the artillery ammunition they can find in other countries. The dud rate for Russian artillery is around 30% and the Ukrainians have analyzed a lot of the duds. Many were made in the Soviet Union. There have also been stories of rockets and artillery shells falling short because the fuel or propellant is too old. I saw one video of a Grad where the rockets only flew a few hundred feet.

The Ukrainians have also found things like propaganda leaflet rounds with leaflets for the Chechen war.

On top of all these problems finding ammunition, the Ukrainians are blowing it up at their depots. They will probably try to set up new depots near the front, but when those get blown up too (Ukrainian recon of the rear areas is excellent and they knew where all the existing depots were when they got the HIMARS). Then the Russians will have to move their depots back beyond HIMARS range which will make the delivery trucks go much further to deliver their cargo. Instead of 3-4 round trips a day, the trucks will be making 1 trip every 2 days. And once Russian jamming and AA is reduced, the Ukrainians will be hunting individual supply trucks with their artillery guided by drones.

The Russian supply truck quantity was small before the war. They failed in the north because they got too far from the rail lines and didn't have enough trucks. They refocused on Donbas in large part because the rail network there is very dense and they could run the trains very close to the artillery batteries. But if all their supplies get blown up shortly after being dropped by a train, they are back to trucks running long distances.

The roads are now littered with debris which is bad for tires. Their surviving military trucks have been in constant use for 4 months now and are wearing out (combat increases wear on trucks 10-20X normal). They have pressed civilian trucks into use, but those are wearing out too. They are going to face a tire shortage soon with all the extra Km on the trucks over roads covered in debris. The Ukrainians will probably be helping that along dumping more debris on the roads when they don't have good targets to shoot at. The Ukrainians can also take out bridges to slow things down further.

Seems to me that Ukraine needs a lot more heavy artillery...

Russian artillery is very inaccurate. i watched a video of a Russian rocket barrage from a drone. The rockets were scattered all over a hillside. Out of ~100 rockets, only a couple got near the vehicle they were aiming for. NATO artillery gets within 5 m of the target 90% of the time. They don't need that many shells and rockets to be even more effective than the Russian artillery.

Yeah. And whatever genius thought the 4 HIMARS was a good idea . . . idiot needs to move the decimal. 40, minimum, for starters.

HIMARS are a logistical nightmare. They are the most supply intensive weapons systems in the US inventory. Sending a lot of launchers before a safe supply chain for the rockets was set up would have meant a bunch of idle HIMARS.

The Ukrainians have set up a system for the HIMARS that is like a drug operation. They have drop off spots designated. The truck drops off HIMAR pods without the HIMARS around, then goes back to the depot. Then the HIMARS comes in and picks up what it needs. Only a few pods are left in any spot and no spot is used more than once.

The Ukrainians are keeping the Russians guessing wildly about where the HIMARS are.

It's basically the mafia, Russian style.

Medvedev sounds desperate,
Also, "The crowdfunded Turkish-made military drone will be sent to Ukraine to help the war-torn country fight Russia's invasion. (AFP photo)"

He's already signed and was expected in Philly last week!
Yep he's 25 yrs old and played a few years in the Russian league and Olympics. It's the new elite Russian prospects available for today's draft that will likely fall down on the draft interest order.

There are other well known NHL players currently in Russia like Minnesota Wild's Kaprizov. We'll see how things play out for them.

• Informative
Reactions: navguy12
There are no backsies, Russia.

So it was sold to the US in 1867. How do they justify even saying things like this? (saber rattling aside) And if they can actually somehow justify saying this and mean it, what does that mean for Ukraine and any other land that was at one time part of their empire? This would somehow justify them to want whatever part of Siberia they were fighting over in....wait for it...1689. Thank goodness they signed a border agreement to settle that!

It just sounds weird to even be talking about this, but here we are.

So it was sold to the US in 1867. How do they justify even saying things like this? (saber rattling aside) And if they can actually somehow justify saying this and mean it, what does that mean for Ukraine and any other land that was at one time part of their empire? This would somehow justify them to want whatever part of Siberia they were fighting over in....wait for it...1689. Thank goodness they signed a border agreement to settle that!

It just sounds weird to even be talking about this, but here we are.

Typical Russian bluster. They know touching Alaska would mean nuclear Armageddon. They just want to distract from their difficulties in Ukraine, which makes them look weak.

You may have notice that Johnson-the-liar has been forced to resign as leader of the Conservative Party in the UK.

It is fairly likely that the adults will not allow him to remain in office as Prime Minister very much longer, though he is trying to cling on even now.

My personal opinion is that this will not diminish UK support for Ukraine, indeed it may lead to an increase in the level of support. Lest anyone forget Johnson is utterly beholden to Russian money and efforts in so many ways, including funding Brexit

despite the Conservatives and Johnson and their backers doing their best to sweep it under the carpet

this was even confirmed in a High Court judgement

(I really suggest people read that judgement. As a minimum try a search on "at least" and you will get a flavour.)

So it is likely that the various contenders to replace Johnson as leaders of the Cons will all be attempting to burnish their pro-Ukraine and anti-Russian credentials ardently.

However I think it is too early to think it might result in better relations with the EU. Much more cleansing of the UK is required for that.

But in respect of Ukraine, there should not be any cause for concern.

Last edited:
You may have notice that Johnson-the-liar has been forced to resign as leader of the Conservative Party in the UK.

It is fairly likely that the adults will not allow him to remain in office as Prime Minister very much longer, though he is trying to cling on even now.

My personal opinion is that this will not diminish UK support for Ukraine, indeed it may lead to an increase in the level of support. Lest anyone forget Johnson is utterly beholden to Russian money and efforts in so many ways, including funding Brexit

despite the Conservatives and Johnson and their backers doing their best to sweep it under the carpet

this was even confirmed in a High Court judgement

(I really suggest people read that judgement. As a minimum try a search on "at least" and you will get a flavour.)

So it is likely that the various contenders to replace Johnson as leaders of the Cons will all be attempting to burnish their pro-Ukraine and anti-Russian credentials ardently.

However I think it is too early to think it might result in better relations with the EU. Much more cleansing of the UK is required for that.

But in respect of Ukraine, there should not be any cause for concern.
I realize this isn't a UK thread, but can someone sum up the actual factual reasons why Boris seemingly was forced to resign? I find this fascinating and hope it doesn't somehow spill into other EU leaders causing instability...