Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Russia/Ukraine conflict

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
An hour long interview with Lt Gen Ben Hodges in which he debunks the stalemate narrative:

I saw the various posts about Zaluzhny saying the war was becoming a stalemate. I don't really see it, but Zaluzhny knows more about the situation than I do. However the thought did occur to me that the Ukrainians have done things to fake out the Russians before.

Russia has tried to go on the offensive in the last couple of weeks and taken huge losses. This just weakens their entire force.

The Ukrainians would rather bleed out the Russians as much as possible in a way that keeps their own losses down and playing defense while the Russians throw bodies at a brick wall is one good way to do that. The thought occurred to me that the talk of a stalemate might be more aimed at a Psy op vs the Russians. Make the Russians think the Ukrainians are getting weak and encourage them to conduct more pointless human wave attacks to weaken their army.

Then when the Russians have exhausted themselves and have run low on everything, the Ukrainians can go back on the offensive and gain some real ground.

Now should be a good time to start a Drone manufacturing startup in Ukraine.

There are quite a few drone manufacturers in Ukraine now.

This war is demonstrating that small drones are a strategic resource that any country with a serious military should be making themselves. ie there should be growth of domestically produced small drones in both Europe and the US.

This article is two days old...

Two Moldovan nationals were arrested in Paris last Friday after admitting they painted Stars of David on a wall on the orders of an unidentified individual, the Paris prosecutor’s office told POLITICO Wednesday.

“An individual in Russia” directed the 33-year-old man and 29-year-old woman to carry out the act in Paris’ 10th arrondissement, according to French radio station Europe 1.

The two, who have not been identified publicly, were arrested over “property damage” connected to “origin, race, ethnicity or religion,” after a local resident saw them “daubing a blue star” on a wall, which was erased the same day, the Paris prosecutor’s office said. [...

I do consider WW II the modern era. Warfare changed dramatically as wind, human, and animal energy sources were replaced with fossil fuels. It didn't happen all at once. First steam replaced wind to power ships, then the internal combustion engine started to revolutionize land warfare and move war into the air. Though horses were still used for transport in WW II. By the end of the war the Germans had almost completely replaced trucks with horse drawn transport due to fuel shortages.

The cold war was not really a war in the way it impacted an economy. Both sides were preparing for war for 40 years, but they hadn't been at war and consuming war material in the ways that happen in a shooting war.

Germany and Japan's economies were trashed by 1945, but the people were supporting the war for the most part right to the end. Especially in Japan. If forced to opine about the war, the Russians will say they are all in, but in reality public support for the war is very tepid. Getting the economy all marching in the same direction as a war economy isn't going very well. Motivating people to go all in on a war also requires them to become politically motivated and Putin has spent the last 25 years making the Russian people politically apathetic.
Good information, as usual, but somewhat missing the arguments I was making.
Perhaps I misconflated🤣🤣🤣 the “Cold War” with the US-USSR Arms Race. The argument is that not only could the Soviets eventually not even keep up, but their attempts to do so effectively bankrupted the country and brought about its end.
WWII: i was referring to the War in Europe, not, of course, to what remained in the Pacific, which directly affected my future self, as my father many times told us he was set to be in the vanguard of the frontal assault on mainland (in his case, Kyushu) Japan.

I saw the various posts about Zaluzhny saying the war was becoming a stalemate. I don't really see it, but Zaluzhny knows more about the situation than I do. However the thought did occur to me that the Ukrainians have done things to fake out the Russians before.

Russia has tried to go on the offensive in the last couple of weeks and taken huge losses. This just weakens their entire force.

The Ukrainians would rather bleed out the Russians as much as possible in a way that keeps their own losses down and playing defense while the Russians throw bodies at a brick wall is one good way to do that. The thought occurred to me that the talk of a stalemate might be more aimed at a Psy op vs the Russians. Make the Russians think the Ukrainians are getting weak and encourage them to conduct more pointless human wave attacks to weaken their army.

Then when the Russians have exhausted themselves and have run low on everything, the Ukrainians can go back on the offensive and gain some real ground.

There are quite a few drone manufacturers in Ukraine now.

This war is demonstrating that small drones are a strategic resource that any country with a serious military should be making themselves. ie there should be growth of domestically produced small drones in both Europe and the US.
They clearly are continuing to bleed out Ru forces but….

a “stalemate” mantra works against Ukr politically for re-supply by the West. It also gives the West’s concessionists fuel to pressure Ukr for negotiated peace.

Perhaps I misconflated🤣🤣🤣 the “Cold War” with the US-USSR Arms Race. The argument is that not only could the Soviets eventually not even keep up, but their attempts to do so effectively bankrupted the country and brought about its end.
WWII: i was referring to the War in Europe, not, of course, to what remained in the Pacific, which directly affected my future self, as my father many times told us he was set to be in the vanguard of the frontal assault on mainland (in his case, Kyushu) Japan.
And we are still using the Purple Hearts that were minted in anticipation of an invasion of Japan.

In dictatorships everything looks strong until suddenly they aren't. Things could fall apart for Russia very quickly, but we have no idea when that may happen. It could happen like the dissolution of the entire Soviet empire. Everything looked like it was going to be a gradual loosening of the grip fom Moscow and then suddenly almost overnight, the entire empire was gone.
I have started to wonder if we are in "max facade" phase now for the Russian 'state'. "Look! Our economy is fine (at 15% interest,ruble still falling, etc.) We have many allies (getting poor shells albeit in quantity from NK, quickly mortgaging our future to China!) The West is losing focus!" (somewhat true but somewhat overstated. More aid will continue to flow, yes, even from the US IM(firm)O).
Did Russia lean on Iran to lean on Hamas to create the ultimate distraction, another war, right now because it is Russia’s last desperate ploy?
I don't pretend to know if the above is how things went down, but it is in shared interests of those parties that it would.
I do feel that if we hold firm, throw out the clown show in the US House in 2024, insist that Poland honor it's encouraging recent election, and continue to let weary Ukraine fight with our arms, the dictators facade (they are ALWAYS more sizzle than steak [pardon the Texanism]) will crumble, we will stride into a far better, more democratic, less fossilized future.
One point in favor of this argument: when the recent General Zaluzhny 'stalemate' statements were presented to the Kremlin, I thought they would crow. Instead, Peskov tersely denied there was any stalemate. They cannot even admit to a lack of progress without grave risk.
It is always darkest just before dawn. HODL in every sense now. For our future.
--Growler out

There is an interview by a Swedish military instructor in Ukraine. It's 40min long in Swedish and talks about the situation in Ukraine. Basically he confirms the Time Magazine story with losses, low moral, corruption etc.

I listened to that one. So as I understood it, he was in some capacity an infantry soldier in the Swedish amphibious forces for X amount of time. Maybe that translates to Marine infantry or Marine recon in a US context. When the war started he was working as some kind of substitute teacher in one or more Swedish elementary schools(?). Or maybe he wen't to UKR some time between 2014-2022 – I guess I'm not really sure exactly when he went to UKR. And he's not 'just' been instructing in UKR. He's also done medivac, some other kind of evac that I don't remember the term for, and some kind of recon. He's also been in one of the Russian Dictator's artillery barrages which was obviously not a pleasant experience...

As I understood him, his view is that the corruption stems from 'higher-ups' in the UKR Armed Forces. And here's the rub as I wrote in some previous post:... At no point does he talk about anyone in the UKR Armed Forces – incl. himself – trying to do something about it (until that interview that is, but more on that below). So – no-one in the UKR Armed Forces are reporting these allegedly corrupt higher-ups in UKR Armed Forces(!)... So why is that?!?... There is clearly both UKR and international press that is just dying to get their hands on stuff like this...

But yes – by speaking out in this Swedish podcast he is (finally) doing something about it...

I'm guessing the info he's given in that podcast is going to reach Swedish policymakers at least... But then again, it could also be me being overly optimistic regarding the reach of that podcast...

EDIT: He's been with, and will continue to serve with the Azov Battalion in some capacity.

Last edited:
President Zelenskyy disputed the "stalemate" from the Chief of the General Staff of the Armed Forces of Ukraine Valeriy Zaluzhnyi.

“How do we overcome this? F-16s are on the way; we need to wait for our guys to learn how to use them when they return. When we have air defense systems in place, our soldiers can move forward and utilize military equipment.”"

Zelenskyy responds to Zaluzhnyi’s article: No stalemate situation

Last edited:
Apparently, the war effort continues to improve for Russia. Many months ago they increased conscription ages. More recently noted in this thread, there is a renewed drive to dispatch the prison population. Now Russia is directly recruiting women (including female prisoners):

Russia boosts efforts to recruit female fighters – DW – 11/04/2023

Apparently, the war effort continues to improve for Russia. Many months ago they increased conscription ages. More recently noted in this thread, there is a renewed drive to dispatch the prison population. Now Russia is directly recruiting women (including female prisoners):

I wonder if the prison "volunteers" families get the sack of potatoes. If not that could be a major savings for the Kremlin budget. That would definitely help their economy.

I have started to wonder if we are in "max facade" phase now for the Russian 'state'. "Look! Our economy is fine (at 15% interest,ruble still falling, etc.) We have many allies (getting poor shells albeit in quantity from NK, quickly mortgaging our future to China!) The West is losing focus!" (somewhat true but somewhat overstated. More aid will continue to flow, yes, even from the US IM(firm)O).
Did Russia lean on Iran to lean on Hamas to create the ultimate distraction, another war, right now because it is Russia’s last desperate ploy?
I don't pretend to know if the above is how things went down, but it is in shared interests of those parties that it would.
I do feel that if we hold firm, throw out the clown show in the US House in 2024, insist that Poland honor it's encouraging recent election, and continue to let weary Ukraine fight with our arms, the dictators facade (they are ALWAYS more sizzle than steak [pardon the Texanism]) will crumble, we will stride into a far better, more democratic, less fossilized future.
One point in favor of this argument: when the recent General Zaluzhny 'stalemate' statements were presented to the Kremlin, I thought they would crow. Instead, Peskov tersely denied there was any stalemate. They cannot even admit to a lack of progress without grave risk.
--Growler out
I wonder if it is the other way. I can't believe the west can't ramp up millions of simple artillery shells after a couple of years. If we got into an attritional war with China it seems pretty reasonable to expect that they could easily out produce the west in most areas. Our only hope would be to choke off their resources.

The US narrative is that Reagan outspent the USSR and ran them into the ground, but I have seen other sources, including ex-Soviet ones that the entire system was becoming unsteady even before Reagan came along. The increase in defense spending on the US side didn't help and may have sped up the demise, but the USSR was headed for a fall anyway.

Japan was a more unified country to the end, but Germany held together and people kept contributing to the war effort right to the end. Germany was doing some pretty creative things to keep manufacturing war goods. They had factories set up in old mines and tunnels.

They clearly are continuing to bleed out Ru forces but….

a “stalemate” mantra works against Ukr politically for re-supply by the West. It also gives the West’s concessionists fuel to pressure Ukr for negotiated peace.

It might, but if Ukraine plans to drain Russia dry encouraging them to go on the offense, then take advantage of their thin lines when their forces are thinned out and take a fair bit of ground in a short time, they may think it's worth the risk. They probably also informed the top tiers of the governments in the west what their strategy is.

If it fails it could result in the people of western countries demanding that Ukraine cut its losses.

And we are still using the Purple Hearts that were minted in anticipation of an invasion of Japan.

Yes the US is. My father always figured the nuclear weapons saved his life. He was on a second combat deployment to Attu when the war ended. He would have been flying during the invasion of Japan and he figured his number was going to come up.

--Growler out

Putin has been desperately looking for a way out of this for over a year. He tried sabre rattling threatening NATO with "your next", but that didn't work to make the west hold back on arms deliveries. He's probably very happy with the leadership in the US House right now. Encouraging another war that the US has to pay attention to is also in the playbook.

Russia's recent attempts at offensives has been a very dumb move strategically. Even if they have secretly been growing the army, they don't have the capability to train them and human wave attacks are the only tactic they can employ that gets any success. Their attempted assaults have gained some ground, but they lost most of the vehicles dedicated to the assault. Long term that leaves them in a worse place.

I was wondering if Russia was going to start recruiting women. They were one of the few armies to put women in combat roles in WW II, but they have avoided women in the military since the USSR broke up.

Considering how misogynistic Russia is any women they recruit into combat roles are going to have a hard time with their own troops.

I wonder if it is the other way. I can't believe the west can't ramp up millions of simple artillery shells after a couple of years. If we got into an attritional war with China it seems pretty reasonable to expect that they could easily out produce the west in most areas. Our only hope would be to choke off their resources.

The west is ramping up production. The news has been filled with a lot of information about US production, and it is ramping up, but so is European and Australian production.

China has a lot of production capacity, but the country is reliant on overseas trade for a lot of its resources. In a war with the west, their ocean going supply lines will be cut almost immediately. They will become very dependent on resources from Russia. And Russia has a lot of the resources they need, but not all of them. An additional problem is there is no easy overland route to get oil from Russia to China.

That’s one take. Here’s another. Note that in the full article, he lays out a plan to WIN the war.

I'm skeptical achieving air superiority is achievable without NATO actively involved. In the last 4-5 months Ukraine has become very effective at counter battery from the number of Russian artillery pieces taken out.

Ukraine destroyed at least three Russian S-400 defense systems, worth $1.5B in last 10 days according to British intelligence. Putting those ATACMS to good use. Taking those defense systems out in Crimea and Eastern Ukraine will be key in the effort to gain air superiority.

The alternative to more equipment is better equipment and smarter tactics..

Ukraine occasionally make dumb mistakes, in a war the opponent can make you pay for any mistakes, but overall Russia is more wasteful of resources including human resources.

Ukraine has artillery which out ranges Russia and is more accurate they have destroy a lot of Russian artillery..

IMO what Ukraine needs now is equipment to shoot down Russian drones, it doesn't need to be massive amounts of equipment, just very effective equipment.

"Done level air superiority" ,might play a big role in the war,, if Ukraine can hunt and destroy Russian drones that opens up more opportunities attack and ambush.

Something like this weapon:-

Also a drone with (AI vision based?) ability to hunt and destroy other drones, probably by colliding with them.

The alternative to more equipment is better equipment and smarter tactics..

Ukraine occasionally make dumb mistakes, in a war the opponent can make you pay for any mistakes, but overall Russia is more wasteful of resources including human resources.

Ukraine has artillery which out ranges Russia and is more accurate they have destroy a lot of Russian artillery..

IMO what Ukraine needs now is equipment to shoot down Russian drones, it doesn't need to be massive amounts of equipment, just very effective equipment.

"Done level air superiority" ,might play a big role in the war,, if Ukraine can hunt and destroy Russian drones that opens up more opportunities attack and ambush.

Something like this weapon:-

Also a drone with (AI vision based?) ability to hunt and destroy other drones, probably by colliding with them.

Cost effective drone killed tech is still evolving. Systems exist, but they are not available in enough numbers. The Gepard has proven to be one of the most effective anti-drone systems, but while 570 were built, I think a lot of them have been scrapped. The last one was built in 1980.

Germany has been able to cobble together about 90 for Ukraine. 52 have been delivered with another 45 in the pipeline to be delivered soon.

According to Wikipedia the operators at the beginning of the war in Ukraine were:
Brazil - 36
Jordan - 60
Qatar - 15
Romania - 36 active, 7 spare

The US purchased 30 of the Jordanian Gepards to send to Ukraine and the Germans bought back the 15 Qatari Gepards. There may be some in storage somewhere, but if Germany and the US are buying up Gepards around the world, there probably aren't many in storage or the ones in storage are in poor condition.

There are new systems under development to combat drones, but they aren't in production and even rushing to get something into production is going to take at least another year.