Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Russia/Ukraine conflict

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't need time, and I don't need an escape plan. I don't need to hide my resources anywhere, no one claims them. I don't feel any danger towards myself.

You probably think that people in military uniforms walk through our streets and take everyone into the army? That's not so.
no, not really,
I'm suggesting you may want to do a "just in case" "go bag" set up a few surreptitious communication channels with special people "just in case" you come into the unblinking gaze of folks
get some information from outside sources.
I love the videos of the ruussian tanks "popping their turrets" as they explode
seen any?

I made the mistake back in the early 1960's of dating the daughter of a member of the draft board and had to fail my draft physical twice to not get sent to Vietnam, you seem to be luckier, so far, luck runs out.

any questionable friends?
any acquaintance's who do "odd things?"
paranoia level too low?
are you absolutely sure?

during the Vietnam war, when I came of age, (around late 1950's to mid 1970's) when over 500,000 of my compatriots died for the hubris of the leaders, (Lyndon Baines Johnson, president of the US, literally laid his dick (penis) on a table and said his was bigger than Ho Chi Minh's) 8,000+ miles away, and 1,000,000's of Vietnamese, Laotians, Cambodians and others died, maimed, poisoned, for _nothing_

things were great for the rest of us back in the states, economy great, vacations taken etc.

it is also possible to lie to yourself, until they come for _you_ with a gun and perhaps a uniform
How many of your age compatriots are no longer around? just ?missing?
Not disagreeing, but the official US tally of American military losses in Vietnam is 58,220. Even in WWII less than 500,000 US military were listed as having died.

For at least 90%, yes.
I think things are not going well in some border areas. But for example, the last weekend (national holidays April 27 - May 1) I was in the Crimea, I did not notice that life in this place is different from mine.
Here is some information from late 2022 regarding regions generating "volunteer" units to fight in Ukraine. I've put a yellow dot where I think Ivanovo is, but feel free to correct me if I'm a long way out. Do you disagree with this assessment? Is it perhaps that by living where you do you're insulated from what's actually going on in other parts of Russia and assume (or are being told) life is as good as Ivanovo and the Moscow area?

It's also interesting you call Crimea "the Crimea", but I'll leave that for the moment.

Untitled-1.jpg

From what I understand, most Russians live a non-prosperous life. Oil fields and farm lands are sparcely populated, and living condtions relatively poor.

Only the people living in Moscow and members of the Communist party are the entitled ones.

Few Moscovites are drafted into service. Putin does not want to see truckloads of body bags coming into the city.

Party leaders, military elite and Putin;s friends live a pretty lavish life, but for others it is a struggle, and not something to embrace.

Most of the luxuries are only available in Moscow. The Capital city is far different than the typical rest of Russia.

The first cars have already arrived. Customs clearance is underway now.
That is quite surprising!!! As best I can tell, that would mean that Tesla is breaking US sanctions law right now!
As an investor in Tesla, I am quite concerned that they would be breaking the post-invasion sanction against operating in the Russian transportation sector.
Can you send some concrete evidence? This _has_ to be raised at the upcoming shareholder meeting.

From what I understand, most Russians live a non-prosperous life. Oil fields and farm lands are sparcely populated, and living condtions relatively poor.

Only the people living in Moscow and members of the Communist party are the entitled ones.

Few Moscovites are drafted into service. Putin does not want to see truckloads of body bags coming into the city.

Party leaders, military elite and Putin;s friends live a pretty lavish life, but for others it is a struggle, and not something to embrace.

Most of the luxuries are only available in Moscow. The Capital city is far different than the typical rest of Russia.
The Communist Party ????

That is quite surprising!!! As best I can tell, that would mean that Tesla is breaking US sanctions law right now!
As an investor in Tesla, I am quite concerned that they would be breaking the post-invasion sanction against operating in the Russian transportation sector.
Can you send some concrete evidence? This _has_ to be raised at the upcoming shareholder meeting.
They don't come in direct, like the rest of the sanction-busting imports they are brought in via Armenia, Kazakhstan, China, UAE or whereever they can.

It's also interesting you call Crimea "the Crimea", but I'll leave that for the moment.
I use Yandex Translator, I apologize if it makes mistakes.
but feel free to correct me if I'm a long way out
I painted the desired area in blue

IMG_4551.jpeg

In general, volunteer groups are formed in almost all regions. I have a friend who became a volunteer about a year ago.

• Informative
Reactions: cjkosh
I use Yandex Translator, I apologize if it makes mistakes.

I painted the desired area in blue

View attachment 1045376

In general, volunteer groups are formed in almost all regions. I have a friend who became a volunteer about a year ago.

He volunteered to loot, murder and destroy in another country? I think your friend might not be a good person.

Not disagreeing, but the official US tally of American military losses in Vietnam is 58,220. Even in WWII less than 500,000 US military were listed as having died.
you are somewhat correct. I mis-remembered, however adding to the tally, the Vietnamese, Cambodians, Laotians, Burmese/Myanmar, many our age compatriots, etc.
Were they not our compatriots?
58,000+ Americans, PLUS, a few _1,000,000's_ other innocents
(have a photo or 2 of Burmese Ambassador's folks who came to our farm to practice with heavy weapons and then returned to be liquidated

They don't come in direct, like the rest of the sanction-busting imports they are brought in via Armenia, Kazakhstan, China, UAE or whereever they can.
But do they for this product? Cybertruck is so very new. Who bought a high visibility Cybertruck to ship to Russia already? Wouldn't they be asking for trouble, with something that unmistakable? Exactly how many Armenian names are on the Foundation Series reservation list?
Sorry, this isn't particularly credible to me at this point. And for the record my disbelief isn't targeted at you, @Dangerous Fish .

@AlekseiNovikov what are your thoughts on Russian GDP/capita being in the same ballpark as Mexico and China? Why is the large part of Europe that is relatively untouched by Russia doing so much better than Russia?
I do not have sufficient knowledge in the field of economics, so I cannot comment on this. According to my data, this is at the level of Greece/Turkey.

What do you mean by luxury goods?

I don't see any point in proving anything to you. Tesla does not sell cars directly, so it does not violate anything.

@AlekseiNovikov what are your thoughts on Russian GDP/capita being in the same ballpark as Mexico and China? Why is the large part of Europe that is relatively untouched by Russia doing so much better than Russia?
I do not have sufficient knowledge in the field of economics, so I cannot comment on this. According to my data, this is at the level of Greece/Turkey.
One doesn't need any formal or high level economics training. Greece is on the poorer end of Europe, but Russians are considerably poorer still. Turkey, yes Russia is in that poverty ballpark. Given Russia has leadership that has not developed their people as instead masters kleptocracy, what are your thoughts?

A small percent of the Russian population can afford a Tesla, even though the Model 3 and Model Y sell at the average of new vehicle prices in western nations. Turns out the same privileged Russians that can afford a Tesla are the same privileged ethnic Russians whom the Kremlin protects from conscription or "volunteering".

• Helpful
Reactions: SwedishAdvocate
One doesn't need any formal or high level economics training. Greece is on the poorer end of Europe, but Russians are considerably poorer still. Turkey, yes Russia is in that poverty ballpark. Given Russia has leadership that has not developed their people as instead masters kleptocracy, what are your thoughts?
I do not agree with the assertion that the leadership does not develop its people.

A small percent of the Russian population can afford a Tesla, even though the Model 3 and Model Y sell at the average of new vehicle prices in western nations. Turns out the same privileged Russians that can afford a Tesla are the same privileged ethnic Russians whom the Kremlin protects from conscription or "volunteering".
Model 3/Y is not a luxury, these are cars in the "above mid-range" price range.
I am a simple employee, and I can afford a mid-range car.

• Funny
Reactions: winfield100
I do not agree with the assertion that the leadership does not develop its people.

Model 3/Y is not a luxury, these are cars in the "above mid-range" price range.
I am a simple employee, and I can afford a mid-range car.
According to Russia's Federal State Statistics Service, the average yearly wage is just under $10,000 US dollars (73,709 Russian rubles per month x12). The U.S. is $60,000/year. No, "simple" employees can not afford any such mid-range car.

What has your leadership done to develop its people? What does Russia make and export to the world beyond what 3rd world countries do (petroleum products, other low end commodities, and weapons copied from the West)? What great things are made in Russia and exported from developed people?