Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Russia/Ukraine conflict

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...Ukraine need to stockpile and hit Russia hard in a novel way (fly troops over the trench/minefields)...
Jet packs/larger drones to carry a soldier and some gear have been demonstrated for years and can carry a human distances of at least 100s of meters. If such can be produced in mass and at reasonable cost...would not be suprised to see Ukraine pull this off in the next couple or years.

It might make sense for a company of Ukrainian soldiers to move from tree-line to tree-line, bypassing mine fields and flying swiftly just a few feet off the ground to minimize detection. Could imagine a company with thermal imaging making a rapid surprise night time assault this way.

You guys realize that the Russians just crashed a radioisotope thermoelectric generator (RTG) containing several kilograms of plutonium into the Moon at over 5,000 kph? How wide is the plume/cone of contamination? Did they also contaminate the vital water resources in the craters at the South pole? Ya think it'll be easier to live and work on the Moon long-term now? Who's gonna clean this *sugar* up?

This is as bad (or worse) than shortly before Feb 24, 2022 when the Russians conducted their ASAT 'test' which loaded an entire LEO shell with 10K+ pieces of space shrapnel. This irresponsible crap has got to stop. Patience is running thin.

Luna 25 crashed at 57.55°S nearby the Pontécoulant crater, which is still a bit away from the pole. Its RTG provided 6.5W of electric power. I don't know the actual amount of Pu but calculating back from the thermal efficiency, it was somewhere between 170 and 200g.
I applaud today's successful Indian landing on the moon. Was it a guaranteed success? I don't think so. Space flight is still hard, even in times of weekly Starlink launches. Was the Russian attempt rushed and ill-prepared? Possibly, yes. But at least I can't tell. I consider it more probable that the engineers assessed that they are good to go.

I don't see evidence that this was a haphazard enterprise, only the beforementioned motive to take a higher risk to score some positive headlines. And I acknowledge that Russians did a number of irresponsible things before. Here on earth, they blew up a dam with catastrophic consequences on many levels. Autocratic leaders have a tendency to care for nobody else than themselves and Putin has repeatedly demonstrated this trait.

A successful mission could have provided a boost to the Russian space program and its budget in particular. I hope that this setback has the opposite effect and that they will fall back further behind as long as they are under a fascist government with imperialist ambitions that weaponises every technological advancement. Air and space flight related technology extends the reach of military threats and I appreciate any developments that curtail Putlers ambitions in this field.

Don't know what kind of source this is, but the content of the tweet seems accurate...

But regardless... They're going to need ground crews as well.

"
Danish pilots can fly F-16s in Ukraine , - Jyllands-Posten

The local publication is among the first to test the waters on the legalization of the participation of NATO retirees in the conflict against Russia on the side of Ukraine.

The main idea of the article is that while the Ukrainians will be trained to work with the fighter, the “retired” pilots of the Danish military aviation can fly the F-16.
"

Flying Tigers reborn.

One of the next questions - does any of this soon spill over into some internal turmoil?

Prigozhin and his right hand man apparently were killed. But there are many remaining senior lieutenants in Wagner (and multiple times the fan club) who share a similar partisan passion. Greatly weakened, but would not be surprised to see them strike back at team Putin/Shoigu in some way.

• Informative
Reactions: SwedishAdvocate
More Russian oil will be displaced by U.S. production on world markets.

U.S. crude oil output continues to climb. As of latest EIA data today, now up to 12.8 million barrels per day (bpd). This is nearing prior peak COVID, then of 13.1 million bpd. Another concomitant option is to fill back up the strategic petroleum reserve.
1692822913460.png

Weekly U.S. Field Production of Crude Oil (Thousand Barrels per Day)

Last edited: