Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

S driver claims his parked car moved on its own and hit parked trailer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I believe 6" is a bit close...I believe the setting allow you to go as close as 18" I use autopark into my garage all the time and it does a great job getting into the garage with no issues. My spouse believes it's too slow

It's 8" if you pick "narrow spaces."

I actually had my app throw a "summon aborted" notification once, when I woke up and looked at my phone. The car was in the garage with the door shut. I have homelink disabled for summon. I don't know what on EARTH activated summon—I was asleep, no one was near my phone and my wife insisted she didn't go anywhere near my keys (and it would take some doing).

Don't know what happened, but I've been curious ever since... maybe it was a badly queued summon message from some earlier time...

In any event, it sounds like the guy enabled the double click stalk option, then accidentally double clicked, parked behind a WAY too high vehicle for the ultrasonic sensors. Whoops.

... If you double-tap the Park button then immediately get out of the car without touching anything, *by default* it will have activated AutoPark to pull the car forward (forward is the default direction of movement).
Lightbulb moment. I could see this happening. This really should be a tap-hold or hold for two seconds or double-tap and OK on the touchscreen ...

Thank you to all above who clarified and provided proof that under the current conditions the driver is responsible.

I was under the impression that summon was a little closer to prime time and it was just around the corner for summon to pick you up in front of the mall. From the looks of it, that capability is a ways off.

Reactions: Coolcarx
Thank you to all above who clarified and provided proof that under the current conditions the driver is responsible.

I was under the impression that summon was a little closer to prime time and it was just around the corner for summon to pick you up in front of the mall. From the looks of it, that capability is a ways off.

It could be just around the corner. However the current release isn't...as stated in the terms.

Thanks currently in my garage I have 17ft and the S is like 16"9

It's 8" if you pick "narrow spaces."

I actually had my app throw a "summon aborted" notification once, when I woke up and looked at my phone. The car was in the garage with the door shut. I have homelink disabled for summon. I don't know what on EARTH activated summon—I was asleep, no one was near my phone and my wife insisted she didn't go anywhere near my keys (and it would take some doing).

Don't know what happened, but I've been curious ever since... maybe it was a badly queued summon message from some earlier time...

In any event, it sounds like the guy enabled the double click stalk option, then accidentally double clicked, parked behind a WAY too high vehicle for the ultrasonic sensors. Whoops.
ge

An integrated camera at the height of the rear view mirror would have prevented this. Without an "eye" from the driver's seat, a 4,500 lb mass of metal should not be allowed to move unattended, and telling people to attend to it is not good enough, at least in my opinion. Tesla has left a very large area unaccounted for. If a child was playing on that trailer and got crushed, the 'you know what' would have really hit the fan, this would be all over the news, and the driver blaming Tesla and vice versa will only be rubbing salt into the wound. You can also bet the gov't would step in immediately and have it turned off, although Tesla would like do it before being ordered to.

(I'm ready for the dislikes.)

Reactions: zambono
An integrated camera at the height of the rear view mirror would have prevented this. Without an "eye" from the driver's seat, a 4,500 lb mass of metal should not be allowed to move unattended, and telling people to attend to it is not good enough, at least in my opinion. Tesla has left a very large area unaccounted for. If a child was playing on that trailer and got crushed, the 'you know what' would have really hit the fan, this would be all over the news, and the driver blaming Tesla and vice versa will only be rubbing salt into the wound. You can also bet the gov't would step in immediately and have it turned off, although Tesla would like do it before being ordered to.

(I'm ready for the dislikes.)

Not going to dislike this because I agree with you. I rarely use summon except to in rare circumstances. I also don't feel real comfortable with AutoSteer to be honest. When I use any of the AP stuff I'm in full attention mode as I should be. Perhaps the next iteration of these features will be better and I do enjoy playing with and testing it but I don't completely trust it.

Reactions: Maximus8
Tesla finds 'Summon' as cause of Utah man's Model S crash

Tesla has even said what I suspect and that is the driver hit the park button twice. I've done this a half dozen times to get out and find that my MS is moving forward. It hasn't hit anything of course but there have been a few concerning moments.

When I pick up my daughter at school, I stop and press the park button once and then a second time to extend the door handles. I then get out to go around to the other side of the car to help her get in and load her 40 lb scoliosis backpack. If she doesn't open the door soon enough while I'm coming to the other side, the car starts moving forward. It's how the feature is designed.

The only indication is the emergency flashers and of course the screen shows summon in activation mode, but if you're getting out quickly to help someone load stuff up after opening up the door handles with the second park press, you're in for a shock the first few times.

Tesla has the logs, burden of proof now falls on owner and it's just his word. Tesla probably knows if it was activated via phone or fob

Tesla has even said what I suspect and that is the driver hit the park button twice. I've done this a half dozen times to get out and find that my MS is moving forward. It hasn't hit anything of course but there have been a few concerning moments.

When I pick up my daughter at school, I stop and press the park button once and then a second time to extend the door handles. I then get out to go around to the other side of the car to help her get in and load her 40 lb scoliosis backpack. If she doesn't open the door soon enough while I'm coming to the other side, the car starts moving forward. It's how the feature is designed.

The only indication is the emergency flashers and of course the screen shows summon in activation mode, but if you're getting out quickly to help someone load stuff up after opening up the door handles with the second park press, you're in for a shock the first few times.

• Helpful
Reactions: emchen and Coolcarx

The door handles present automatically when you open the driver door. Why press the stalk twice?

The door handles present automatically when you open the driver door. Why press the stalk twice?

You can change the settings to only present the driver's door handle and the other handles won't present unless you press the key or the stalk. I have it set like that because I don't like the handles to always present when the majority of the time it's just me in the car. There's no need to constantly wear those other three motors. Some people also like it for the safety factor.

Last edited:
You can change the settings to only present the driver's door handle and the other handles won't present unless you press the key or the stalk. I have it set like that because I don't the handles to always present when the majority of the time it's just me in the car. There's no need to constantly wear those other three motors. Some people also like it for the safety factor.

That's exactly why I have mine set to only present the drivers handle.