Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

S vs. Ford Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

astrotoy

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2013
SF Bay Area
I just saw a documentary on Henry Ford last night. At its maximum the famous Ford River Rouge plant had a capacity to build 10,000 cars a day! They also had armed guards patrolling the plant and would beat up and then fire workers who gathered together to talk (to prevent them from organizing into unions). This was after the early days of Ford and their Model T (not S) when Henry Ford paid the best wages. When I lived near Fremont in the '70's I would drive by the GM plant (which is now where Telsa is) and it would take some time to pass it on the freeway. Not as big as River Rouge, but still pretty big.

I just saw a documentary on Henry Ford last night. At its maximum the famous Ford River Rouge plant had a capacity to build 10,000 cars a day! They also had armed guards patrolling the plant and would beat up and then fire workers who gathered together to talk (to prevent them from organizing into unions). This was after the early days of Ford and their Model T (not S) when Henry Ford paid the best wages. When I lived near Fremont in the '70's I would drive by the GM plant (which is now where Telsa is) and it would take some time to pass it on the freeway. Not as big as River Rouge, but still pretty big.

Ford became more than a little daffy later in life. Of course, he suffered a series of strokes. But he was downright cruel to his son Edsel as the poor son was dying from cancer. Not a nice old man for sure.

Since you appreciate manufacturing history, you may find the history of the NUMMI plant interesting. If you have not heard this, enjoy!

NUMMI | This American Life