TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here:

S vs. Ford Production

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by astrotoy, Jan 30, 2013.

1. astrotoy

astrotoy Member

Jan 24, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    I just saw a documentary on Henry Ford last night. At its maximum the famous Ford River Rouge plant had a capacity to build 10,000 cars a day! They also had armed guards patrolling the plant and would beat up and then fire workers who gathered together to talk (to prevent them from organizing into unions). This was after the early days of Ford and their Model T (not S) when Henry Ford paid the best wages. When I lived near Fremont in the '70's I would drive by the GM plant (which is now where Telsa is) and it would take some time to pass it on the freeway. Not as big as River Rouge, but still pretty big.
  2. artsci

artsci Sponsor

May 10, 2012
    Timonium, Maryland
    Ford became more than a little daffy later in life. Of course, he suffered a series of strokes. But he was downright cruel to his son Edsel as the poor son was dying from cancer. Not a nice old man for sure.
  3. Joel

Joel Active Member

Mar 24, 2011
    Since you appreciate manufacturing history, you may find the history of the NUMMI plant interesting. If you have not heard this, enjoy!

NUMMI | This American Life