Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

S85 Owners: Do you wish you had bought S60 instead

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm the opposite. I bought an S85. Had been thinking about a P85, but never spent so much on a car and decided the extra $10k (at the time) wasn't worth it. Boy am I regretting that. If I could do it all over again, I would have purchased a P85.

So I'm regretting that I didn't spend MORE! Now I feel stuck...no easy way to go to a P without losing a lot of $$.

Could consider waiting until there is some big compelling reason to upgrade (100kWh pack for example, AWD, active cruise control..etc). That way you get a new warranty and all the other advancements that have been made in the car since launch.

Well, my S85 Sparky is currently sitting downstairs with 11 km Rated left, getting home after a weekend trip away. So, I think it's safe to say our mileage requirements pointed to the 85 battery. And I don't need the P, I know that for sure as well.

The funny thing is, both of my condo's charger spots have been ICEd tonight, by random chance. But I have other methods!

I have a 60 loaner right now while my drive unit is being swapped out for a new one. I LOVE my P and have no regrets and don't think I could ever get anything less than a P as my main car. However as my second car....I've found...i could totally do a 60...I didn't think that a 60 would be enough. I thought I'd have range anxiety for some reason. However I drove exactly 135 actual miles today and came home with 31 rated miles left and that was after a 90% charge so.??I'm hoping that some of the people that bought 60's will be turning them in shortly and I can grab one up. It really is a great car!!

Hey Alysashley79 - I am in Seattle too and curious about your 135 mile drive, how many rated miles did you have to start? I have a 60 on order (just got VIN tonight) and excited to drive all around the Puget Sound. I have a regular 75 mile round-trip daily commute with charging at both mine and my wife's work (carpool), so I'm not worried about the daily commute but we do like to get out on the weekends and I am sure it will be easy to find excuses soon. How do you find the effect on range of your P85 (or the loaner 60) around this area? It's not really cold, but its not warm either. How about the hills/mountains on the east side (I-90)? Do you think a 1-way trip to Portland (178 miles from Snoqualmie) is doable in the S60? There is a SuperCharger in Centralia (78 miles) so thats always an option. I watched my driving for the past 6 months and never drove more than 120 miles in a day without any breaks, except to Mount Vernon (tulip festival) last year, otherwise it was to the mountains (Crystal / Stevens) to ski and wouldn't take the Tesla anyways as even an 85 wouldn't make it round-trip. Does a full car (Me, Wife, 2 kids w/ carseats) affect the range much?

Sorry for all the questions, I am very thrilled about my 60, just curious how much actual range I can expect in this area when taking longer trips. I've mapped out a SuperCharger trip from here to L.A. and it had one every 80-113 miles, so it seemed very doable in a 60.

Hey AustinEV,

Agree with you on the Sunday hours of Collin Street Bakery at the Waco SC. Thank goodness for the Denny's and the little path in the grass down the access road to it! I've gotten to the Waco charger after-hours and made that mini-Pilgrimage for a Grand Slam a few times now...

Adam

No regrets on getting the 85. 60 would've been plenty for my everyday needs, but I think there's plenty of value in the 85 to justify the extra dough.

Exactly. I'm not sure I've ever been below 100 miles of range remaining at this point in my 85, but for the trips I plan to take (esp. in cold weather), the 85 is a nice margin of safety.

I definitely do not regret getting the 85 battery. I've only made 4 long road trips so far, but each of those would have required stopping somewhere other than a Supercharger for a couple hours with a 60 (not to mention the added stress of range anxiety). This will change as more superchargers come online, but there will always be a stretch that will be nice to have more range, especially if you are driving with the flow of traffic at 80mph.

For me the main advantage it longevity. the 85 will almost certainly degrade less over 10 years, since you can stay between 30-90% most of the time.

My only regret, and this comes and goes, is not getting the P85. The delta cost at original purchase was not too bad, and when I had a P85 loaner I could can definitely feel the difference. The post purchase upgrade is around $15k + tax, and does not include the nicer headliner and other things that come with the normal P85 upgrade.

Last edited:
Living in Ohio with Superchargers available in the North part of the state only, I absolutely am thrilled with the S85. Eventually, it won't matter once the Supercharger network is in place, but for the last year and half, the S85 has been the perfect car.

One thing I learned in 3 years (62,000 kms) of Roadster driving...you can never have enough "battery"...never even considered a 60kwh vehicle...if you can only afford one option on your MS, get the biggest battery...that is the best option you can buy (imo)...

My wife and I have put almost 24k miles on our 60 and its anniversary is May 5th. My usual long day is 120 miles, well within my range. I have take 3 supercharged trips and have never thought about it. We just never seem to be pushing the limits. I am planning a trip from S Fla to Mass in Aug and the only concern is from St Aug to Savannnah, but alas, we decided to take the AutoTrain, so there is no issues between Lorton and Pittsfield, plenty of Superchargers and places to top off if needed. But generally, how many days do I really need more than 200 miles? BTW, I have had NEGLIGEABLE degradation in the 24k miles. In fact with the latest firmware, it appears my car is actually more efficent. The Std Charge is 180 miles and full is 201. We just LOVE our car.

You can almost never have too much range if you plan to travel in areas without Superchargers. That said as long as you stick within your range and allow a decent buffer either car works well. The 85kWh pack does open up some routes and day trips that would be difficult in the 60. It all depends on where you live, what charging is around and what trips you plan on taking.