Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Safety Score

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Autopilot in stop and go set to 7 distance.

Attachments

• 5A66A072-6541-4E93-9FBC-3456C02159F6.png
    5A66A072-6541-4E93-9FBC-3456C02159F6.png
    189.7 KB · Views: 83
So basically make sure you don’t use any AP or system features and hand drive the car...

Safety score shouldn’t be calculated when on AP. Maybe it was while you were off autopilot.

I just test drive with 2 trips and each is 3 miles for a total of 6 miles all on Autopilot except for home garage/business parking lot/turns at intersections and I got 100/100 each of the time and also combined for the whole day so far.

1632604155540.png

1632604417331.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Big Earl
My current safety score on my 3 is a button shattering 99. My poor wife‘s score on her S is a mediocre 98. It’s nice to remind her who is the good driver in our household as she has spent years criticizing my driving.

I hope the button is causing similar clarification in all of your homes. Men are naturally superior drivers and it’s about time technology proves it.

Autopilot in stop and go set to 7 distance.
Stop and go is likely to be under 50mph. Per Tesla’s description of the unsafe following, it is only measured when driving above 50mph.

The other thing I noticed is that it’s measured as a percentage of time spent under 1 second behind another vehicle versus the time spend between 1 and 3 seconds behind (but not beyond 3 seconds).

So ideally you always want to follow another vehicle at a far enough distance that it’s over 1 second ahead, but not beyond 3 seconds ahead, while driving over 50mph.

This will ensure your denominator is very large, so thet even if you follow someone “unsafely” (within a seconds) for a bit, the percentage will be low.

Unsafe Following
Do not tailgate or drive close to the vehicle in front. Maintain a following distance of several car-lengths to the vehicle in front to have sufficient time to react to its speed. Remember that driving at higher speeds in inclement weather or on slick road surfaces requires a greater following distance to allow sufficient time to react safely.

Last edited:
Safety score shouldn’t be calculated when on AP. Maybe it was while you were off autopilot.

Per Tesla’s description of the unsafe following, it is only measured when driving above 50mph.
I feel that there is some ambiguity in Tesla’s description that “Driving on Autopilot will not be included in Safety Score calculations.” They may be simply stating that using AP just is not one of the factors (like % of time on AP or whatever) - not that things like unsafe following are not included in the score if AP/TACC is engaged.

Some here have claimed that using minimum follow distance in AP resulted in demerits. I have not had a chance to check myself nor do I want to!

Should not be hard for someone with a low score to do a definitive experiment above 50mph with follow distance 1 though.

8052CA7E-D8EF-4BCB-9061-CE72963FB0C9.jpeg

I feel that there is some ambiguity in Tesla’s description that “Driving on Autopilot will not be included in Safety Score calculations.” They may be simply stating that using AP just is not one of the factors (like % of time on AP or whatever) - not that things like unsafe following are not included in the score if AP/TACC is engaged.
Seems clear to me:

1632610734278.png

It seems like the hard braking criteria encourages rolling through stop signs and not slowing as much for speed bumps. I wonder if FSD beta is evaluated on similar metrics?

Also unclear if braking to disengage Autopilot to get out of a situation it didn't predict then results in a lower score as technically Autopilot is no longer engaged?

Reactions: edseloh
Thanks, missed that (although I think I saw someone post it earlier). That seems clear enough. I guess people will claim what they will…

Of course it is also possible that the close following observed is an error on Tesla’s part. 23.1% is a bit higher than I would expect for a drive mostly on AP with following distance 7 (what I was responding to).

I guess since the person was in stop-and-go traffic that would explain it. Denominator very small as mentioned above (since AP time is supposedly ignored, and low speed would be ignored). So close following occurred at other times probably.

Last edited:
I got a “hard braking” on my first trip. I’m pretty sure it was AP. It stopped short at a light, to the point where my foot was over the brake and I was shaking my head in disappointment (I rarely use it because it has poor driving habits). It was easily the hardest brake of my few mile drive.

Does anyone know of an app (iPhone) that can record g-force and play a notification when over a user set limit?

I was at distance follow 7. The 2nd leg of the trip wasn't stop and go and I had all green.
Seems like more experimentation is needed after discussion above. Seems like setting follow distance to 1 and using AP a bit for a short segment over 50mph would be interesting.

I’m not entirely convinced Tesla is calculating the overall averages correctly either. They can’t average the percentages of course and they may be ignoring 0% in the individual segment reports.

For example, I have taken 5 segments today. The first and the third were the longest, equal length, 0% score on one, 7.3% on the other long one. The fourth segment was fairly short and I got a 2.4%. My average is suspiciously 4.9%. This is the average of 2.4% and 7.3%. (4.85%, an invalid calculation in any case most likely; you cannot average averages)

Mathematically it is possible that this is a coincidence due to the way events and the ratios are counted…but suspicious:
(All approximate below, does not quite add to 46 since they do not report individual segment lengths I had to estimate.)
Trip 1: 11 miles. 0%. Freeway, lots of following events.
Trip 2: 2.5 miles. 0%, no events, surface streets.
Trip 3: 13.5 miles. 7.3%. Freeway, lots of following events.
Trip 4: 7.7 miles. 2.4% freeway, small amount of following events.
Trip 5: 10.1 miles. 0%, freeway, lots of following events.

Something to keep an eye on anyway. It is a Beta after all. With three numbers rather than two non-zero if it is still the simple average of the averages that would be increasingly unlikely to be correct unless all the segments are very similar… (others with multiple non zero segments could also check the averages…)
68F36678-1690-4987-95EA-057D1538D9DA.png
80B4ABC1-CDC6-4207-9101-0CDD23F92E41.png
900F9E54-CEB8-4B49-B5CC-A2608ADE48E1.png

Last edited: