Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Safety Score

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am guessing that Tesla does look at miles. After all, they probably want a tester who does more miles as that would be more beneficial to the dev team. More miles, especially different routes, would mean more data. Someone who games the score by just driving 0.1 miles each day will probably not get in IMO. For one, they will see that the person is trying to game the score. But also, why let someone in who only does 0.1 miles per day of driving?
I hear you but I hope they mix it up a bit. They could use a few easy safe drivers (like me) that are currently working from home.

Drive in NYC or any other bumper to bumper traffic city, get penalized as being unsafe.

Drive in a smooth zig-zag in a freeway and have a great safety score!

Break hard not to run over a kid running: Unsafe!

This scoring is stupid.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210927-104513.png
    Screenshot_20210927-104513.png
    173.6 KB · Views: 67
Reactions: DCEV
I don't see this scoring system as a measure of driving, it's more of a measure of how well their FSD system can interpret the places you drive and how well it will be able to handle it.

Safety score aside. One day last month I tried using the auto steer w/ lane changing on a 4 lane city street, I was coming up to my right turn and there was an extremely long right turn lane, like 700+ feet. There was a bike lane between my lane and the right turn lane, with dashed lines for the bike lane indicating that it was safe to cross the bike lane. I checked to make sure it was clear, and I turned on my turn signal to have it change lanes into the turn lane. It decided to lane change into the bike lane and straddle it... LOL.

Then there's the stupidity of the LKA/autosteer, where the right lane marker disappears because of an off ramp, so it jumps the car a foot or two to the right, only to jump it a foot or two back to the left when the road stripe on the right comes back. If you hold the wheel to actually keep the car in lane, and prevent the unsafe adjustment it's making, it disengages.

For their safety scores. This morning i had a FCW for a car that was so far ahead of me that it initially wasn't visible in the computer model of the cars around me on the dash. I regen braked all the way up to the car, only using the brakes for the last few feet to come to a complete stop. I've also had FCW's a few times for cars that took a right turn and was completely out of my lane when i took my foot off the brake and started accelerating, the computer was just too slow behind the real world to realize the car was gone and there nothing there to collide with. I haven't once had a valid FCW, so their metric there is more of a measure of whether or not their recognition misinterprets what it's seeing in the place i live, with lots of bright sunlight and reflections.

I selected to trial the beta because i'm _hoping_ that it fixes the outright defects in the existing system.

But, taking my kids to school it dings me for fast turns and hard braking, when i'm just pacing all of the traffic around me, blending in. Apparently everyone on the road is supposed to drive like they're driving miss daisy. In Florida, if you drive like that you'll have people running you off the road, many drivers here are crazy and impatient. It's safest to blend in and pace, and just keep out of the way of the crazies. Don't be a crazy, but don't impede the crazies either.

To me, when their computer system can properly interpret a normal and uneventful school drop off in the morning, pacing and blending into traffic around me and score it as 100, that'll signal that it might be ready for beta in my area.

So far, the only accurate piece of their measurement seems to be the safe/unsafe following distance.
100% agree with blending into traffic. The safe/unsafe following distance metric to me seems strange because if you’re driving with AP/FSD engaged, the AP/FSD decides the safe following distance without your input.

Drive in NYC or any other bumper to bumper traffic city, get penalized as being unsafe.

Drive in a smooth zig-zag in a freeway and have a great safety score!

Break hard not to run over a kid running: Unsafe!

This scoring is stupid.
Scoring is not only related to you, but your environment, too. I braked hard not to hit a deer and got dinged. But that ding shows Tesla that in my area, Deer collisions are more likely. Therefore my score drops. It's natural. One could say it's a matter of time until you hit a deer where I live. The score just attempts to predict that.

I have to check on FCW settings. Where I live, we have a lot of curved residential streets where people park on the curve. I always get warned because the car thinks I'm going to hit them. I used to just laugh those off, but now (like this morning), they count.
They don't, even if you turn it off, the metrics are calculated using the Medium setting, as per Tesla's website.

I am guessing that Tesla does look at miles. After all, they probably want a tester who does more miles as that would be more beneficial to the dev team. More miles, especially different routes, would mean more data. Someone who games the score by just driving 0.1 miles each day will probably not get in IMO. For one, they will see that the person is trying to game the score. But also, why let someone in who only does 0.1 miles per day of driving?

As in any test, whether it's one in school or a job interview in person, it's not a perfect indicator.

Some parents would invest thousands of dollars to train their kids the SAT/ACT for college.

Maybe that's why China now bans private tutoring.

Nevertheless, a test can screen out those who are not disciplined enough to respect the test and those who are unwilling to put any investment in an effort to pass a test.

In FSD beta driving, I think there should be a minimum ability to follow instructions, discipline, and respect for the limitations and not just complaining, whining, and unreasonable challenging (as in the case of sitting in the backseat for Autopilot) at the risk of loss of lives.

Thus, we need an entrepreneur who's willing to tutor us on how to pass a Safety Score. After all, it's a small price to pay in comparing to the $10,000 price.

Last edited:
Reactions: kbM3 and ahoen117
....pretty sure I won't get the Beta FSD software. I have a 6 mile commute on city streets. I had a bunny run in front of my car so I swirved and hit the brakes. This killed my safety score and I won't do enough driving this week to offeset it. I'll just wait until it gets released to the rest of us normal drivers.

Is the Safety Score driver and car specific or just car. Our 3 has FSD and both my wife and I drive it. So will we each have a Safety Score ties to our profile in the car? How does that work in the app since we have one login to our Tesla account. How would our phone apps know which person to show?

Did my first long drive, 60 miles mostly interstate and 98% AP the entire drive. I was careful to keep at least two second following distance, but maybe the low score on following was coming up to cars at stop lights. I typically disengaged before coming up to cars to have a more feathered stop, but may try to let it stop itself behind cars on the way back Still, happy to see that it didn’t ding my score too badly.

D8924389-6280-499F-B2B3-78B0C2E141B2.jpeg

My wife just texted me and said traffic was bad and she thinks her score was a 80. She was on Autopilot. Cars in LA likes to nose dive into Carpool lanes so sets off forward collision warnings and hard braking. I also don’t think follow distance only works above 50 because I was also dinged in stop and go traffic even when distance is set to 7.

Attachments

• 342A9515-DDAA-4509-8C95-1EFA4FE73D86.jpeg
    342A9515-DDAA-4509-8C95-1EFA4FE73D86.jpeg
    86.9 KB · Views: 56
  • Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Is the Safety Score driver and car specific or just car. Our 3 has FSD and both my wife and I drive it. So will we each have a Safety Score ties to our profile in the car? How does that work in the app since we have one login to our Tesla account. How would our phone apps know which person to show?

In the "Daily Details", then the "Trips" tab, you can see the score for each profile.

However, as @MP3Mike said, there's only 1 Safety Score for each VIN even though you can see the details for each profile.

If Tesla will implement a profile-permission system, I guess it has to spend more resources to utilize the cabin camera to verify the profile (S and X don't have cabin cameras until 2021).

Last edited:
In FSD beta driving, I think there should be a minimum discipline and respect for the limitations
Assuming even after 7 days of Safety Score evaluation, if Tesla is intentionally doing a slow rollout of FSD Beta, they most likely have way more applicants than spots available, so they could be quite selective in who to allow in even if that means "accidentally" excluding qualified drivers. So even if Safety Score (Beta) has false positives and a simple acceptance filter for say 100 score with at least 30 miles driven per day (this is ~average commute in the US), that could still exceed how many they would want to accept (and if not, they can just slightly lower the thresholds until they reach "capacity").

Unclear if that type of acceptance criteria actually gets at useful discipline and respect, but something "simple" / "MVP" / "beta process" doesn't seem too inconceivable. Personally, my regular commute is less than 5 miles, so I hope I don't get excluded for some factor like that.

Of course, if Tesla has multiple goals in doing this rollout, e.g., more geographic diversity, the above "simple" approach could be layered on top.

My wife just texted me and said traffic was bad and she thinks her score was a 80. She was on Autopilot. Cars in LA likes to nose dive into Carpool lanes so sets off forward collision warnings and hard braking. I also don’t think follow distance only works above 50 because I was also dinged in stop and go traffic even when distance is set to 7.
you’re probably getting dinged on follow distance when you take the car out of autopilot and you’re still driving closely behind someone. Or when you’re merging onto the freeway before turning AP on. While AP is on, you shouldn’t get dinged on close follow

Reactions: Big Earl
Just wanted to give a little anecdote from my experience yesterday.
A friend of mine was interested in buying a model 3, so I offered to give him a ride in mine, even though I was in the FSD driver test, I figured screw it, I’ll take a bad score and make it up with miles of slow driving after.
So we floored it on some city streets from red lights, used max regen to slow us back down, (stayed off the brakes), came back parked the car, checked my safety score…and it was still 100!
So moral is, get out there and enjoy your acceleration and don’t worry about max regen, it won’t cause a hard brake event.