Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Safety Score

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon said the trial for safety score is 7 days, and then a decision will be made about FSD eligibility. However, I am starting to think that Safety Score will stay and it will be a requirement to maintain a safety score over a specific threshold to maintain beta eligibility (I.e. If you don't maintain a score above 88, you could be booted from beta).

IMO, this would suck. It takes the fun out of driving a tesla. But I can see Tesla keeping it as a data point to cover their ass if accidents occur under FSD in the future. What do we think?

1632761637147.png

Boom! Turn on chill mode. Low regen braking so it doesn't brake too quickly. Drive like your 80!

...Safety Score will stay...
I wouldn't know until someone can do an experiment to "opt-out" to erase the score and then wait a day or 2 to "opt-in" to start it fresh.
...requirement to maintain a safety score over a specific threshold to maintain beta eligibility...
That has been warned repeatedly that bad drivers will lose their FSD beta.

But again, it's possible that they can easily gain it back by passing the 7-day test again.

1632761805308.png

1) Turn on Chill Mode for acceleration and don't punch it at the line!
2) Turn regen braking to "Low" as I read standard can brake too hard and flag you (didn't test this, just read it)
3) Take turns slowly
4) 5 MPH max over speed limit - I use auto-pilot as well
5) I set distance to 4 for autopilot
6) Get over the fact that you'll annoy everyone around you by driving like your 80!
7) Repeat

Last edited:
View attachment 714946

Boom! Turn on chill mode. Low regen braking so it doesn't brake too quickly. Drive like your 80!
Nicely done! If you read my post above, I used max acceleration and max regen and still got 100. I would suggest keeping regen to full. If you use the brake pedal, it’ll be hard to gauge when you’re reaching 0.3g’s. You don’t have to drive too much like a grandma 😄

interestingly, a hacker on twitter reported the info being uploaded to Tesla includes Driver Profile...perhaps in a future update this will be used rather than the car.

Good point and it's been deployed by clicking "Daily Details", then the "Trips" tab, you can see the score for each profile.

However, the consent on the car's display says "VIN-associated" not "profile-associated".

It's difficult to implement profile-associated firmware permission for now because not all Tesla cars have cabin cameras. Without cameras, it'll be an honor system.

I'm driving normal and have a 99. My key is my daily drive is 120mi and 95% interstate on AP. That drive is going through downtown nashville where everyone cuts you off and jammed packed.. It 'supposedly' doesn't count what would be potential dings while on AP but does count the mileage. So I could drive like an A-hole for the 5% non AP and still be 95+ score probably
Don’t do it, I drive 75 miles each way to work with 70 of that being highway. I used NoA for the highway miles and drove normally on the city streets. Ended up with a 68 score 5.3 for hard braking even tho I’ve mastered one pedal driving and very touched the brake pedal. 5.3 on aggressive turning also and the only thing I can think it came from is an unprotected left turn I made. I did have one FCW leaving the parking lot at work, totally unnecessary btw cause I was no where close to the car pulling out in front of me.

On the return trip to work the next day I managed a 98, but drove like a 90 year old women in an Oldsmobile. Still I got a 5.1 for aggressive turning and a 9.1 for unsafe following, but get this it’s 3:30 am and on the city streets i purposely never allowed a car in the lane in front of me. So who the heck was I following unsafely? SMH. They say AP doesn’t count but I DONT BELIEVE THAT!

Reactions: TheOx and Microterf
...Turn on Chill Mode...

I think the best strategy is to set Autopilot to its most conservative settings such as following distance at 7 instead of 1 and drive because you are not penalized for anything that Autopilot fails until of course, you have to brake hard if Autopilot fails to avoid a collision.

...acceleration and don't punch it at the line!...
Acceleration is fine but you are penalized for hard breaking which should not a problem with Autopilot on.
2) Turn regen braking to "Low" as I read standard can brake too hard and flag you (didn't test this, just read it)
Not true. As long as you are on Autopilot, you are good. It's the manual hard braking that's the problem.

4) 5 MPH max over speed limit...
You can speed all you want (such as 200 MPH for your Model S Plaid) without hurting your score. It's the Penalized Autopilot Disengagement when you manually drive above 90 MPH on Autopilot (radarless system has lower number) that's the problem. So if you want 200 MPH, do it manually without Autopilot and that would not hurt your score.

I'm assuming Tesla doesn't stop tracking our "safety" when on the track or in track mode. The deep irony that some of the people measured as the least safe are going to be some of the most skilled and experienced drivers that are most in control of their cars shows how dystopian context-free "big data" measurements like this are.

I'm personally not going to give up going to the track to become one of Elon's chosen "safe drivers." So now I want to see how low I can get the score ;) Getting those forced AP disconnects on the track is going to be a challenge, but unsafe following distance should be pretty easy!

Drive like you are on ice. With regard to turning, stopping, cornering and follow distance!

They say AP doesn’t count but I DONT BELIEVE THAT!
I agree with both statements, but I don't understand the latter. My score is consistently better if I hand-drive like I'm on ice. If on AP, still driving extremely conservatively when I'm in control, my scores are consistently lower - mostly "braking" and "turns".

Logically, you would think Tesla would want to know how often you currently use AP on city streets for the FSD Beta criteria, but is that written down anywhere? If it doesn't really count, I'm better off getting a better score by hand-driving.

Reactions: devobail
1) Turn on Chill Mode for acceleration and don't punch it at the line!
3) Take turns slowly
4) 5 MPH max over speed limit - I use auto-pilot as well
5) Get over the fact that you'll annoy everyone around you by driving like your 80!
6) Repeat
#1 - Why? Tesla doesn't measure accel
#2- They don't have this option on newer cars.
#3- Yep.
#4 - Why? Tesla doesn't use this in the score
#5 - Yep, the number one thing about being safe is to make sure you drive different than other drivers. Every safety expert will tell you this.

#7 - Stay far behind cars in front of you. Farther than many people expect. Far enough that about 10 cars could pull in there.
#8 - Don't use AP. If AP fails, and you have to take over and brake or turn hard to avoid a crash, this will count against you (hard braking/turning).
#9 - Be afraid of your brakes. Using them will ding your safety score. Think about your safety score. Consider it every time you touch the controls. This algorithm is clearly right, and if you need to use the brakes to not run a red light, that must be bad. Run that light. The score doesn't care. The score says slowing down is bad.

Last edited:
In the "Daily Details", then the "Trips" tab, you can see the score for each profile.

However, as @MP3Mike said, there's only 1 Safety Score for each VIN even though you can see the details for each profile.

If Tesla will implement a profile-permission system, I guess it has to spend more resources to utilize the cabin camera to verify the profile (S and X don't have cabin cameras until 2021).
Thats sort of a bummer. We drive rather differently and I have much more faith and tend to use AP nearly all the time. Dont even think she has Navigate on Auto Pilot enabled.

...If on AP, still driving extremely conservatively when I'm in control, my scores are consistently lower - mostly "braking" and "turns"....

Mine better with AP but please make sure you set your AP to the most conservative settings:

Forward Collision: "Early", not "Medium" as the blog's recommendation, and especially, not "late"

Following Distance: 7 instead of 1.

Hard braking and turns by Autopilot should not reduce your score. Your scores can be reduced if you to those manually.

Reactions: TheOx
Observations after a few more drives - if you live anywhere around steep hills, you're screwed with respect to the hard braking score because you truly can't use the friction brakes without getting dinged for it. Got a 3.4% hard braking score this morning after stopping gently for pedestrians crossing the street at the bottom of a hill using the brake pedal. Either have to crawl down every hill too steep for regen or run stop signs to allow regen to stop you once the hill tapers off. Or find routes with different geography 😒

Observations after a few more drives - if you live anywhere around steep hills, you're screwed with respect to the hard braking score because you truly can't use the friction brakes without getting dinged for it. Got a 3.4% hard braking score this morning after stopping gently for pedestrians crossing the street at the bottom of a hill using the brake pedal. Either have to crawl down every hill too steep for regen or run stop signs to allow regen to stop you once the hill tapers off. Or find routes with different geography 😒
Short drives also. On a short drive to get lunch Had a truck in the lane next to me cross the lane lines a bit and had to hit the brake once and think that was what dinged me. It was a short drive so considered it a red and took a point off my score. Had it been a longer drive with more braking probably would have had no effect. Curious how much driving Tesla is going to look for also to approve people. I drive quite a bit almost 80 miles a day where others may drive 5miles a day...

Reading all of these people trying to game a "safety score" against some arbitrary algorithm that treats 0.3G braking by a human as unsafe (but not if AP does it) but doesn't care if you do a 1G launch to 100 MPH is super dystopian. The elements in the "score" is are clearly hand picked to align with Tesla's marketing, not with any serious analysis of the primary factors that increase your chance of a collision. Yet here we are trying to figure it out and adjust our driving more to a score than what is actually safe.

• Funny
Reactions: TheOx and THXULTRA
Reading all of these people trying to game a "safety score" against some arbitrary algorithm that treats 0.3G braking as unsafe but doesn't care if you do a 1G launch to 100 MPH is super dystopian.

Driving 200 MPH with your 2021 Tesla Model S Plaid should not lower your scores as long as some criteria are taken care of:

Forward Collision: Make sure the path is clear because, at 200 MPH, an obstacle would be disastrous and not just scores.

Hard Braking: Make sure your path is long enough so you don't have to brake at all with 1-pedal driving.

Aggressive Turning: Make sure your path is straight enough.

Unsafe following: At 200 MPH, it's best to have no cars in front to follow :)

Forced Autopilot Disengagement: Make sure to turn off Autopilot once you want to speed above 90 MPH.

So, provided all those factors are taken care of, driving 200 MPH is safe as reflected by the scores too!