Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Salespeople Misinformed About My Inventory Model S Purchase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I always find the debate won when people start posting "funny" pics instead of arguments. They've run out of any.

Thank you for proving Tesla bungled this roll-out and could have done better. ;)

Now, let's hope Tesla improves and we can continue enjoying an even better company and product.

I always find the debate won when people start posting "funny" pics instead of arguments. They've run out of any.
Humorous non-sequiturs just lighten things up a bit. They're not an admission of defeat.

Thank you for proving Tesla bungled this roll-out and could have done better. ;)
All that's been proven here is that some few Tesla owners have all the emotional maturity of spoiled children. "Class action suit" indeed!

Now, let's hope Tesla improves and we can continue enjoying an even better company and product.
Well here I do agree with you to some extent. Tesla might have handled how they incorporated the new capabilities into the car somewhat better than they did. On the other hand, the only evidence we really have of pissed-off customers are the few people who have shared their ire with us on this forum, whose posts may or may not be the triggers of the few news articles about the whole thing. We have NO idea how big a percentage of Tesla customers are really upset, but I would be willing to wager that it's a very small slice of the customer "pie."

What does being anonymous have anything to do with feeling vilified?

Okay, let me connect the dots for you. If some anonymous person on an Internet forum says something nasty to me, why should I care and give them the power to negatively affect me? I don't know them. They don't know me. We have no relationship, no connection, we mean nothing to each other in the scheme of things. However, if someone in my inner circle (family, close friends) whom I love and respect says something nasty to me, then that's a different ballgame.

There has been plenty of harsh reaction to my posts to go around.

This forum is a kitten and kept well in check by the moderators. If you feel what's happened here is harsh, then again I put forth the suggestion that you might be over reacting and taking things too personal.

The root meaning of a lot of them is just that I'm a bad person for feeling the way I feel.

A complete stranger has the power to make you feel bad? How did you get through high school without ending up in a mental institute? (That's a joke.)

Not sure how I could be taking direct responses to me as too personal. Especially one poster repeatedly telling me that I just wanted to take the sensors away from the people that got them.

Because here you are a number of days later still feeling vilified and that person has probably forgotten what they said and moved on. That's taking things too personal.

I'm not foolish enough to suppose that I can propose anything that would fix it to the degree of making all customers happy now that things have already gone down the way they have. Both you and I know that's an impossible task.

I've already gone over multiple different solutions to how things could have been handled differently from the start. They have various advantages and disadvantages but I think they could have minimized the dissatisfaction. No point in really going over that again.

I put forth that dissatisfaction was already/had already been minimized and thus no need for change on Tesla's part. I think you're under the impression that the vocal group is thousands upon thousands of people. First, it can't be because thousands upon thousands of vehicles weren't produced. If we assume Tesla built 2000 cars during that period - won't have been more by all reports, probably less - and we KNOW that not all of those 2000 cars went to customers (some went to showroom/loaner/test drive vehicle), and we KNOW that there is quite a good amount of owners who aren't upset because they understand that's how Tesla and fast moving tech rolls - just how many upset people does that leave? A minimum.

No I already feel vilified on this forum.

So far I've seen the majority of the criticism aimed at your premise, not at you.

If you feel that you are being portrayed as a villain if a significant number of folks disagree with your stance on a public forum, you might need to reconsider if internet forum participation is for you.

- - - Updated - - -

On the contrary, someone posting an image representing the premise of a thread being derailed, a trainwreck, folks beating a dead horse, etc... are typically commenting on the lack of postive movement in the thread itself.

I typically find folks eager to declare victory (even with a wink), when ignoring the actual context or meaning appear to be more interested in "winning" than meaningful discourse.

Okay, let me connect the dots for you. If some anonymous person on an Internet forum says something nasty to me, why should I care and give them the power to negatively affect me? I don't know them. They don't know me. We have no relationship, no connection, we mean nothing to each other in the scheme of things. However, if someone in my inner circle (family, close friends) whom I love and respect says something nasty to me, then that's a different ballgame.

I think you're over estimating the effect on me. I also think you should look up with vilify means. It doesn't even imply it has to cause actual harm to the target. It just means they have to be talked about in a negative way.

I have every intention of continuing to participate here. Surely you can appreciate that I would prefer not to be the "guy who caused us to lose the use of our sensors."

This forum is a kitten and kept well in check by the moderators. If you feel what's happened here is harsh, then again I put forth the suggestion that you might be over reacting and taking things too personal.

I've participated in many online forums over there years. This one is neither particularly well moderated nor particularly poorly moderated.

I put forth that dissatisfaction was already/had already been minimized and thus no need for change on Tesla's part. I think you're under the impression that the vocal group is thousands upon thousands of people. First, it can't be because thousands upon thousands of vehicles weren't produced. If we assume Tesla built 2000 cars during that period - won't have been more by all reports, probably less - and we KNOW that not all of those 2000 cars went to customers (some went to showroom/loaner/test drive vehicle), and we KNOW that there is quite a good amount of owners who aren't upset because they understand that's how Tesla and fast moving tech rolls - just how many upset people does that leave? A minimum.

I don't disagree with your numbers, never said otherwise. I just also happen to believe that number could have been even smaller. Thus the situation is not at a minimum.

Last edited:
Looks like Tesla is going to charge $500 to those who received the sensor suite before the official announcement. Those owners will be asked to pay $500 in order to maintain the function. Here is the link to a published email from Tesla:

TeslaMotorsOfficial comments on PSA to anyone with a pending Tesla order

Not exactly. They're just applying the same split on the vehicles that got the sensors already as they are to the new vehicles. Safety features everyone gets (no charge). Convenience features (requires the Tech Package which is $500 more now). So vehicles with the sensors and the Tech Package can pay $500 to get the convenience features. The speed assist and lane departure that are active on the cars now are safety features and will remain. There are safety features still coming that they'll get as well without paying.

Mod note: people really need to tone it down.

Hank: no need to take a cheap political shot that has zero to do with thread while at same time complaining about the thread being off the rails.

One post that quoted above post also moved, feel free to repost.

Politics - Quarantine Thread

- - - Updated - - -

I've participated in many online forums over there years. This one is neither particularly well moderated nor particularly poorly moderated.
Thank you for the review. Please let us know what about the moderation you find unacceptable. People have criticized your ideas so far, no personal attacks that I've seen. If someone does please report the post.

Mod note: people really need to tone it down.

Hank: no need to take a cheap political shot that has zero to do with thread while at same time complaining about the thread being off the rails.

Ugh. It actually wasn't a political jab at all..(in fact, I'm a liberal who voted for Obama twice)... It was just a sarcastic meta-example of how some people turn unrelated comments around to support their arguments.

For what it's worth I don't think there can be "victory" for anyone. This isn't policy debate from high school with someones mom doing the judging and someone winning. This is just a discussion of some situations that left some customers unhappy with Tesla. We're never all going to agree. If we all agreed, Tesla would make one vehicle with no options in one paint color with one interior color.

So I ended up selling the car for profit back to a local dealership (they paid $8k more than Tesla's trade in offer). I've preordered the 85D.

I'm a little disappointed that Tesla didn't do more to assist the situation, but sometimes you just have to find a solution yourself.

So I ended up selling the car for profit back to a local dealership (they paid $8k more than Tesla's trade in offer). I've preordered the 85D.

I'm a little disappointed that Tesla didn't do more to assist the situation, but sometimes you just have to find a solution yourself.

So you went from a used demo car with three months of wear on it at a healthy discount to a brand new, custom ordered 85D. Well good for you and for Tesla. By now I'm sure you realize that the 85D might very well be old technology six months after you take delivery of it.

So you went from a used demo car with three months of wear on it at a healthy discount to a brand new, custom ordered 85D. Well good for you and for Tesla. By now I'm sure you realize that the 85D might very well be old technology six months after you take delivery of it.

I accept this. It's the risk we all take. I just couldn't stomach buying a car with old tech after the new autopilot tech was rolling out.

I took the lane assist demo car for a test drive today - it kind of reaffirmed my belief that a lot of demo cars were released right before the announcement so that the dealerships could have the new models to show off.

One can only stay frustrated for so long though, especially with such a happy ending - I just hope anyone else that experienced this found a resolution.

Humorous non-sequiturs just lighten things up a bit. They're not an admission of defeat.

All that's been proven here is that some few Tesla owners have all the emotional maturity of spoiled children. "Class action suit" indeed!

Do you think people photobombing threads with irrelevant insults would ever admit defeat to themselves, let alone anyone else? I don't find it often likely. Usually those pictures are cheap shots meant to gather like-minded jeers of support, without addressing the debate itself. In short, I have found them more often bullying than attempts to lighten the mood for everyone. Same with comments like people need to get a life.

As for the second line I quoted, it is on the same level of veracity as my jestful claim of a debate won. :) Not a very high one. Unless you are talking of the people who can only post colored pictures... ;)

- - - Updated - - -

I'm happy you found a solution and also kept us updated. Too bad Tesla didn't use this as an opportunity to surprise us positively, but that's that.

Last edited:
Do you think people photobombing threads with irrelevant insults would ever admit defeat to themselves, let alone anyone else?

Ok, I admit defeat. It's clear your extreme intelligence, cutting wit, and infallible logic have bested me. I lay here in a pool of my own humiliation. I shall never try to post a funny picture again, as obviously when going up against superior human beings such as yourself, that's equivalent to admitting defeat.

Ok, I admit defeat. It's clear your extreme intelligence, cutting wit, and infallible logic have bested me. I lay here in a pool of my own humiliation. I shall never try to post a funny picture again, as obviously when going up against superior human beings such as yourself, that's equivalent to admitting defeat.

I would much rather discuss the topic itself, you know. And lest it was unclear, if we disagree that's normal, but I think respecting the discussion by sticking to a discussion is the polite thing to do.

Moderator intervention: I'm about to move a whole bunch of posts to snippiness. No one needs to lecture anyone else. So would you all please STOP? Be adults.

And yes, I get the last word on this. Either discuss the topic or go to another thread. Lecturing each other on what can and cannot be said will get your post moved.

For profit as in you got paid more than what you paid or just for $8k less of a loss. I'd be interested in knowing what dealership you sold to.

I made a profit after netting out the federal tax subsidy. Definitely not intentional, but a great ending after tesla didn't want to buy back at a net $0 loss/gain.

Tesla put in an adjusted trade in offer that would have made me net out to thousands in loss. So the difference between the dealership offer and Tesla's was ~$8k