Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Salvage Car Owners Support Group.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FYI, you might also take note that Electrified Garage is now claiming to provide rooting service. Not sure how good or reliable there service is but it might be an option.

eMMC Repair/Upgrade for Model S and X + Optional Root Access

Edit: oops your talking about a Model 3, not S.

I think it is great that 3rd parties are offering the eMMC upgrade but $1,500 seems steep considering they aren't even taking your MCU out or putting it back. Wouldn't it only cost ~$500 more to have Tesla replace your MCU and give you a full 4-year warranty on the whole thing? (So your screen would get replaced as well.)

FYI, you might also take note that Electrified Garage is now claiming to provide rooting service. Not sure how good or reliable there service is but it might be an option.

eMMC Repair/Upgrade for Model S and X + Optional Root Access

Edit: oops your talking about a Model 3, not S.

Yes, the key point here is whether the data inside the eMMC is encrypted in the Model 3. If not, you could very well root it using the same method.

I think it is great that 3rd parties are offering the eMMC upgrade but $1,500 seems steep considering they aren't even taking your MCU out or putting it back. Wouldn't it only cost ~$500 more to have Tesla replace your MCU and give you a full 4-year warranty on the whole thing? (So your screen would get replaced as well.)

Tesla usually won't touch the MCU on a salvage car.

Apparently I was the high bidder on a 2018 dual motor model 3. Now I have a bunch of stuff I should have already known to learn.
My intention was to harvest a battery. Sell whatever might be left. Is there any other avenue besides ebay for listing parts for sale?

Are you referring to me? Last I checked, a Tesla forum is a place to ask questions about Tesla ownership. And I did look around. All I can find on rooting is a bunch of stuff I don’t understand. So thanks for your super helpful response. I’m sure your everyone’s favorite person to be around.
Why yes, I was.

If you had just taken a second or two to glance up that same page, you would have seen my (practically flashing) green signature advertising the process with full explanations, which I went to a great deal of time and effort on, and am the only one to provide this information.

I have no respect for impulsive thoughtless people. Nor for MODS EDITING MY POSTS.

See, that's what makes it all worth it to provide information here. {smirk} This is what has driven off all the tech talent and is why this is a floormat-buying ceramic-coating wasteland. So I'm not helping anymore, Mods.

Last edited:
I think we should relax a bit. After all, this is a forum to share information and help each other, and nobody has any obligation to answer any question. We do this out of kindness.

I can understand people like @rooter, that has spent a massive amount of time writing very comprehensive wikis for us to learn, for free. Most hackers here don't share knowledge and charge for help.

I can also understand people like @jamesdens, that most likely has never worked with a unix system before, has spent a lot of money on a supercool car, to find out that the stelar features (AP, supercharge...) might be disabled tomorrow, and nobody told him that. I would be very nervous as well.

So let's try to be polite, if you don't like a post you don't answer, and people try to search info before posting questions and opening duplicated threads. And we'll all be happy :)

The nature of this is that everything I've posted, I have had to figure out all by myself. This first of all requires education and years of study in the fundamentals, and takes self-discipline and perseverance to begin to master this particular set of hardware and software. So, I don't suffer fools lightly, few hackers do. It's how things are. All it took here was just a cursory glance around, I hadn't asked much. Yes it is one incident which deserves to be water under the bridge.

This is the reason that ppl like James have to pay others $1,500 to fix their systems, who simply use the information that I've published. Then again, I'm always surprised that esoteric and incredibly advanced electronic devices can be acquired and used by shoe salesmen... so you can't count on that as an assessment. Either you actually put in some effort, or you pay; I guess that's fair so I haven't complained about these guys charging so much.

Second though, none here will see it but Bruce sneakily modified my post. And it's not the first (or tenth) time. That is a bad sign, and is what's done it for me. Notice that all the tech types are gone? Good reasons for that. Bruce sees my view as 'hatred'... ah, well. Don't look around to see what your actions have caused.

Last edited:
Well, we all have a body, we don't fully understand, we are allowed to have it, and there are doctors that help us with it whenever there are problems for a lot of money. And the doctors might be giving us some very basic advice, but since we didn't spend all these years studying medicine, we simply don't know, and they rip us off. Especially in the US.

I just don't think we should criticize people just because they are ignorant in some field. After all, nobody knows everything.

Sooooo.

I’d like to bring the discussion back to salvage vehicles and software updates.

My salvage M3 hasn’t been able to update since I got it in October. The progress bar indicates an update is about halfway downloaded, but hasn’t progressed at all in spite of WiFi access. My car DOES supercharge. All other functions consistent with that software version (Summon, enhanced autopilot, navigation, etc.) are all working. As of a few days ago, I get “software update required. Contact Tesla Service” message.

I kinda want the upgraded software at some point, as it may enable more FSD capabilities that the car has.

Do I take it in for an update?

And how are you guys determining if a car has been ‘blacklisted’ by Tesla? I just thought all salvage vehicles were blacklisted, but several posts back someone has a salvage car that is somehow unknown to Tesla. “Stealth Salvage”?
image.jpg

image.jpg

It's a pity. It was a really comprehensive guide with detailed explanations. A fine piece of writing.
Luckily I took some screenshots on my iPad when it was live, share them if you need them.
I thought it would be easier read on the laptop as why I went looking it again.

I have very limited knowledge of electronics and Linux, but I am going to attempt to root my car myself as it is salvaged and currently not driving/charging.

SC won’t perform any diagnostics for me. The car sat there for over a month with no contact for 3 1/2 weeks until I phoned! Then I had to go collect it again, another 4 hour round trip still none the wiser as to the problem.

I’m not sure I will succeed in gaining access but, nothing ventured nothing gained! :D

Just tried to take this up on my laptop to have another read through it. No longer exists which isn't really a surprise I guess
Wikiversity shows the site was moved by Quantum 9900, which I believe is @rooter to:
https://beta.wikiversity.org/w/inde..._-_Rooting_the_Firmware&action=edit&redlink=1
This site is empty. Then a user named "Sotiale" removed the original page due to a "broken redirect".

I'm guessing @rooter just got tired of answering questions. Honestly I can't say I blame him given all the interest that is coming about due to Tesla's refusal to just create a good way for people to fix/maintain their cars without having to have Tesla do the work. I do hope this comes back though. Was a great repository of info.

Luckily I took some screenshots on my iPad when it was live, share them if you need them.

I have very limited knowledge of electronics and Linux, but I am going to attempt to root my car myself as it is salvaged and currently not driving/charging.

SC won’t perform any diagnostics for me. The car sat there for over a month with no contact for 3 1/2 weeks until I phoned! Then I had to go collect it again, another 4 hour round trip still none the wiser as to the problem.

I’m not sure I will succeed in gaining access but, nothing ventured nothing gained! :D
Make sure you have a way to persist of your root method before you put that chip back on....

It's a pity. It was a really comprehensive guide with detailed explanations. A fine piece of writing.
Thanks all.

Actually what happened was I found that they would not accept my pictures. 6 years ago when I was building my dad's Wikipedia page (the 'father of ground-penetrating radar'), suddenly editors started taking down all the pictures and memoirs (books in WikiCommons) I'd posted. I was entitled since I am his heir and had donated them to commons as he would have liked. I had the donation statement in the metadata of each document but the editors did not care. His memoirs, my grandfather's memoirs (attorney), pictures from when he worked at the RadLab during WWII, all were allowable under law and I documented in metadata but the editors would not listen, and there is no provision for appeal nor ombudsman. His page remains incomplete to this day due to my distress over their behavior, and I've stopped all donations to Wikipedia.

So when I went to post my first picture on Wikiversity, a 'bot popped up saying it can't determine whether this picture is allowed. So I tried to post the same picture in a larger size it popped up and said it appears that I am 'trying to do something destructive'. Well, I have seen all this before and in the discussion page for the rooting article explained what happened. They congratulated me on my first edit, and on my tenth edit, but run off those willing to put time and effort into substantive technical and scientific content. Foolish. Editors say they "hate red links" and my dad's article is full of them; I would have done those articles too but not now. Let's see any of those editors try to do justice to some of that technical content... nah, they're all about armchair sniping.

I can't put the article in DIYE because Cloudflare stupidly thinks my deconstruction of the shadow file is an attempt to do a SQL injection attack. I could host it myself, but why? I'd have to figure out how to set up MediaWiki, and then a bunch of ppl would just use the info to make money as they already have.

I am all about open-source and freely sharing information; this is the foundation of science. But almost every minute of my time is taken up by a housing development I'm doing. I haven't figured out where to put my articles, and am put off here by Mah sneakily editing my posts. (He doesn't mind ppl using last names) Anyway, this place uses Cloudflare too.

Last edited:
I am all about open-source and freely sharing information; this is the foundation of science. But almost every minute of my time is taken up by a housing development I'm doing. I haven't figured out where to put my articles, and am put off here by Mah sneakily editing my posts. (He doesn't mind ppl using last names) Anyway, this place uses Cloudflare too.

Why not try a github repo? You can use the wiki with markup language to write articles, or you can just upload the articles and people gets them by cloning your repo. I don't think there will be any kind of problems there.

If I come across any other ideas, I'll let you know. And if you need a hand writing or translating, I'm willing to help.

• Helpful
Reactions: Dave EV

Thanks, I got a pdf of the whole rooting page ;)

Good luck with the rooting. I guess the critical part is the soldering/desoldering without breaking anything. Make sure to do it carefully, or to pay well someone that will do it carefully. And keep a copy of your eMMC data, just in case.

Reactions: Calvinb