Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

San Diego Area Superchargers (location speculation)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So here is 5638 Morehouse Drive. It's in the heart of the Qualcomm office park.

First you drive up a little hill if coming from the west.

1111-SDSC-001.jpg

Welcome to 5638. There's nothing there. It's an empty parking lot across the street from Qualcomm's main complex.

1111-SDSC-002.jpg

Vast emptiness.
1111-SDSC-004.jpg

Looking back to Morehouse Drive and the big Qualcomm buildings across the street (where there is a huge parking garage which no doubt has lots of non-Tesla chargers).

1111-SDSC-005.jpg

Another view around where the mythical "5638" address would be.
1111-SDSC-006.jpg

One more shot.
1111-SDSC-007.jpg

Now, down the street to the west is the big intersection with Scranton, and on the other side of the street is the entrance to a very insanely congested retail area with restaurants, fast food, food court, shops, Staples, yadda yadda. This parking lot is CRAZY. People are cut-throat especially during lunch hour. No frickin' way a SuperCharger would last in here, the ICErs would see to that.

1111-SDSC-008.jpg

So, I remain skeptical that a SuperCharger is going in to 5638 Morehouse Drive. It's nowhere near services, it's too far a walk for some folks, and makes no sense unless Mr. Jacobs (Qualcomm money) is paying for it for the benefit of Q employees.

So, I remain skeptical that a SuperCharger is going in to 5638 Morehouse Drive. It's nowhere near services, it's too far a walk for some folks, and makes no sense unless Mr. Jacobs (Qualcomm money) is paying for it for the benefit of Q employees.

Thanks for scouting. The source has said that the address was actually approximate, but it seems like you covered the area pretty well. If anyone else goes that way, maybe they could check through the congested Sorrento Court area to see if anything is going on there.

"Reasonable location" if you have an ICE car and like parking in SuperCharger spaces and disappearing for hours.

Ok, I'm done. I've stated my concerns. I'd rather Tesla put the chargers up in the empty parking lot across from Qualcomm than put 'em in the Sorrento Court parking lot. Sorrento Court would make San Juan Capistrano look like a desert island.

But, enough. I'll just wait and see what Tesla does.

Thanks for the scouting.

I never said that their was something under construction or that I had an exact address, only that something was coming to the area.

I do have info about this from two independent sources that are reliable and trusted. Keep an eye out! As I said, in the other thread, I bet a free charge on a Supercharger that something is coming to this area "soon." Now that may be a Tesla "soon," but I put the chances at 99% that a Supercharger is coming. :biggrin:

As I recall, @Cottonwood predicted the Truckee CA Supercharger long before it was on Tesla's "official" map. At the time I expressed skepticism. Turned out I was wrong and he was right. So I am not going to bet against him.

Thank you for the credit.

I don't claim to be the oracle of Superchargers, but this post explains how I stumbled on to some of this information: Supercharger - Hooksett NH Rest Areas - Page 8. The Qualcomm source for this site is independent of, and it addition to, the source in that reference for hints towards this Qualcomm location.

Not sure if it's related but when I search county permits for the term "tesla" I come up with a Hazmat permit for Qualcomm for this address: 10105 pacific heights blvd
not even quite sure why it comes up in the search but it seems close to the speculated address.

Qualcomm is in the midst of a large construction project in that area. A new parking structure (complete), a new office building (very close to completion), and another new building (under construction). Surely there are a bunch of permits for this project, but mostly with the city, since this is within the city limits.

San Diego Supercharger

The Tesla Supercharger Team wrote me today (12/5/14) the following:

"We have chosen a location in San Diego and we expect the site to open early next year."

"Early next year" beats "Coming soon," but still leaves plenty of waiting room. The real news is that the team has chose a site. Rumor had it that the selection posse was in town recently. It sounds as if they made a deal.

I didn't find this thread in a search before I started a new thread today (12/5/14) called "San Diego Supercharger". I heard from The Tesla Supercharger Team the following:

We have chosen a location in San Diego and we expect the site to open early next year.

Rumor had it that the team was in town recently. They must have struck a deal. "Early next year" beats "Coming soon."

So now begins the hunt through city (county?) permitting offices to find out more.

Not sure where to turn though... or whether San Diego even puts their permits online....

The City of San Diego doesn't put their permits online, it seems. There was a rumor of a supercharger site in Carlsbad, but their online permit search was completely non-functional last I checked.

Why do you need to pull permits, when we already know the location? It's in Morehouse Drive, Sorrento Valley, opposite Qualcomm headquarters.

I don't think we're all 100% sure of that information. Did you get confirmation?

What was posted earlier in this thread was apparently an approximate location, while a specific location a couple blocks away (not on Morehouse) was posted on Facebook. Still, seems like an odd location, so I'd like to see some proof.