Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sat Nav Useless

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Actually I use it more than my phone now. quite like the voice commands (same as the phone, but a bit more useful in the car)

Would be nice to pay a bit extra to see traffic (SR+)
Would be nice to get it to tilt, rather than get a top down view.
Would be nice to be able to send destination from the phone.

But other than that I've found it just about the same as my phone. You can set it to redirect if you save x minutes, mine is set to 5.

You can use waze from the Tesla browser. Just type in tesla waze in the browswer. Also, here's a YouTube video showing how to do it.
I tried Teslawaze in a friends Model S the other day. It doesn't seem to be the same Waze as the one I use on my phone. For example, it was trying to tell me all the gantries on the M25 have live speed cameras (which they don't). On my phone, the speed camera database is much more accurate.

Also, there was no audible warning with tesla waze.

Why isn't it the same as the app? I'll have to use my phone for Waze if it's the same when I try it in my Model 3.

I’ve had the “take the wrong exit at the roundabout” instruction a couple of times so far in 1500 miles. The funny thing is that the map route on the screen is correct, it’s just the voice commands that are wrong, so there must be a disagreement between the various parts of the system.

Apart from those two islands, everything else has been fine. Generally I still feel it’s better than the nav on the Leaf or Kona, but I may be being swayed by the lovely big screen :)

I learned fairly quickly to ignore the voice and look at the screen. I've been told to go right when it's a left turn...

The routing is acceptable generally. I note it's started to avoid the local bypass since the last map update but that's not an entirely bad thing as the route there is a 20mph road with speed humps (that's now gettting very busy as all the satnavs route cars across it, I'm sure the residents must be thrilled..).

I did have one where it was actively avoiding the M6 and following country lanes for miles. It's like it saw the roadworks and decided that it was better to take a winding route through the country instead of just follow the roadworks in a straight line. I've had google maps do similar things in the past though.

I tried Teslawaze in a friends Model S the other day. It doesn't seem to be the same Waze as the one I use on my phone. For example, it was trying to tell me all the gantries on the M25 have live speed cameras (which they don't). On my phone, the speed camera database is much more accurate.

Also, there was no audible warning with tesla waze.

Why isn't it the same as the app? I'll have to use my phone for Waze if it's the same when I try it in my Model 3.

It looks like it's 'waze' in partial-name only. Seems to be using openstreetmap maps and scraping traffic/hazard info from the waze servers. I don't think it's affiliated with waze officially at all.

• Informative
Reactions: Dangerous Fish
I have generally found Tesla navigation to be quite effective and when I have decided that I know better, I have usually ended up in a traffic jam, due to some incident or road works. Other benefits of the built in navigation is that the navigation will pick suitable charging stops and when necessary, will warm the battery pack as you approach a supercharger, to ensure the highest charging rates.
It may be worth checking if the navigation maps are up to date in your car - navigation updates are delivered separately from software updates and invariably via WiFi, not the cellular connection.
You can report navigation errors using the voice command "bug report" and a short description of the problem.

I have only had the car two days but have found to the navigation to be as good as my audi's and better than the mercedes. I use radarbot on my phone to notify me of speed cameras, mobile cameras, roadworks and accidents. I put it on in the background when I set out of the locality and it reads out the message via bluetooth and is very clear.

Coming back from some friends near Birmingham today it did a strange thing. It routed me off the main road I was on, down to an island, take the fourth exit, so back up the road I came down, then turn back onto the original main road!

No congestion, just confusion :confused:

On the A38 I had many instances of phantom braking.

I *think* there are 4 map updates a year. its a big download, so probably helps if the car has WiFi periodically. That doesn't guarantee good routing of course ... by comparison I've used Waze a couple of days after a bypass opened and it already knew about it.

Dunno how often your Audi maps were updated, but I owned 3 VWs before Tesla and in that time my maps updates were "never" :(
waze is updated by users of roads then algorithmically updates if people are traveling on a path more often. so any mistakes are quickly edited by other waze users or the user itself. its up to date something like 98% of the time whilst google maps is something like 80% its also one of the fastest reroutes iv ever seen.

I currently have a car with satnav but choose to use a windscreen mounted Tomtom instead since the maps are very good and the traffic data is fantastic. I think the traffic comes from other users and also from one of the mobile networks based on speed and position of their handsets. They had this system long before others had crowdsourced traffic data and its been amazing for me. Was rather hoping I would finally be able to retire it with a Tesla :(

Wouldn't it be nice if Tesla were to put Waze into the car as standard

There was talk of that a couple of years ago (as in "sufficient talk across the community that I think it is highly likely there was some actual Tesla-Waze negotiation going on"). But it didn't happen ...

I wonder if part of the reason was the huge price hike that Google did recently, which they probably had planned back-then and if so would have impacted any negotiations at that time ...

Musk is set on "doing his own", maybe that will turn out well, but not for immediately delivery.

Was rather hoping I would finally be able to retire it with a Tesla

Tesla has Traffic data ... some times it has been better than Waze, but in the main Waze has been better for me, and Waze has a lot more in terms of Hazards (Police, Cars stopped on road, Roadworks, potholes even ...) and a bunch more features (e.g. "When would be the best time to leave for likely shortest journey time" and ability to send-a-friend a Route so they can figure out when you will arrive, if delayed, without having to update them)

And there was me hoping Tesla nav would be an improvement on my Audi nav, which regularly misses routes. I thought Tesla was google map based therefore always up to date? Was looking forward to that.

Although nothing will ever be worse than the nav I had on my previous Discovery Sport which I’m convinced was set up to use off road, single track roads and anything else to use LR’s off roading skills. If there was a complicated route, it would use it.

Parallel lives.
I have an Audi and the wife has a Discovery Sport and we are EXACTLY the same as you.
The Audi Nav is alright (particularly the Google traffic integration) but I'm never confident in it's destination information, a number of times a postcode destination has been completely (like 30 miles) out.
The Disco, oh my god, if there's a farm track or single track road it will choose that over a motorway EVERY SINGLE TIME.
I've lost count of the number of times I've rummaged through the navigation settings convinced I must have set it to avoid all sensible roads only to discover it's set perfectly sensibly.