Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Saw the New Nissan Leaf 2nd Gen - Not a bad car at all...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Because I only buy cars that are an overall improvement over what I have, and the Leaf is not.

Main requirement for anything I'm going to daily drive: Must completely handle stop and go traffic without me needing to touch the pedals or tell it to resume. Leaf will stop, but not resume. There are a litany of other reasons I won't personally buy it (it's front wheel drive, it's too slow, it's a weirdo derp pod), but I hope they sell a hell of a lot of them.

Lots of places I will drive my Leaf vs my tesla.

I agree, to me it is more attractive than the Bolt. I’m glad to see Nissan has re-styled the Leaf, I think the new look will have greater appeal and the larger battery of course makes it more functional. But I don’t think it is sufficient to make the car a success in the market, unfortunately. With about 150 miles of range for $30K (base), is that a low enough price to compete against the 239 mile range of the $37.5K Bolt and the 210 mile base range of the $35K Model 3?

Certainly the new Leaf will sell, but I fear only in modest quantities. If Tesla was producing 10,000 Model 3’s a week right now I think the new Leaf would fail. But we are probably at least a year away from that kind of Model 3 production volume. So that will help Nissan.
I bet the 200+ mile Leaf coming next year will be cost competitive.

Central...
Can't think of any dealers in central texas that are participating in the rebate. I know in Killeen when I asked they said no. I bought my 2015 back in July as a new model so I got it at the dealer here in Houston. I'll be selling it soon when the new Tesla gets here, no need in having all of these EVs.