Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Scan My Tesla, a CANBUS reader for Android

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As I've been using SMT for more than a year now I thought of one potential improvement that I may not have mentioned previously. Apps I've used with previous cars like Torque Pro have a setting where the app automatically turns Bluetooth on when opening the app & then turns Bluetooth off when closing the app. @amund7 would it be possible to add something like that to SMT? Since SMT is the only thing I use Bluetooth for on my Android tablet I've gotten into the habit of turning it on & off. And since the OBDLink MX+ likes to crash I always turn off Bluetooth as soon as I close SMT so the tablet will disconnect from the MX+. It would be nice to save those steps...

Does that help with the OBDLINK hangup issue? I have always just left it on. But yeah it's a good idea, especially if you had turned it off & forgot, the app will just not work, and not give you good hints about why. It should just turn it on automatically.

I wanted to both conceal the lime green OBDLink LX and stop me accidentally pressing the pairing button when I reached behind me to plug and unplug the device. I designed the below for 3D printing. I believe the MX+ is identical in shape and layout so it should work with that as well. If anybody wants the STL let me know and I can try to post here or IM it.

PXL_20210915_213145519.jpg
PXL_20210915_214300701.jpg

@amund7 , This may helps @phaphaphooey too ... based on your remarks above I downloaded the OBDLINK app. I tested it but could not get the "connection" to work where I could verify the deep sleep mode option (BTW, I had trouble figuring out where that was. Can you point to the settings/preference section where it is at? TIA)
Actually I see it say connected to tool but could not connect to car.
It was not apparent to me that you can ONLY connect to the OBDLINK LX and change its settings?
I also could not find the deep sleep mode when looking last night. To connect to your adapter there's a Communications menu in the settings where you can find the adapter.
Does that help with the OBDLINK hangup issue? I have always just left it on. But yeah it's a good idea, especially if you had turned it off & forgot, the app will just not work, and not give you good hints about why. It should just turn it on automatically.
It still hangs up periodically. It seems to happen in bunches. I've also found that whenever our car has an autopilot freak out with the red steering wheel & then it refuses to let us engage Autosteer again if I unplug the MX+ we immediately get back access to autopilot.

Maybe I'm wrong, I thought the sleep/deep sleep settings were in that app. At least there are AT commands for it, I had two people with issues (probably on a certain firmware or batch of OBDLINKs) that had the deep sleep enabled, it would never wake up again, according to OBDLINK support because device looks for 12v voltage fluctuation as you start an ICE engine, that the Tesla does not do. I did not add those AT commands into the app, because only those 2 people reported it, and I have never heard of the problem before or after. Remembering more of this story now, it is probably not a good idea to use that mode, since you can never wake the thing up afterwards (I believe you can wake it by pressing the pair button though)

• Informative
Reactions: hybridbear
Is it possible, that a OBD reader constantly connected to the OBD adapter of a Model 3 causes vampire drain?

My Model 3 (Gen II) has a constant 180watt power draw (read with Scan My Tesla), meaning ~5% a day. Sentry mode is disabled and I can't figure out what is causing the draw.

Is it possible, that a OBD reader constantly connected to the OBD adapter of a Model 3 causes vampire drain?

My Model 3 (Gen II) has a constant 180watt power draw (read with Scan My Tesla), meaning ~5% a day. Sentry mode is disabled and I can't figure out what is causing the draw.
Mine never has (cheap nasty BT now lovely shiny CANserver), it's most likely the cable you use (although again mine was nasty and cheap from Aliexpress)

My question was more intended as "is it even technically possible, that an OBD device connected to a Tesla can cause vampire drain?"
I would think not, but not 100% sure.

It depends how the adapter's cable is wired. Most of them pull the 12V required to run the OBD adapter from the same 12V power that runs the accessory socket in the center console. So, for example, that is live when Sentry is used which means the OBD adapter will be on.

My OBD adapter has a "sleep" mode, but I'm not sure what the criteria is that sets that. Even at full power I don't believe the adapter draws more than 500mA or so.

EDIT - Forgot this applies only to Model 3 (and likely Y).

It depends how the adapter's cable is wired. Most of them pull the 12V required to run the OBD adapter from the same 12V power that runs the accessory socket in the center console. So, for example, that is live when Sentry is used which means the OBD adapter will be on.

My OBD adapter has a "sleep" mode, but I'm not sure what the criteria is that sets that. Even at full power I don't believe the adapter draws more than 500mA or so.

EDIT - Forgot this applies only to Model 3 (and likely Y).

No you are right, some Model S/X harnesses will leave the OBD2 constantly powered, which is completely unneccessary IMO, as there will be no data in there. Same as any other accessory pulling 12v current, your high voltage battery will have to wake up more often and recharge the 12v battery. So yes, any constantly powered 12v accessory WILL create vampire drain, to some extent. However an inactive OBD2 adapter I can't believe will pull more than very few milliamps, so probably not even measurable compared to the rest of the car's system (even asleep). Didn't Bjørn recently say a Model 3 loses around 1% per day? But enabling sentry mode for instance, will keep a lot of computers awake, I believe the autopilot computers have to stay awake (to patch the camera signals through), they are water cooled, so the whole cooling system have to circulate. Well that is speculation on my part, but still, it will eat a lot of power over time.

Reactions: hybridbear
No you are right, some Model S/X harnesses will leave the OBD2 constantly powered, which is completely unneccessary IMO, as there will be no data in there. Same as any other accessory pulling 12v current, your high voltage battery will have to wake up more often and recharge the 12v battery. So yes, any constantly powered 12v accessory WILL create vampire drain, to some extent. However an inactive OBD2 adapter I can't believe will pull more than very few milliamps, so probably not even measurable compared to the rest of the car's system (even asleep). Didn't Bjørn recently say a Model 3 loses around 1% per day? But enabling sentry mode for instance, will keep a lot of computers awake, I believe the autopilot computers have to stay awake (to patch the camera signals through), they are water cooled, so the whole cooling system have to circulate. Well that is speculation on my part, but still, it will eat a lot of power over time.
I’ve found with our S that the OBD adapter is alive all the time. But I’ve also found there is data. I can open SMT on my tablet before I’ve walked up to the car & it will connect & report a limited # of data points. But this has always been with Sentry Mode on, so perhaps if Sentry Mode is off there would be no data even if the adapter stays powered.

Guys! I found the culprit of my issue. I am using an app, that controls the charging of my Model 3 at home using the Tesla API (for cheapest hours) and even tho the developer explained and assured me directly that there is no way their API calls are keeping the car awake, other than when needed, it was not true. As soon as I removed their API token, my car went to sleep in like 15 mins after locking the doors. The OBD device, which is always connected (with the Model 3 adapter harness) was also not reachable, when it was sleeping (no power to it most likely).

So the constant 180watt power drain was gone, as I lost 1% of battery over 9 hours of sleep.

• Informative
Reactions: JWardell and amund7
Amund;

Saw another good Bjorn vid recently, on running SMT on a MY.

He was using the same brand cable and LX reader I had.

He seemed mildly frustrated with the disconnects and dropouts.

My reader is easily reset even when driving, so it does not bother me anymore.

Do you have any thoughts on a placement for the reader on an MY?

Perhaps, for all applications, wire a momentary switch into the harness?

SMT is still the best app I have found for my car.

Has anyone figured out the pinouts for the Plaid or Refresh MS?

Seems to be quite a few reports of pack failures.

Sure would like to be able to run SMT before I get one of these cars..
Yep! Check it out here:

And how to build your own cable:

• Helpful
Reactions: aerodyne
Amund;

Saw another good Bjorn vid recently, on running SMT on a MY.

He was using the same brand cable and LX reader I had.

He seemed mildly frustrated with the disconnects and dropouts.

My reader is easily reset even when driving, so it does not bother me anymore.

Do you have any thoughts on a placement for the reader on an MY?

Perhaps, for all applications, wire a momentary switch into the harness?

SMT is still the best app I have found for my car.

Yes, it's the timeless dilemma. OBDLINK is the only device fast enough to give smooth screen updates. Cheaper ELM's will give you less headache, but also choppy updates and choppy logs.

OBDLINK is working on solving this, for years now. I hope one day they will be able to fix it with firmware updates, but who knows.

But support for JWardell Canserver is now in beta for both platforms, will go to production on IOS soon. That's a fast and trouble free device, and it has lots of extra features too.

Placement would be the same as in a Model 3, don't you think? I just have the OBD2 plug wire coming out below the plastic panel, OBDLINK on the floor right behind my seat, I can unplug it with one hand without looking. But lately I'm using Canserver for testing, that one never needs any attention.

Yes, it's the timeless dilemma. OBDLINK is the only device fast enough to give smooth screen updates. Cheaper ELM's will give you less headache, but also choppy updates and choppy logs.

OBDLINK is working on solving this, for years now. I hope one day they will be able to fix it with firmware updates, but who knows.

But support for JWardell Canserver is now in beta for both platforms, will go to production on IOS soon. That's a fast and trouble free device, and it has lots of extra features too.

Placement would be the same as in a Model 3, don't you think? I just have the OBD2 plug wire coming out below the plastic panel, OBDLINK on the floor right behind my seat, I can unplug it with one hand without looking. But lately I'm using Canserver for testing, that one never needs any attention.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Yes, location same for MY as M3.

I'll leave the current setup for the next owner, and get the CAN server for the refresh MS I have ordered...

Reactions: amund7
Thanks for the quick reply.

Yes, location same for MY as M3.

I'll leave the current setup for the next owner, and get the CAN server for the refresh MS I have ordered...
I have a refresh Model S that I would like to use Scan My Tesla on. Exactly what is a "CAN Server"? Is there a cable like there used to be for the older Model S that allows you to plug in the OBDLink? Thanks.