Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Scan My Tesla, a CANBUS reader for Android

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last edited:
Reactions: JWardell
I have a refresh Model S that I would like to use Scan My Tesla on. Exactly what is a "CAN Server"? Is there a cable like there used to be for the older Model S that allows you to plug in the OBDLink? Thanks.

Plaid and Palladium is still very new for us. I don't have all the facts straight yet, but I am pretty sure that
a) you need a specially built cable, as the buses have moved from where they used to be
b) you will get some info by choosing model 3/Y in the app, but I'm not sure how much works and doesn't.

Just as a heads up that you might not get the best app experience yet with these cars. But we can only improve if some are willing to test it and give us feedback, that would be great!

Maybe some of the vendors can have ready made cables, ask GPS America.

Reactions: beachmiles
Is there any 12V battery health info available @amund7? Prior to the Tesla I had a Ford PHEV & EV & with the Fords I could see data for 12V battery voltage, SOC, age, etc which helped avoid a dead 12V battery. Our Tesla is over 5 years old now & still has its original 12V battery, so I'm curious if there is any data that could be pulled by SMT to help us keep an eye on 12V battery health.

Also, is there any additional data that isn't displayed in SMT that could potentially be displayed?

And any update on the Beta version for Android & its development? I know we had talked about it in prior months so I'm just curious about how it's coming.

Reactions: beachmiles
12V battery health info
I've wondered the same having read of so many cases where 12v has let owners down.

My previous non Tesla EVs have all had 12v battery issues and one had a 12v status indicator that said all was good even though the 12v battery was knackered.

It would be great to have some indication about how the 12v battery is doing!

Reactions: hybridbear
Is there any 12V battery health info available @amund7? Prior to the Tesla I had a Ford PHEV & EV & with the Fords I could see data for 12V battery voltage, SOC, age, etc which helped avoid a dead 12V battery. Our Tesla is over 5 years old now & still has its original 12V battery, so I'm curious if there is any data that could be pulled by SMT to help us keep an eye on 12V battery health.

Also, is there any additional data that isn't displayed in SMT that could potentially be displayed?

And any update on the Beta version for Android & its development? I know we had talked about it in prior months so I'm just curious about how it's coming.

I have no easy answer to 12v battery health, you can see the voltage and amps from the DC-DC converter, not isolated to the 12v battery, if you turn off all 12v accessories you should be able to make out how many amps it's charging, and at what voltage. But no easy '12v health' readings unfortunately.

About the apps, we now have a pretty big crisis on the classic Android app, where it can no longer access the folder it used to write logs to, because of new Android rules for Android 11 and 12, I have to find a solution for that first. I will get back to the IOS + Android beta soon after that has been resolved.

I have no easy answer to 12v battery health, you can see the voltage and amps from the DC-DC converter, not isolated to the 12v battery, if you turn off all 12v accessories you should be able to make out how many amps it's charging, and at what voltage. But no easy '12v health' readings unfortunately.

About the apps, we now have a pretty big crisis on the classic Android app, where it can no longer access the folder it used to write logs to, because of new Android rules for Android 11 and 12, I have to find a solution for that first. I will get back to the IOS + Android beta soon after that has been resolved.
Sorry to hear about the other issues! It's too bad the car doesn't track & measure a 12V SOC to be able to see.

Sorry to hear about the other issues! It's too bad the car doesn't track & measure a 12V SOC to be able to see.
It does somewhere, otherwise it wouldn't know when to warn you that it needs a service soon. I just don't think you need to look at that value in data logger or dash. If stock software fails sometime to recognize issue before it will happen - you would fail it too.

Reactions: israndy
Plaid and Palladium is still very new for us. I don't have all the facts straight yet, but I am pretty sure that
a) you need a specially built cable, as the buses have moved from where they used to be
b) you will get some info by choosing model 3/Y in the app, but I'm not sure how much works and doesn't.

Just as a heads up that you might not get the best app experience yet with these cars. But we can only improve if some are willing to test it and give us feedback, that would be great!

Maybe some of the vendors can have ready made cables, ask GPS America.

EVoffer now offers a cable for palladium 2021 S/X cars, as well as the new can connectors hidden in 2021 3/Y, and it does support multiple busses with canserver too!

EVoffer now offers a cable for palladium 2021 S/X cars, as well as the new can connectors hidden in 2021 3/Y, and it does support multiple busses with canserver too!

They are showing the connector as being a pass through however the picture showing the location as just having a plug.

They are showing the connector as being a pass through however the picture showing the location as just having a plug.

Unclear what your sentence means regarding the location/plug. What picture are you talking about? This is what that page shows.
RSwQfMs.jpg

Unclear what your sentence means regarding the location/plug. What picture are you talking about? This is what that page shows.
RSwQfMs.jpg
He means the below drawing depicting where the diag connector is - which this is correct for the refresh S. It's not like the Model 3/Y where you have to disconnect two plugs and pass the cable through them, it's just an open-ended connector. So not sure why the product is built as a pass-through (I built a custom cable with just two ends, not three, and it works fine).

TMS-Diagnostic.jpeg

He means the below drawing depicting where the diag connector is - which this is correct for the refresh S. It's not like the Model 3/Y where you have to disconnect two plugs and pass the cable through them, it's just an open-ended connector. So not sure why the product is built as a pass-through (I built a custom cable with just two ends, not three, and it works fine).

View attachment 755454
Thank you for the great explanation and clarity.

@JWardell mentioned the "2021 3/Y" and the image from that EVOffer page show both the S/X and the 3/Y ** ... so my guess is that this one cable just works for both sets of cars with their two methods of connecting. Wonder if it was cheaper to buy a supply of those combo cables like that instead of two separate types.

** Oddly the EVOffere page for the 3 nor the Y show this cable tho! EVOffer 3 / EVOffer Y -- I'll probably contact them to ask since there will be a Y in my family's future this year.
EVoffer now offers a cable for palladium 2021 S/X cars, as well as the new can connectors hidden in 2021 3/Y, and it does support multiple busses with canserver too! <snip>

WlUJWAg.jpg

EVOffer responses:
* We have made a connector pair because after you have connected to the CAN wire, you can still connect to other devices
* We have other products which will also connect to the port so we are leaving the CAN connector available for other usages
* So you can connect it to the diagnostic tools and other add-ons
--------------------------

_ _ EVOffer responses:
* It does not support Model 3 & Y at the moment
* For Model 3/Y
* There are no power from the connector
* But the CAN are in the same pin
* We are finding some smart ways to get the power
_ _ scottf200 response:
* If there is no power then OBD II BT connectors like OBDLINK will not work? Products - Diagnostic USB to OBD2 Scan Tools
_ _ EVOffer response:
* Correct
_ _ scottf200 response:
* Would be fantastics (!) if all this could be written up for an explanation to people on your webpage like in the FAQ FAQ - EVOffer (Tesla Offer)
_ _ EVOffer response:
* Thanks for the questions and we will explain more on our product page

I came to ask about this very issue. Sorry it's a problem, but glad to hear you're looking into it.

Reactions: amund7

View attachment 755454
This is Raymond from EVOffer. Maybe we used an incorrect term. We actually meant the connector leave the same open ended connector after the connection.

Regarding the wire for model 3 and Y, we will make them available very soon. There is a connector for the humidity and light sensor which we can tap the power for devices like OBD-II.

Hi guys,

Following the PLAID topic. I have a plaid 2022 and I did order a harness from gpstrackingcanada and tried to use Scan My Tesla. It didnt work that great as i pulled no informations but Amundi pointed me that the data as changed format and its more like the 3/Y now.

I Will Do some testing today.

Jay

Reactions: Darmie
<snip>
ScanMyTesla / CANserver users:
FYI, EVoffer added a page for the Y/3. The picture on that page will be updated when they have the new cable. Past EVoffer comment: "We have found a power source nearby. We will add a pair of connector{s} for powering up the OBD device"

>>>>
Model 3 2021+
  • Made in USA built after 2020/10/05; or
  • Made in China built after 2020/12/28
Model Y 2021+
  • Made in USA built after 2021/01/13; or
  • Made in China built after 2020/12/14
<<<<

• Informative
Reactions: amund7