Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Scan My Tesla, a CANBUS reader for Android

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Where do the CSV logs get stored? I don't find them anywhere when I click on "View Logs"

That dialog is very stupid, I can't figure out how to make it start in the correct folder. Once you find it though, it remembers the folder for next time.

You probably have to click 'show internal storage' in the menu, then goto your phone's main folder, there you can find the ScanMyTesla folder.

Comma AI Cabana tool?
cabana comma ai - Google Search

A panda and a cabana: How to get started car hacking with comma.ai

Cabana's web interface makes sense of the various signal and sensor information collected by the Panda, analyzing the information and interpreting it on a dashboard for your review. The company posted a video (Comma Cabana) of the software in action, showing off the data collection and analysis in real time.

Yep, I have tried it. But they are not interested in the powertrain bus, and have no definitions for it. That could be made though, but in the end, you have to use their adapter, and it does not work with Scan My Tesla. (I have it, and tried to support it, but it only implements half of the ELM327 standard)

Still, cabana+panda is a great canbus capturing platform I would say, cheap and easy. Though you data gets stuck on their servers, I couldn't find any way to get my data out, or other data in.

So I wrote my own analyzer: amund7/CANBUS-Analyzer

Using OBDLink LX, it seems the adapter goes to sleep automatically. When this happens, the app won't connect to the adapter. Does anyone here know how to avoid this?

I got the same issue, I can't reconnect to the adapter every time I enter the car. i need to unlpug and plug back in. If anyone has better ideas that would be great.

Haven't seen this before, my MX does not do this. Have you ran other apps that could have set some auto-sleep function? How should it be woken up?

Found this in the STN1110 (which both MX and LX are based on) spec sheet:
Note 2: Wireless add-on modules (Bluetooth, WiFi) are unpowered in sleep mode. Therefore, it is not possible to wake up the device over a wireless link.

So it seems to me you will have to de-configure that sleep mode, or make it sleep 'lighter' if that's an option, keeping the bluetooth chip powered.

Any info on how other apps do this, I recently heard (not tested myself) that TM Spy puts the device asleep. But how does TM Spy wake it back up again, or will you have the same problem with TM Spy, if you have used that app?

Reactions: hiroshiy
Haven't seen this before, my MX does not do this. Have you ran other apps that could have set some auto-sleep function? How should it be woken up?

So it seems to me you will have to de-configure that sleep mode, or make it sleep 'lighter' if that's an option, keeping the bluetooth chip powered.

Any info on how other apps do this, I recently heard (not tested myself) that TM Spy puts the device asleep. But how does TM Spy wake it back up again, or will you have the same problem with TM Spy, if you have used that app?

Weird, this is the only app that I used with it. I'll try playing around with it

Using OBDLink LX, it seems the adapter goes to sleep automatically. When this happens, the app won't connect to the adapter. Does anyone here know how to avoid this?

I have the same issue. After reading this I ordered another cheap ELM type adaptor that does not have a sleep function. It works with SMT but it’s missing a bunch of values are important to me. I’m guessing all ELM type adaptors are going to have similiar results?

I’ve plugged the LX back in for now. What I did was downgrade the fw back to 4.0 I belive. I upgraded the fw to the latest 4.x before installing it for the first time. We’ll see if that’ll fix the sleep issue. BTW, there’s no way to adjust or turn off the LX sleep modes as far I can see from their own app.

• Helpful

amund7,

It looks like apps do have the ability to change the sleep parameters. Please take a look at this thread and see if you can incorporate a “do not sleep” option in the next release. Here’s the reference. Obdlink LX BT killing car battery

• Helpful
I have the same issue. After reading this I ordered another cheap ELM type adaptor that does not have a sleep function. It works with SMT but it’s missing a bunch of values are important to me. I’m guessing all ELM type adaptors are going to have similiar results?

The problem is an ELM device is too slow to get all the data, and the more rare packets will drown in other traffic and never get picked up. That is why the app has different tabs, and hardware filters that lets the OBD device filter out the packets you show. Try the default tabs, they should all be working well with any ELM device, but the All tab will be stuttering. (The readings you've gotten in other tabs will also show up under All, but might not update if lost in traffic)

About killing batteries, my OBDLink MX has been plugged in more or less 24/7 for 2 years, I do not buy the guy saying his battery dies every 3 days. How many milliamps can a dongle like this really pull? Not much.

While the sleep function sounds great, OBDLink's own manual (that I quoted further up) states that asleep the wireless is off, and there is no way to wake the adapter up again. Unless, perhaps if the canbus goes completely silent when your car sleeps, and the new traffic when the car wakes will wake the car?

I did flash my MX a while back, but maybe there's a new firmware now that is causing this behaviour?

About sleep settings, Scan My Tesla does NOT change these. But it looks from that thread that Torque does?

The whole command set is here: https://www.scantool.net/downloads/98/stn1100-frpm.pdf
You can use an app (I have used BlueTerm) or your PC to connect to the adapter, and type any of these commands directly to your adapter.
For fun, you can type 'STM' and see what Scan My Tesla will see.
Let me know what you find.

I would prefer that Scan My Tesla does not mess with people's adapter settings, unless it is really required for the app to work.

• Helpful
The problem is an ELM device is too slow to get all the data, and the more rare packets will drown in other traffic and never get picked up. That is why the app has different tabs, and hardware filters that lets the OBD device filter out the packets you show. Try the default tabs, they should all be working well with any ELM device, but the All tab will be stuttering. (The readings you've gotten in other tabs will also show up under All, but might not update if lost in traffic)

About killing batteries, my OBDLink MX has been plugged in more or less 24/7 for 2 years, I do not buy the guy saying his battery dies every 3 days. How many milliamps can a dongle like this really pull? Not much.

While the sleep function sounds great, OBDLink's own manual (that I quoted further up) states that asleep the wireless is off, and there is no way to wake the adapter up again. Unless, perhaps if the canbus goes completely silent when your car sleeps, and the new traffic when the car wakes will wake the car?

I did flash my MX a while back, but maybe there's a new firmware now that is causing this behaviour?

About sleep settings, Scan My Tesla does NOT change these. But it looks from that thread that Torque does?

The whole command set is here: https://www.scantool.net/downloads/98/stn1100-frpm.pdf
You can use an app (I have used BlueTerm) or your PC to connect to the adapter, and type any of these commands directly to your adapter.
For fun, you can type 'STM' and see what Scan My Tesla will see.
Let me know what you find.

I would prefer that Scan My Tesla does not mess with people's adapter settings, unless it is really required for the app to work.
Thanks for the info! I use SMT and TM-Spy on OBDLink LX and both app won't be able to connect after several hours. Haven't tested sending command to the adapter, but in the manual section 10.2, all sleep triggers seem to be off by default. In my case even after factory reset it stops working after several hours. That's why I'm skeptical about sleep being the cause of the problem.

But to diagnose I would like to send some commands - is there a good app for smartphones? I tried OBDLink official app but it didn't connect to the adapter, which I think because Tesla CAN3 is a bit different from normal cars. I need to check the response from SLCS command, right?

I
So, I was able to turn off the sleep functions via a BT terminal. I’ll see if that fixes things.
Found BlueTerm app on Android. It connects to the adapter, but doesn't show command prompt as described in the manual. I tried to SLCS<CR> and STSLCS<CR>but no response. It echoes back what I typed, so the connection is indeed working.
What app did you use?

Also I found that when the adapter is not connecting to SMT, the power LED is on and not blinking. This means, according to the manual, the adapter is not sleeping...

I

Found BlueTerm app on Android. It connects to the adapter, but doesn't show command prompt as described in the manual. I tried to SLCS<CR> and STSLCS<CR>but no response. It echoes back what I typed, so the connection is indeed working.
What app did you use?

Also I found that when the adapter is not connecting to SMT, the power LED is on and not blinking. This means, according to the manual, the adapter is not sleeping...

I couldn’t get blueterm to connect so I downloaded bluetooth terminal. The commands start with “st” ie. “stslcs” should print the current power settings. “stslu off, off” should turn off the sleep function. You’ll also need to do a “atz” to reset the unit before entering “stslsc” to confirm the changes.

• Informative

So the adapter is not sleeping after all.

Can you explain what the app does, or does not do? Error messages? Will it work with a restart of the app, or re-select bluetooth adapter?

Can you explain what the app does, or does not do? Error messages? Will it work with a restart of the app, or re-select bluetooth adapter?
The app tries to connect, and displays "initializing adapter" message. After that error is displayed.
Rebooting app or phone doesn't fix this. When I disconnect the adapter from TDC and reconnect, it starts working again. Will test tomorrow using Bluetooth Terminal app to disable sleep just in case.

The app tries to connect, and displays "initializing adapter" message. After that error is displayed.
Rebooting app or phone doesn't fix this. When I disconnect the adapter from TDC and reconnect, it starts working again. Will test tomorrow using Bluetooth Terminal app to disable sleep just in case.

It almost seems like it's a phone /adapter issue where it won't automatically re-pair. Did your other app work without resetting the adapter?

It almost seems like it's a phone /adapter issue where it won't automatically re-pair. Did your other app work without resetting the adapter?
In my case when SMT stops working, TM-Spy also stops working. It is not the case that the phone lost pairing with OBDLink LX, because after disconnecting and reconnecting the adapter, it works again.

But it is possible that the phone might have compatibility issues with OBDLink LX. My phone is Essential PH-1. Also, LELink adapter doesn't have this problem with both SMT and TM-Spy.