Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Scan My Tesla, a CANBUS reader for Android

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So the adapter is not sleeping after all.

Can you explain what the app does, or does not do? Error messages? Will it work with a restart of the app, or re-select bluetooth adapter?

OK I did some testing today. It appears it's the app, not the adapter. The OBDLink doesn't go to sleep, the Bluetooth led flashes all the time.
I tested the following :
Unplug and plug OBDLink back in
Connect SMC and it connected
Connect blue terminal app and it connected
Left the car
Came back about 6 hours later
Tried to connect SMC and it would not connect, error like the screen shot attached
Tried to connect blue terminal and it connected fine
Tried to connect SMC again and would not connect still
Unplugged OBDLink and plugged back in, connected.

So I figure if I can connect another app after some time with no problems, SMC is the issue

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180520-093747.png
    Screenshot_20180520-093747.png
    122.3 KB · Views: 134
  • Screenshot_20180520-093747.png
    Screenshot_20180520-093747.png
    122.3 KB · Views: 92
OK I did some testing today. It appears it's the app, not the adapter. The OBDLink doesn't go to sleep, the Bluetooth led flashes all the time.

So I figure if I can connect another app after some time with no problems, SMC is the issue

Sounds like a fair conclusion.

As far as I can understand from the MX and LX documentation, bluetooth led flashing means it is trying to pair ? At least not connected. Or maybe that's what you meant, the adapter is ready for connection, and not sleeping?

Which exact steps do you do in the other app that works (terminal), is there a select, or pairing process?

Would scan my tesla work if you
1. turn bluetooth comms off then on (left menu)
2. re-select the adapter
3. turn bluetooth off then on before starting the app (on your phone)

Could you also test what would happen if another app is already connected to the adapter? Such as running the terminal in the background, then starting scan my tesla? I know it won't work, but I am curious as to which errors you would see. Of course then you should see the adapter bluetooth lamp steady on instead of blinking.

btw both screenshots are the same.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: hiroshiy
Sounds like a fair conclusion.

As far as I can understand from the MX and LX documentation, bluetooth led flashing means it is trying to pair ? At least not connected. Or maybe that's what you meant, the adapter is ready for connection, and not sleeping?

Which exact steps do you do in the other app that works (terminal), is there a select, or pairing process?

Would scan my tesla work if you
1. turn bluetooth comms off then on (left menu)
2. re-select the adapter
3. turn bluetooth off then on before starting the app (on your phone)

Could you also test what would happen if another app is already connected to the adapter? Such as running the terminal in the background, then starting scan my tesla? I know it won't work, but I am curious as to which errors you would see. Of course then you should see the adapter bluetooth lamp steady on instead of blinking.

btw both screenshots are the same.

Really strange. Just went out to do the above and both apps wouldn't connect to the LX. Now I'm thinking this is a device issue. I'll try again in a few hours and see if both don't connect again. Maybe I wasn't away from the LX long enough yesterday as I walked by the car with the phone a few times.

• Informative
Really strange. Just went out to do the above and both apps wouldn't connect to the LX. Now I'm thinking this is a device issue. I'll try again in a few hours and see if both don't connect again. Maybe I wasn't away from the LX long enough yesterday as I walked by the car with the phone a few times.

See if you can find a pattern or a way to consistently make it fail (car asleep? Phone bluetooth disconnected? other things)

Because LX *should* work, several users have said it works well, which is why I am reccommending it. I also thought it should behave the same as the MX, which I have owned for years, and also firmware updated not too long ago. So this problem you both are having is very strange. Keep us posted with your findings.

I do have two users who has a weird problem with MX, when their car goes to sleep the app can not reconnect, without power cycling/unplugging the adapter. We have tried to understand this problem for a long time, also why I am not seeing it. Only clue so far is they both have samsung phones. If this is the same problem you are seeing, please let me know, maybe I can learn something new.

The funny thing about you 2 with LX + the other 2 with MX, is that nobody else seems to have the same problem. So if we could find either a firmware difference, or something do do with sleep settings that the app could adjust to fix it, that would be awesome.

• Helpful
Mine seems to be working fine now after turning off the sleep function. My car hasn’t been driven for 3 days now. I worke it up today and SMT connected just fine. I’m on the latest fw version. I find that SMT will not connect even if the car is not sleeping as per teslafi if the mcu is off. I had to open the door to turn on the mcu before it would connect.

Mine seems to be working fine now after turning off the sleep function. My car hasn’t been driven for 3 days now. I worke it up today and SMT connected just fine. I’m on the latest fw version. I find that SMT will not connect even if the car is not sleeping as per teslafi if the mcu is off. I had to open the door to turn on the mcu before it would connect.

How did you turn off the sleep function?

The app connects, but if the car is sleeping, there is sometimes no data on the canbus, then after 30 sec it will give a timeout, and try to reconnect, correct?

The app connects, but if the car is sleeping, there is sometimes no data on the canbus, then after 30 sec it will give a timeout, and try to reconnect, correct?

Just to be clear. The car is not sleeping as I’ve unlocked the car with the key fob but have not opened any doors. The MCU is not on at this point and is blank/black. At this point, I get the same error as Lukez. I’m also not able to connect via BT terminal, so it’s not a SMT error. As soon as I open a door (MCU comes on) I’m able to connect.

After my previous posts everything is working now
I tried turning off the sleep functions that morning of testing when I posted but i wasn't getting any response to the commands so I figured they didn't go through. But it seems like they did and that fixed the issue.
It's weird though because the LX is behaving the exact same way, the blue bluetooth light always flashes when not connected to it (in sleep or not)

After my previous posts everything is working now
I tried turning off the sleep functions that morning of testing when I posted but i wasn't getting any response to the commands so I figured they didn't go through. But it seems like they did and that fixed the issue.
It's weird though because the LX is behaving the exact same way, the blue bluetooth light always flashes when not connected to it (in sleep or not)
I'm still testing. When you enter commands, what app did you use? I tried BlueTerm but it didn't work. Instead I used Bluetooth Terminal by Qwerty and it worked. I checked Append Newline in the Settings.

Did you see letters as you type? This is called echo, usualyu all serial devices echo letters as you type. Also after you enter stslcs<enter> command, did you see command prompt? Then you enter stslu off,off<enter> and then you need to enter atz<enter> to make changes effect.

I'm still testing. When you enter commands, what app did you use? I tried BlueTerm but it didn't work. Instead I used Bluetooth Terminal by Qwerty and it worked. I checked Append Newline in the Settings.

Did you see letters as you type? This is called echo, usualyu all serial devices echo letters as you type. Also after you enter stslcs<enter> command, did you see command prompt? Then you enter stslu off,off<enter> and then you need to enter atz<enter> to make changes effect.
Blue terminal
I was able to type those commands and they showed on the command screen but I didn't see any feedback, just my commands. And I thought atz would reset or reboot the device but it didn't seem like anything happened.
So it probably did everything I just expected to see some kind of feedback

Blue terminal
I was able to type those commands and they showed on the command screen but I didn't see any feedback, just my commands. And I thought atz would reset or reboot the device but it didn't seem like anything happened.
So it probably did everything I just expected to see some kind of feedback
I hate to sound repetitive but you did check "Append Newline" in the Setup screen of Blue Terminal, correct? It seems Blue Terminal sends CRLF with Enter, only when this option is checked.

I am a bit confused. Is everything OK now? For all of you?

Are there sleep settings I need to control from the app, or were your problems unrelated?

Can you sum up what really was the problem, so I can understand, maybe the app also can understand and give appropriate messages, to help other users understand?

I am a bit confused. Is everything OK now? For all of you?

Are there sleep settings I need to control from the app, or were your problems unrelated?

Can you sum up what really was the problem, so I can understand, maybe the app also can understand and give appropriate messages, to help other users understand?

After all of this, I believe the LX goes to sleep but does not look any different while it's asleep (bluetooth LED flashing). It doesn't wake up after entering the car either. The only way I was able to get it to wake up was unplug and plug back in.
After using blue terminal and sending the commands in the posts above, it hasn't went back to sleep and I can connect with the app every time now.
So I guess you can send those commands to turn off the sleep function on the LX during first install/connection/pairing?