Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seat Belt Recall in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"Tesla Motors announced this morning it is issuing a voluntary recall for every Model S ever made to inspect the front seat belts after a customer’s seat belt came apart. No one was hurt or injured, but the automaker is still asking customers to bring their cars in to check out a bolt in the seat belt assembly."

http://jalopnik.com/tesla-to-voluntarily-recall-every-model-s-because-a-sea-1743755992

ALSO:

http://www.cnbc.com/2015/11/20/tesla-recalling-90000-model-s-sedans-due-to-possible-seat-belt-defect.html

------

Comment:

I would have thought that every single car has every single seat-belt physically tested in the brute-force way. That of course may not solve the problem of a seat-belt getting 'unhooked' by a turning passenger. I think Tesla has done the right thing though deciding to physically inspect each and every Tesla every made to see which if any other cars were made defectively. It is not just that seat belts are matters of life and death. It is also because Tesla prides itself on being the safest car in the world - ever; but also no doubt because checking a seat belt bolt costs less than peanuts! I mean economics always plays a factor in these kinds of things. If you deny that, you may as well deny the existence of commercial companies. Happily this particular recall is not a particularly expensive recall and neither is it too inconvenient for the customer who will probably be asked to wait while the inspection takes place.

Just what I was wondering.
I'll try their phone number on Monday.
I'll be happy enough to wait till late 2016 when there will be SuperChargers from Brisbane to Sydney so I can drive the car the 1000km to the nearest service centre if needs be.

Stopped at the Richmond supercharger today on our way home. One of the service techs was on duty and came over to ask if he could do the inspection right then and there. I said yes, so he looked in the car for about two minutes and voila: recall complete! What brilliant service from Tesla Aus, and now no need for me to book in and make a special visit :)

Stopped at the Richmond supercharger today on our way home. One of the service techs was on duty and came over to ask if he could do the inspection right then and there. I said yes, so he looked in the car for about two minutes and voila: recall complete! What brilliant service from Tesla Aus, and now no need for me to book in and make a special visit :)

I wonder what exactly he did? Today I pulled the lap part of the front belts as hard as I could. Car stayed together. According to the email, I am still supposed to get it inspected. But is that because they don't trust anybody to yank it?

Bad luck if you live in Perth or exported a car to New Zealand.
I'm very certain a tesla tech will look after you. I've already been advised that tesla are working on a plan for a few weeks time for all cars distant from a SC. This just adds to the incredible after sales service of tesla. Any other brand would bury this as trivial and unproven.

- - - Updated - - -

As a comparison, when my brand new bmw x3 self accelerated (as in flat out) 3 times, bmw did nothing but deny, even though by simple google searching it was clear my x3 was not the first or only X3 inflicted with the problem. No recall, no care, no more bmw!